Theory about MECHANOIDS...its a bit interesting and scary...

Started by Zeta Omega, August 31, 2014, 02:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mechanoids....Can they be reasond with?

Yes
No
Unsure

Goo Poni

As Tynan said, Mechanoids are just things. To my knowledge, any largely autonomous robot that can carry out tasks without assistance appears to be called a mechanoid. From tanky Centipedes down to serving robots at fancy dress parties, they're all the same thing, a mechanoid.

They likely do hail from glitterworlds or urbworlds. Pretty much anywhere that's not as backwater as the rimworlds.

daft73

I added in unsure. Since generally Mechs are made by someone I figure that may play a role in how to approach them. Were they built with a friendly A.I. ..ie Data from Star Trek TNG, or with a hostile AI?
Slightly related link here about Mechanoids. PDF incoming..
The Mechanoids

Necronomocoins

A rogue AI goes crazy, manufacturing and distributing hostile mechanoids across the galaxy. (ala Skynet with it's Terminators, Shodan from System Shock 2, HAL from 2001 Space Odyssey). Sounds very plausible and was the assumption I made about why they were not in anyone's faction. I think if "re-programming" happens it should be an almost impossible achievement for even the most advanced colonies.

Zeta Omega

Quote from: Necronomocoins on September 07, 2014, 03:59:59 AM
A rogue AI goes crazy, manufacturing and distributing hostile mechanoids across the galaxy. (ala Skynet with it's Terminators, Shodan from System Shock 2, HAL from 2001 Space Odyssey). Sounds very plausible and was the assumption I made about why they were not in anyone's faction. I think if "re-programming" happens it should be an almost impossible achievement for even the most advanced colonies.
Hackers and programmers can do a lot of interesting stuff these days, Who says that a futuristic society like Rimworld cant reprogram a scythe to DEFEND then ATTACK

Eonoc

Quote from: Drahkon on August 31, 2014, 07:20:43 PM
Maybe Recover an AI core and rebuild it into a 'drone control center' which a researcher can use as a station to attempt to convert downed mechanoids into defense drones.

I feel this is a really good idea, seeing as the technology to coerce an AI into being a ships computer is there. Also mechanoids controlled by players would be very powerful, and the relative rarity of AI cores would mitigate this fact. Also it can force the player to make a perhaps difficult choice, escape on the ship or stay and have a ROBOTIC ARMY (in retrospect not so difficult a choice)

Zeta Omega

Quote from: Eonoc on September 08, 2014, 06:18:53 PM
Quote from: Drahkon on August 31, 2014, 07:20:43 PM
Maybe Recover an AI core and rebuild it into a 'drone control center' which a researcher can use as a station to attempt to convert downed mechanoids into defense drones.

I feel this is a really good idea, seeing as the technology to coerce an AI into being a ships computer is there. Also mechanoids controlled by players would be very powerful, and the relative rarity of AI cores would mitigate this fact. Also it can force the player to make a perhaps difficult choice, escape on the ship or stay and have a ROBOTIC ARMY (in retrospect not so difficult a choice)
99.99999% of army 0.00001% of leaving

Garen

so could all mechanoids be controlled by a single person/ai relaying a persons orders in the hive?

i think we found a new late game ending idea (Fight The HIVE!)

Shinzy

Quote from: Garen on September 12, 2014, 04:54:15 PM
so could all mechanoids be controlled by a single person/ai relaying a persons orders in the hive?

i think we found a new late game ending idea (Fight The HIVE!)

This makes me think of the final mission in the original Xcom =P
Just send your guys in the end for that one final mission with no turning back
and watch half of them get mind controlled and panic and shoot eachother right at the doorstep to the main base =P

then barely pull through it and shoot the brain issuing all the orders to the aliens
with your last four remaining guys

Tears were shed that day!

#Offtopic #Memories #Amazingclimax #Unlikethenewxcom #kkthxbai

InventorRaccoon

My idea is that you'd have to take parts from already destroyed or incapacitated mechanoids, either repair them or use pristine parts, build a new mechanoid and then get completely untouched sensory systems and an artificial brain. Afterwards you'd need to power it up an voila, you have a mechanoid that you can use to fight raiders, grow crops or blow up corpses, or maybe protect you from hordes of squirrels. The mechanoid could then be slowly repaired by someone with a high Construction skill if any non-vital parts are damaged, but the mechanoid don't regen. A vital part such as a sensory part or artificial brain must be replaced with a new one.

HatesYourFace

Quote from: Shinzy on September 12, 2014, 05:09:49 PM
This makes me think of the final mission in the original Xcom =P
Just send your guys in the end for that one final mission with no turning back
and watch half of them get mind controlled and panic and shoot eachother right at the doorstep to the main base =P

then barely pull through it and shoot the brain issuing all the orders to the aliens
with your last four remaining guys

Tears were shed that day!

#Offtopic #Memories #Amazingclimax #Unlikethenewxcom #kkthxbai

You mean the one that has pretty much the exact same ending? Where you send your team into the alien ship on a one way suicide mission that most of them won't come back from? The ship that's filled to the brim with mind controlling aliens? I'm not saying new Xcom is better than old Xcom (Xenonauts is better than both of them put together anyways.) but the ending was basically the same.

If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Zeta Omega

Xenonauts and X-com unknown and within....Man that takes me back all the way. Loved those mechs.

Matthiasagreen

So you all do know what comes along with this,right?

The centipede in the middle of your base as been revealed as a spy for the mechanoid raid party and is now trying to escape. It will attack all those who get in its path....
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

keylocke

i will swap the AI core with a potato!

because.. GLaDOS..

milon

Angie

I say strap on a saddle, christen her with the name Taun-Taun, and use her as a transportation device, exploring the land and feeding it slag and scrap metal to keep the inner-ragebeast at bay.