[MODE REQUEST / IDEA] "fast lanes": quick movement for colonists

Started by kentauros87, October 20, 2014, 12:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentauros87

In mid-late game, the colony extension become a problem. A colonist spends a lot of time travelling, does only one job, then he goes away for lunch or to rest. So here's the idea: something able to let the colonists to move very fast.

1) mass transit: a "fixed system" with entities like a railroad with small carts (lol) or even golf caddies, but it would be too difficult to program and too OP.

2) "conveyor belts" for people: another idea. A walkable building with only one direction allowed and a speed bonus" for who walks on it. Or simply a floor with bonus speed.

neronix17

Not 100% sure about this so I am probably wrong but doesn't the vanilla game have floors that make colonists walk slightly faster? I'm guessing not fast enough if it does...

Matthiasagreen

someone at one point messed around and made a floor type with a insane walkspeed, so it is do-able, but I don't think a mod actually came from it.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

kentauros87

constructed floors give a small speed boost, but nothing much. So it's realizable, good

mrofa

Well it can be done in xml easy just lower the <patchcost> to - value
All i do is clutter all around.

Jaxxa

Yeah, you should be able to change the walk speed of a surface to something crazy.

I think the main issue with the other ideas would be more getting the AI Colonists to automatically take advantage of them, in addition to programing them.

Matthiasagreen

Don't the colonists already have the AI to find the quickest route? I mean they zig zag through bushes to walk through soil more, I think they would already know that paved areas are quicker.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Igabod

Request granted. I modified the already existing floors to increase the walk speed on them. Some effect it more than others. Have fun! Click here for the forum thread

Jstank

It does give a small speed boost. Best thing is when colonist chooses to walk somewhere they path to the least resistance. example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_MR1TuffE&list=UUP_Vs5WYfS2tZ1lqbqtTsWQ&index=5  It would be very easy to make a super fast walkway that gives mad bonus to speed. This would work. I love the idea of mine carts and tracks. This would make logistics a lot of fun. They already have conveyor belts in the industrial rim world mod. +1 to this post!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux