Tynan, question on temperature and clothing

Started by autohost, November 07, 2014, 10:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autohost

I believe I read that the new heat/cold dynamic that is coming will require colonists to have warm/cool clothes on and that they will take damage if they wear the wrong kind of clothes for the season or special event.

My question is: will I have to manually tell each colonists to wear or take off the required clothing depending on the event?  Or will they be made smart enough to dress themselves in the appropriate clothing as needed (if I have it stockpiled) and take off that clothing when its not needed anymore?  I had a sudden image of a cold snap event, pausing the game and manually telling each colonist to go put on this certain piece of clothing etc, and thought to myself that that would be very annoying.

Wex

I sure hope it will be automated. Imagine having to send 25 colonist to the stockpile to dress up for the winter... O.o
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

rsdworker

its would be like sims 3 seaons - which sims automatically change in proper clothes but with manual control

Tynan

I'm very concerned about this being too micromanage-y. Have been since before were wrote a line of temperature system code.

Currently it's all still manual but I'm considering a self-dressing AI. I'm hoping it won't be needed, at least for A8. Current I've got it set so most clothing has quite a wide range of temperatures it's good for. In fact, there really are only two important states: wearing a parka, and not wearing a parka. So maybe you'll need to tell your guys to put on parkas and take them off each year. That should be about it.

We'll see if it needs more; I may have to write an AI for it in the end.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

RawCode

As long as there is no AI for this, everyone will be happy if there is no "heatstroke" and just giving your pawns parka will keep them alive in winter.

In other case A8 will make same sad thing as A6 did with removed legs.

Reysuke

I dont know how fast Winter/Sommer happens but i dont care micromanaging as long i dont have it to make every 5 minutes. If it once every 30min (rl) then why not? I think managing it sounds fun

christhekiller

I dunno. If colonies get big it might start getting to be a pain-in-the-arse if it's not automatic

Tynan

Quote from: christhekiller on November 08, 2014, 01:19:03 AM
I dunno. If colonies get big it might start getting to be a pain-in-the-arse if it's not automatic

I don't know either. So we'll test it and find out!

One thing I've learned as a game designer is that there's often no value in guessing when you really need to just try it out.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

vagineer1

Quote from: Tynan on November 08, 2014, 01:35:42 AM

One thing I've learned as a game designer is that there's often no value in guessing when you really need to just try it out.

I cannot wait to see how seasons will change up gameplay. I do hope we will have ways of keeping warm like... maybe a pot-bellied stove?
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Shinzy

Would the unparka'd colonists have the brain to stay indoors during winter though?
"Nope I can't do that haul trip cause I'm no warm enough"
That alone would take lot of the micromanagement out of it

And I tend to forget my colonists manning the mortars or just being drafted near a gunrack where I sent them off to get a weapon before a fight. Unequipping parka would probably fall in that aswell =P
So I hope you haven't forgotten to put the kind of flashing alarms there!

"Colonist is boiling to death" oh oops :-[

Darkfirephoenix

I imagine that powerarmor is climatised, I mean it's such high-tech "clothing", so if you don't want to change clothes everytime the temperatures change just put powerarmor on all your ppl (if you have enough)

darkwing88

Tynan wouldnt it be best to have one menu (something like radial from rpg games) that could automate or un-automate certain ai task or just plainly speaking allow player to give them one time order? for ex command to equip warm clothes?

Shinzy

Quote from: darkwing88 on November 08, 2014, 06:31:25 AM

Tynan wouldnt it be best to have one menu (something like radial from rpg games) that could automate or un-automate certain ai task or just plainly speaking allow player to give them one time order? for ex command to equip warm clothes?

A global command for that would be very nice!
*cricklekrak-Tchwurrrr* "Attention everyone! it's cold outside, wear parkas, thank youu" *be-boop Tchwummmmhh*

deslona

Why not make a new item from the template of the gun rack? Warddrobe. It would/could be placed in the respective colonists bedrooms and be limited to the colonist(s) that own the beds in that room. To prevent a rise/fall in parkers in stockpiles. A colonist AI might now want to take the parker off in summer if there are no storage spaces (which might bring in heatstroke by accident).

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: deslona on November 08, 2014, 06:54:10 AM
Why not make a new item from the template of the gun rack? Warddrobe. It would/could be placed in the respective colonists bedrooms and be limited to the colonist(s) that own the beds in that room. To prevent a rise/fall in parkers in stockpiles. A colonist AI might now want to take the parker off in summer if there are no storage spaces (which might bring in heatstroke by accident).

I'm seconding this idea, takes care of the parker problem and we could really use some more stuff to put into colonists' bedrooms.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."