Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this is helpful?

Yes
No
A bit
We should remove this now, I hate it
We should move this into the mod help area

Iwillbenicetou

This post will become irrelevant as most people will be using the steam workshop to buy and play this game. Thank you for all the support you have given me. I might post this on the Guide section in Steam for Rimworld.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Man_Jones

What do you mean by replacing the old folder with the new one? Is this about changing mod version or actually updating it (i.e. making an A13 mod work with A14). Speaking of which are there any A13 mods that work with A14?

Iwillbenicetou

What I mean with replacing the old folder with the new one, is downloading the current file of the mod (Alpha 14), and replacing the old file (Alpha 13). And Alpha 13 mods doesn't work with Alpha 14

Man_Jones

Thanks. Also is there a good tutorial anywhere here for updating a mod for a new game version?

Phenyll

Hi there !

I have a bit of a problem : none of the mods I install works. When I try to activate them, they appear in red and I can see a message stating that the version is unknown and the mod probably won't work.

Indeed they don't work. But the version is good. I tried re-downloading them, re-downloading the entire game, nothing changes.

Otherwise the game works perfectly fine but not being able to mod it bothers me...

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: Man_Jones on July 16, 2016, 11:00:16 PM
Thanks. Also is there a good tutorial anywhere here for updating a mod for a new game version?

Not really, though all you have to do is drag the new file into the Alpha 14 mod folder.

Quote from: Phenyll on July 17, 2016, 08:16:36 AM
Hi there !

I have a bit of a problem : none of the mods I install works. When I try to activate them, they appear in red and I can see a message stating that the version is unknown and the mod probably won't work.

Indeed they don't work. But the version is good. I tried re-downloading them, re-downloading the entire game, nothing changes.

Otherwise the game works perfectly fine but not being able to mod it bothers me...

What do you mean they don't work? Can you give me screenshots and mod names?

infinitewarp

FWIW, I think the last line here in the OP is wrong:

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 19, 2014, 08:11:57 PM
2) Include the file output_log.txt file. You can get here by going to where the Rimworld.exe/.app file is located. For PC users, open the RimWorld1135Win_Data file. For macs, right-click on Rimworld.app and click, Open Package Contents. You should find the RimWorld1135Mac_Data file, or something similar. Inside should be the Output_log.txt file.

From what I can tell, the Mac app does not write the output_log.txt file by default. I couldn't find any in the app bundle nor in the corresponding Library/Application Support folder. It seems that you have to start the app from the command line with extra arguments to write it. Here is where I figured this out:

Quote from: infinitewarp on July 17, 2016, 06:03:50 PMFor anyone else looking here for an answer to my question, the Mac apps actually behave like the Linux binaries in this case. There is no output_log.txt written by default, and to get the logs, you have to launch from the command line with an extra argument pair "-logfile FILENAME". In my case:

infinitewarp@Hackintosh:RimWorld1234Mac$ nohup ./RimWorld1234Mac.app/Contents/MacOS/RimWorld1234Mac -logfile ~/Desktop/output_log.txt &

Man_Jones

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on July 17, 2016, 05:44:10 PM

Not really, though all you have to do is drag the new file into the Alpha 14 mod folder.

Updating a mod so it works with a new version. (i.e. updating a mod that isn't yours but you like it and want to update it to be compatible with the new game version)

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: Man_Jones on July 17, 2016, 10:41:05 PM

Updating a mod so it works with a new version. (i.e. updating a mod that isn't yours but you like it and want to update it to be compatible with the new game version)
That requires a lot more than just simply changing a few lines. You have to learn xml and C# to actually update the mod. There is a wiki for editing Rimworld code. (The website actually appears to be taken down, or as the site says,
QuoteThe wiki is disabled for now. It's because the wiki site is really resource-intensive and stressful on the server, and has been causing it to crash. Currently upgrading hosting; this will come back when the site seems stable.

For now, though, there are lots of great tutorials about the game on YouTube!

Sorry about this.

Ty
This is the site if you want to try anyway

But after that, you have to analyze the source code for the latest file (not the correct Alpha version), you have to update the code to be compatible with the latest Alpha, and then modify it so it works in the mod file. Very long process, and if I didn't know xml or C# I would wait for the latest update.

Man_Jones

Well originally I was hoping to be able to update the combat realism and defense mods for myself but, well shit. I tried to make an rapidfire script once to try and have a better time on survarium but I didn't get satisfactory results. Eh at least skullywag plans to update at least realism.

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: infinitewarp on July 17, 2016, 06:10:38 PM
FWIW, I think the last line here in the OP is wrong:

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 19, 2014, 08:11:57 PM
2) Include the file output_log.txt file. You can get here by going to where the Rimworld.exe/.app file is located. For PC users, open the RimWorld1135Win_Data file. For macs, right-click on Rimworld.app and click, Open Package Contents. You should find the RimWorld1135Mac_Data file, or something similar. Inside should be the Output_log.txt file.

From what I can tell, the Mac app does not write the output_log.txt file by default. I couldn't find any in the app bundle nor in the corresponding Library/Application Support folder. It seems that you have to start the app from the command line with extra arguments to write it. Here is where I figured this out:

Quote from: infinitewarp on July 17, 2016, 06:03:50 PMFor anyone else looking here for an answer to my question, the Mac apps actually behave like the Linux binaries in this case. There is no output_log.txt written by default, and to get the logs, you have to launch from the command line with an extra argument pair "-logfile FILENAME". In my case:

infinitewarp@Hackintosh:RimWorld1234Mac$ nohup ./RimWorld1234Mac.app/Contents/MacOS/RimWorld1234Mac -logfile ~/Desktop/output_log.txt &
I'll add this in, but I think I need a bit more clarification

Phenyll

What do you mean they don't work? Can you give me screenshots and mod names?

I mean the game does not recognize the mods as working because of their (supposed) version, which appears to be unknown. You can see it in red in the top right corner of the image. It's the same problem for all the mods I tried.

The list :
- Bulk meals
- T's mods for more floors and more beds,  and expanded crops and clothes
- Door mat
- Natural surgery
- Expanded prosthesis and organ engeneering

Thank you !

Jaxxa

I have found that Incorrect version can indicate that you have not installed the mod correctly. Are you certain that you do not have the mod inside another folder. You should have Mods/ModName/About

The missing description would also indicate that to me.

Phenyll

I found the problem : with all my previous versions I used "extract to..." for unzipping my mods into the mod folder and it worked fine, but not this time. I tried with "extract here..." directly in the mod folder and it worked !

Thank you guys for your time and very sorry for wasting it  :-[

Iwillbenicetou

Updated with new colors. Tell me how you think, and if I should change them