Cats wandering off their designated zone

Started by Yoshida Keiji, December 02, 2021, 11:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

I made a zone exclusively for cats, different but overlapping for the zone of dogs. I had two consecutive raids, first of mechanoids and then a tribal. The mechanoids raid was defeated but my city walls were breached and didn`t had time to fill up the holes in time. So my fighters retreat to the recreation room that had the pet zones but I noticed now that my cats were opening the doors even when their specific zones are two tiles to the inside of the room.

Is this a "new" game development failure?

Canute

Does the cat's got attacked ?
Then i think it is legit that they can flee outside the allowed zone. But they will return once they arn't at flee/panic anymore.

RedPine

There are a few possibilities.  First is the 'obvious' troubleshooting:

Were the cats assigned to the right zone? 
Did you reassign them to the right zone AFTER making changes to their zone?
Were the cats fleeing or otherwise pushed out of their zone?

Now for the 'advanced' troubleshooting:
Was the animal walking from 'inside the zone' to another spot 'inside the zone'?  Pawns can path outside their zone as long as their destination is also inside their zone, EVEN IF the path inbetween is outside their zone!  You can usually prevent this by making the entire zone a single square with no corners.

Were the doors leading outside forbidden?  IDK if animals respect this, but colonists should.

Lastly, when in doubt, you can prevent pathing by building a solid wall in front of any door you don't want used.