Blank Screen Startup Mac OS X 10.9.4 and 10.9.5

Started by jotapeh, October 01, 2014, 11:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieform

Does Unity not throw an error you can handle somewhere if a graphics device context fails to acquire?

Unity forums suggest that people end up with black in fullscreen if they choose an unsupported resolution, though in this case the user isnt manually selecting one -- so gracefully detecting and falling back would probably be the best bet if you can catch it programatically.

Tynan

Quote from: Dieform on October 02, 2014, 01:45:08 PM
Does Unity not throw an error you can handle somewhere if a graphics device context fails to acquire?

Unity forums suggest that people end up with black in fullscreen if they choose an unsupported resolution, though in this case the user isnt manually selecting one -- so gracefully detecting and falling back would probably be the best bet if you can catch it programatically.

People are running A6 without issue, but A7 fails in the same resolution, so that's unlikely to be an issue. In any cases Unity doesn't expose anything related to graphics contexts to me.

I'm suspecting it may be related to full screen postprocess effects.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Mystic

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2014, 01:08:43 PM
Okay, thanks for the info Mystic.

EDIT: Yeah, this bug is brutal. There is nothing at all in that log file!

Yeah.  I don't know Unity at all, but even to my eyes that log file looked pretty devoid of any messages pertinent to this.  And the in-game behavior suggests that everything thinks it is working normally.  Can you at least reproduce it on a locally accessible Mac, I hope?  ('Cause otherwise its going to be even harder to track down.)

Tynan

Quote from: Mystic on October 02, 2014, 02:16:27 PM

Yeah.  I don't know Unity at all, but even to my eyes that log file looked pretty devoid of any messages pertinent to this.  And the in-game behavior suggests that everything thinks it is working normally.  Can you at least reproduce it on a locally accessible Mac, I hope?  ('Cause otherwise its going to be even harder to track down.)

Unfortuantely I don't even own one. I'm installing one on a VM. I know someone who would let me borrow one too.

Mystic

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2014, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: Mystic on October 02, 2014, 02:16:27 PM

Unfortuantely I don't even own one. I'm installing one on a VM. I know someone who would let me borrow one too.

Hmm, and the VM doesn't show this behavior, I suppose.  That does make it rough.  :(

If you make any test builds (perhaps with extra logging, switches for testing, etc) that you'd like to have evaluated on the actual hardware in regards to this issue, you can certainly contact me via email.

asciiface

Same here,

Retina 15"
2.6GHz i7
16GB DDR3
Nvidia GFCE GT 750M (2048MB)

Yours for testing if you make test builds.

I am also experiencing the bug in alpha 7

Tynan

Quote from: Mystic on October 02, 2014, 02:27:59 PM
If you make any test builds (perhaps with extra logging, switches for testing, etc) that you'd like to have evaluated on the actual hardware in regards to this issue, you can certainly contact me via email.

Thanks. We may have to do that. Much appreciated.

Tynan

I actually was able to repro this in a VM.

Mystic

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2014, 03:35:38 PM

Excellent ... that should give you a fighting chance against it.  Go get 'em!  :)

Tynan

Tynan

Quote from: Mystic on October 02, 2014, 03:46:37 PM

Excellent ... that should give you a fighting chance against it.  Go get 'em!  :)

Just confirm this for me - did the bug appear in actual gameplay, or only in the menus? If you start a game and then switch to fullscreen in-game goes it go black?

Mystic

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2014, 04:11:05 PM
Quote from: Mystic on October 02, 2014, 03:46:37 PM

Just confirm this for me - did the bug appear in actual gameplay, or only in the menus? If you start a game and then switch to fullscreen in-game goes it go black?

Yes, it goes black when switching during actual colony game play, as well as when in the starting menu.

stefanstr

To make it even weirder... Alpha 7 works perfectly in fullscreen mode on my MacBook Pro Retina 15“. No issues so far.

Mystic

Quote from: stefanstr on October 02, 2014, 04:59:19 PM
To make it even weirder... Alpha 7 works perfectly in fullscreen mode on my MacBook Pro Retina 15�. No issues so far.

Curious.  Is there any chance that you already had been running Alpha 6 in fullscreen, so that Alpha 7 was in fullscreen by default when you started it up?  (Because that works on my system, too.)  If that's the case, can you try switching Alpha 7 to windowed mode and then back to see if you then experience the problem?

stefanstr

Quote from: Mystic on October 02, 2014, 05:05:27 PM
Quote from: stefanstr on October 02, 2014, 04:59:19 PM
To make it even weirder... Alpha 7 works perfectly in fullscreen mode on my MacBook Pro Retina 15�. No issues so far.

Curious.  Is there any chance that you already had been running Alpha 6 in fullscreen, so that Alpha 7 was in fullscreen by default when you started it up?  (Because that works on my system, too.)  If that's the case, can you try switching Alpha 7 to windowed mode and then back to see if you then experience the problem?

Yes, that is exactly my case. Although I have deleted all RimWorld related data in Caches to have a new start. I will try it later to move to windowed mode and back to fullscreen, but right now I will not, knowing that it might make it difficult for me to play. I like Alpha 7 too much. ;)