Post Your Base

Started by thestalkinghead, November 05, 2013, 03:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanting

Quote from: Ric on November 16, 2013, 06:34:44 AM
On another note, your agave field is nice. Was it that size when you started your world or have you cultivated it somehow to grow it over that large area? i'm intrigued as it's something I've not tried yet.

The agave field grew from one agave plant over the course of the game. There's no way to "cultivate" it but you can help promote its natural spread. You may have noticed that there is a lack of grass in the vicinity of the base, this is to help the agave seed's chance of finding a free patch of soil to spread to. The only downside to this is that it takes a long time for the field to grow into a size that can sustain a population but as long as there is plenty of soil to spread to it will grow into it eventually.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Xanting on November 16, 2013, 05:29:04 PMThe agave field grew from one agave plant over the course of the game. There's no way to "cultivate" it but you can help promote its natural spread. You may have noticed that there is a lack of grass in the vicinity of the base, this is to help the agave seed's chance of finding a free patch of soil to spread to. The only downside to this is that it takes a long time for the field to grow into a size that can sustain a population but as long as there is plenty of soil to spread to it will grow into it eventually.

That sounds like a fuckload of micro, that could be wiped out in the course of one molotov cocktail. :)
Raiders must die!

Xanting

Its actually not as bad as you would think. Grass spreads reasonably slow and depending on how many colonists you have you only need to do about 2 passes over the area you want to clear. With a few well placed walls you can prevent grass from regrowing into your field. Plus the storyteller seems to have a habit of calling in rain when there is fire.

DeltaV

There's my current one, just about ready to move on to a new one. Tough Kassandra, eleven colonists. As you can see, it's a nice natural barrier because it means there's only one way into the colony, but I have too many colonists, so some end up on the sandbags instead of the walls during fights.

The closest the colony came to destruction was a while back, when a full-scale, coordinated boomrat assault (I swear, there were at least twenty of them dead by the time it all ended) was followed almost immediately by ~20 raiders. As you can see in the picture, I don't believe in killboxes, and the entire front line was aflame so my colonists were forced to fight behind any cover they could find. Several were incapacitated, but thankfully only one guy was killed and I got myself a prisoner from said raid to replace him.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

todofwar

Wow, some of these make me ashamed to post mine, but here it is. Quite simple, no turrets, the terrain really helps me out allot.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Rusknight

Here is my baby

I play at Tough Cassandra Classic mode and have no problems with it. As you can see I don't use auto-turrets for defence. Instead of this I use blasting charges - which are much more powerfull. Those enemies who are not killed by charges are killed by my collonists in a shot range gunplay. With blasting charges I annihilate groups of 30-40 raiders by my 14 collonists easily and without any losses from my side. Capturing of wounded raiders also provides me with new collonists for my base.

Lechai

Here is my current base. It has 102 colonists and no turrets.

Sorry its not very detailed to look at, but i kinda had to zoom all the way out to fit it in the screen, you still cant see half the geothermal gens or the solar farm, but that's not terribly important.

It contains the Following:
Bedrooms: 101 (was 1 short at the time of the screenshot)
Mess Hall: 5
Battery Storage: 4
Armory: 5
Greenhouses: 2
Geothermal Gen's: 4
Solar Gen's: 38
Prison Beds: 8
Conservatory Gardens
Recreational Room
Communications Room
Commanders Quarters (A massive pimped out room for the only survivor of my initial 3 colonists)
Stockpiles: 3
Avenue of Honor (A Walkway lined with graves and flowers for fallen brave defenders)

ItchyFlea

Decided to experiment with the effects of covering the entire map with concrete then walling it off.
Results were.... interesting.

Here's the save: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qa7x4eocacxc6g2/Peaceful.7z

All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

W1Z25

Quote from: ItchyFlea on November 17, 2013, 07:06:15 PM
Decided to experiment with the effects of covering the entire map with concrete then walling it off.

it reminds me of that episode of Spongebob where everything was chromed

Nirolosa

Quote from: ItchyFlea on November 17, 2013, 07:06:15 PM

I never noticed that they took damage before, the boomrats especially.
I believe in magic because it's the only way to explain how fitted sheets get folded.

Ric

Quote from: Xanting on November 16, 2013, 05:29:04 PM
Quote from: Ric on November 16, 2013, 06:34:44 AM
On another note, your agave field is nice. Was it that size when you started your world or have you cultivated it somehow to grow it over that large area? i'm intrigued as it's something I've not tried yet.

The agave field grew from one agave plant over the course of the game. There's no way to "cultivate" it but you can help promote its natural spread. You may have noticed that there is a lack of grass in the vicinity of the base, this is to help the agave seed's chance of finding a free patch of soil to spread to. The only downside to this is that it takes a long time for the field to grow into a size that can sustain a population but as long as there is plenty of soil to spread to it will grow into it eventually.

Cool, thx. I assumed it couldn't be planted but wanted to check. I'll give it a shot soon. :)
it would be nice to have different crops in the future to plant/feed your colonists with or trade for different prices.

dgsmith80

Hi all, very new to the game saw a few video's on YT and decided to take the plunge, was playing PA previously (still am but waiting for next alpha release).

This is a nice little game so far interested to see where it goes (very addictive hehe).

Here is my first real base, first few I tried went horribly wrong and I died within the first few raids lol. I actually started off just to the right of where my base is now but I beehives for the Thermo generator and a nice corner to defend has worked fairly well so far. I have been alternating between explosives, turrets and colonists to fight waves and see what works best, only needed all 3 ones for a massive 20 person raid. phew ;-) Running out of things to do now though so might end this one soon and try a harder level, this was the Chilled Cassandra I think?

Makropony

Here it is. Don't mind the burning stuff. I got really bored to this moment and was just watching them..

This is my 5th and last (to this moment) try.

Facechild

My 3rd play-through has been quite successful, I decided to play on Randy Random because I'm a rebel.
Over-all base.

Minefield and patented Gibbet funnel

Trotom

My first game. It's very flowery base, becouse I wanted to give them something to do.