Firefighting tips

Started by RemingtonRyder, September 17, 2014, 09:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

So I discovered today that drafting colonists makes them fight fires in adjacent squares.

This is basically the best way to fight serious fires, because Rimworld by default assigns colonists with the Firefighting job to fight fires on an arbitrary basis, which is fine when there's a small fire that can be put out quickly, but potentially disastrous when a fire is left to blaze because someone half-way across the map has reserved it.

muffins

Yes. You either have to have a very small number of colonists with the fire-fighting job enabled, so that the chaps at the fire get all the fire-fighting tasks, or you use conscription. Having everyone in the colony tasked with fire-fighting (especially in large population Randy Random games) seems like a good idea until you get a big fire lol

EscapeZeppelin

I've had people walk away from a raging fire because it was lunch time and colonists who went crazy because complaining about being hungry is more important than trying to save your brand new spaceship from burning down.

Like hunger, the firefighting priorities in Rimworld are a little strange.

JimmyAgnt007

Laying down concrete on either side of power lines, geo plants, or really anything outside keeps fire from spreading.  ie. if plants are burning from a lightning strike then it wont burn your power lines you have running to your base because the concrete doesnt burn.  helps contain them.

as for everything else, i just limit the home region to whats on the concrete and my guys seem to be able to fight fires well enough without me really doing anything to manage it.

Feniks

I give most of my guys priority 1 for fire never really had a problem but then very rarely I see big fires. The way rain is coded at the moment is if you have large fire outisde there will be rain and extinguish it. I like idea with concrete around power lines and building I have to try it in my next playthrough.

milon

In my experience & tests, I found that any kind of flooring you put down won't burn.  That includes wood floors.  Go figure.

And while I haven't specifically tested it, I'm pretty sure that a power line running over concrete will still burn.  The concrete won't, of course, but I think the power line will.

JimmyAgnt007

power lines will burn if say, struck by lightning directly, but it wont spread.  and wildfires wont damage your stuff if you 'insulate' with flooring.  i pick concrete because its the cheapest.  tho it is odd wood floors wont burn lol

Funkmachine7

Useing floors you can build fire blocks around wall by place down floors in frount of them