Storyteller Balance Issues

Started by Adeelos, November 05, 2013, 04:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adeelos

Once I reached the fourth cycle (on Cassandra classic) the only random events I received from then on were raider attacks (which stayed at 5-10 members), crop blight, mad animal(s), and the occasional cargo salvage event. Difficulty of the raiders did not ramp up, wandering colonists no longer appeared, and there were no escape pod crashes.

This continued until I finally saved and quit on the 17th cycle, locked at eight colonists all the way from the fourth cycle. Incidentally, I was unable to incapacitate any raiders at all during this and was forced to kill them (assuming they didn't run).

EDIT: Update subject to better reflect what is actually happening

British

It's probably more akin to balancing/tweaking than bug.

Did you get trade ships during those 13 cycles ?

Bobthefarmer1

Same thing with me, I also got no trading ships since the 4th cycle.

SteveAdamo

there may be an issue with trade notifications / and playing at increased speed settings...

we have a discussion on the testers forum, and i'm not quite sure if we've ironed out what (if any) the problem might be...

Leird

Yeah, same happende here. No tradeships, colonists and only really rarely a rapid animal!

Adeelos

I still got the occasional trade ship. I went through a tradeship dry spell between the second and eighth cycles, and then it started bringing trade ships again about once a cycle.

DeltaV

Exact same issue here. I'm not getting anything but mad animals, though, and even then it's only an individual. Raider attacks are also getting rare.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

skittles32009

i concur. no tradeships for me, same events as listed above and i've only incapacitated 1 raider...ever... in any game at any cycle.

Pudgy McFudge

I built my comm array late and got a lot of trading ships at later cycles because of it, sometimes multiples at once. However, once I had seen them all I haven't had one in possibly ten cycles.

I have, however, been able to incap a few raiders by sending my dudes to melee attack them. The incap problem may be because all of my dudes have m24s and they wind up killing whoever they shoot at with one volley. It's possible that they are incapped by one shot only to die on the ground by another. It seems that lower damage weapons have a better chance of knocking them out. I'm going to test this out by giving them all pistols and seeing what happens.

edit: I gave everyone M-16s and I was able to incap a raider at cycle 21. However he wound up dying when the rest of the volleys hit him on the ground.

edit 2: I gave everyone enfields for the next raid and was able to incap and capture a raider. This made the fight harder than it had to be and I wound up losing a dude and 3 others were wounded and had to be rescued. It may be possible to rack up tons of prisoners if you arm your dudes with less deadly weapons against smaller raiding gangs.

DaNewb

I also have the same problem, after the 4th cycle i have had only 8 raiders appear and one time i also had a crop blight.  No traders, no wreckage falling, no more random visitors, no more animals gone mad.  I have currently played until the 16th cycle.  Here are a few things i have tried to do to fix/alleviate the problem unsuccessfully:
1) I have attempted save and loading the game, both just returning to the main menu and completely closing down rimworld.
2) I have sold my com center and rebuilt it later in an attempt to refresh the traders.  This was also unsuccessful.

Adeelos

On further testing with a few new worlds, I've found that the instant the colony has eight members, most other random events stop. It does not matter what cycle you're in, once you've reached eight colonists (which is usually around the fourth cycle if you've been playing well anyway) the following occurs:

• Psychic wave ceases (mass wildlife attack)
  • Electrical short circuits are highly uncommon (over sixteen cycles, I've had three short circuits, although I think this is fine as it is)
  • Raider parties do not increase in difficulty, maintain at about 6-8 members
  • Individual animal attacks uncommon
  • Slave trader cease to appear anymore
  • All other traders usually only occur once or twice in a given cycle
  • Wandering colonists cease to appear
  • Eclipses and solar flares seem unaffected

Pudgy McFudge

I get a lot of animal attacks still but no wanderers. I got a resource drop once.

It seems like the AI story teller is just trying it's best to kill me but can't generate a large enough raider party. It's definitely not trying to help me out. I haven't seen a trading ship in a long, long time.

Lechai

Yep, i had the same thing, i think the max colonists i could get was about 10ish

The only events to occur were raider attacks.
Apart from that i had 2 blights and a few different weather patterns in like 14 cycles.
Biggest raider wave was about 12 (from memory).
i then lost 4 colonists in an unfortunate turret explosion and then within minutes got a slave trade ship...
Kasandra Feels very controlling atm

Schenton

I have played a few "Tough Kassandra" worlds and more or less the same happen here too. I didn't get a single trader on two of my worlds. I got three traders on one of them. And the first one didn't go to well so no info on that one. Raiders do scale up but slowly, Largest raid so far is 14. Raids is almost the only thing that happens. A mad animal for every 5-6 raid. and that's it. Unless you count rain and eclipses as random events.

Ohh I played 1 Randy Random. With all the wanderers I managed to have around 8 people in my base before the first raid showed up. Only two of my settlers had a gun and the other nothing. but My base had good defenses with turrets so I wasn't worried. When the 6 raiders started moving at my base that event that shut down all electricity happened and left my 2 gunmen to face 6 well armed raiders. It didn't go well. I don't remember how many merchants (if any) I had. I am sure that no weapon traders showed up.

Adeelos

Expanding the topic somewhat:

I somehow managed to incap a raider and captured them, bringing my colonist total up to 9. Every raider wave after that was a minimum of 10+, and other random events occurred even less frequently.