[A12C] Mechanical Defence 2 (Update 23 - quick fix)

Started by mipen, November 10, 2014, 03:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moumix

Hello,

I really like this mod, even though I really need to stop having colonies with 90%+ droids... :D

Here are a few bugs that I've encountered though. I haven't updated to the latest version, so it seems at least two of those are fixed already:

Already fixed in version 5 it seems

• Droids are renamed to their default name after loading a save, even if you renamed them.
  • All the droids have the Firefighting and Controlling abilities, yet none of them will automatically use them. You need to manually tell them to switch things or to fight fire tile by tile (Not fixed for controlling?)

Already entered on GitHub

• Combat droids are *WAY* too effective, as they seem to instantly heal any damage that doesn't destroy a part in one hit.
  • Deep Storage Units are cool on paper, but the fact that items actually "disappear" when you place them in can be annoying as builders won't build something, thinking they lack the resources, even if there is enough in a deep storage unit. I think it has been reported earlier in the thread too, with suggestions to have a larger stack than normal instead of making items disappear (it works for items going out of an ore generator, for example :p). Also, it doesn't take into account the x20 for Silver, Gold and Uranium, so instead of putting 20+stacks of the stuff, you can only put 4 or 5 stacks in a DPU. (Only part of it is on GitHub)

Current bugs

• Several droids other than the Builder droids have the "Construction" and "Repair" jobs available in the overview (it's just a display bug as they won't build or repair anyway) - I don't remember which droids exactly and can't launch the game right now :P
  • The Doctor droid doesn't do operation bills automatically, nor will it feed sick people automatically. You can force command him to do both those actions though.
  • Pawn status icons bug, as stated by previous posters.
  • If you draft some droids, they will automatically undraft after a while, and start wandering around (I've seen that with combat droids mainly, not sure it happens to *all* the droids) - this doesn't seem to be linked to their energy refill need as I had droids with 750/750 energy do that.
  • If you equip a shield on a droid, the health/gear tabs will disappear, as well as the command icons (draft, disable, etc...) - not sure it does that with the vanilla personal shield, but it does that with shields from other mods, let me know if you need more specifics on this, but I think this bug has been reported before in the thread.

I'm going to add those bugs on GitHub when I've had the chance to test them again in the updated version once I'm back home. ;) Should the compatibility bugs with other mods (pawn icons, shields if not vanilla) be entered there too?

jal21

i have been injoying your mod keep up the good work but i have one problunm is that in EdB Prepare Carefully your drods are whoth .2 pounts and italuse you to start whith a LOT of dords  whith out any workand i thout that you might whant to know

sikillgard

Quote from: moumix on March 09, 2015, 12:48:11 PM
Deep Storage Units are cool on paper, but the fact that items actually "disappear" when you place them in can be annoying as builders won't build something, thinking they lack the resources, even if there is enough in a deep storage unit. I think it has been reported earlier in the thread too, with suggestions to have a larger stack than normal instead of making items disappear (it works for items going out of an ore generator, for example :p). Also, it doesn't take into account the x20 for Silver, Gold and Uranium, so instead of putting 20+stacks of the stuff, you can only put 4 or 5 stacks in a DPU.

The Doctor droid doesn't do operation bills automatically, nor will it feed sick people automatically. You can force command him to do both those actions though.

If you draft some droids, they will automatically undraft after a while, and start wandering around (I've seen that with combat droids mainly, not sure it happens to *all* the droids) - this doesn't seem to be linked to their energy refill need as I had droids with 750/750 energy do that.

I think I have answers for three of your issue.

The Deep Storage thing is a well known problem amongst modders doing similar things. So far, no one has a solution, and it doesn't look like there's any clear idea on how to "fix" it (It's a mod after all). If you want a quick fix, what I've done was that I set up a stockpile with higher priority next, around, etc, the DSUs. This way there's enough materials on map for builders to actually do something, while having the DSUs in reserve when the pile is full, fulfilling their purpose of compact storage. If you don't think it looks pretty, you can supplement the pile space with resource furniture from the Clutter mod, or make the area a building. Anyone have better ideas?

As for the medical droid, from what I've seen: when idle, the pawns has to finish moving to its destination before performing a new available task. Could this be your problem?

For the undraftings: This obviously isn't a fix, but deactivating them keeps them drafted. It won't react to enemies but at least you can keep them there and conserve energy as a bonus.

I don't know enough about the rest, but hopefully these could help you.

Undecided

Speaking of DSUs, I've noticed that they treat "small" materials (gold, silver) and regular ones the same. This means that for regular sized items they can hold up to 30 stacks (75 per stack * 30 stacks = 2250), when it comes to "small" items like gold or silver (which stack up to 500 per stack), it can only hold less than half-a-dozen stacks.

I'd like to maybe see a DSU version for holding small items with a much larger cap than the normal 2250 for storing gold, silver, and similar "small" items. Maybe call it a vault or something? It would be easy enough to modify an existing DSU, up the cap, and restrict the item list to only gold and silver.

moumix

(...snip...)
I'm going to add those bugs on GitHub when I've had the chance to test them again in the updated version once I'm back home. ;) Should the compatibility bugs with other mods (pawn icons, shields if not vanilla) be entered there too?

Tested all my bug reports on the new version with a completely mod-free environment except for MD2, and ended up creating 5 new issues. ;) I didn't create one for the pawn icons mod compatibility issue though.

Hope it helps! :D

mipen

Hello,

I really like this mod, even though I really need to stop having colonies with 90%+ droids... :D

Here are a few bugs that I've encountered though. I haven't updated to the latest version, so it seems at least two of those are fixed already:

Already fixed in version 5 it seems

• Droids are renamed to their default name after loading a save, even if you renamed them.
  • All the droids have the Firefighting and Controlling abilities, yet none of them will automatically use them. You need to manually tell them to switch things or to fight fire tile by tile (Not fixed for controlling?)

Already entered on GitHub

• Combat droids are *WAY* too effective, as they seem to instantly heal any damage that doesn't destroy a part in one hit.
  • Deep Storage Units are cool on paper, but the fact that items actually "disappear" when you place them in can be annoying as builders won't build something, thinking they lack the resources, even if there is enough in a deep storage unit. I think it has been reported earlier in the thread too, with suggestions to have a larger stack than normal instead of making items disappear (it works for items going out of an ore generator, for example :p). Also, it doesn't take into account the x20 for Silver, Gold and Uranium, so instead of putting 20+stacks of the stuff, you can only put 4 or 5 stacks in a DPU. (Only part of it is on GitHub)

Current bugs

• Several droids other than the Builder droids have the "Construction" and "Repair" jobs available in the overview (it's just a display bug as they won't build or repair anyway) - I don't remember which droids exactly and can't launch the game right now :P
  • The Doctor droid doesn't do operation bills automatically, nor will it feed sick people automatically. You can force command him to do both those actions though.
  • Pawn status icons bug, as stated by previous posters.
  • If you draft some droids, they will automatically undraft after a while, and start wandering around (I've seen that with combat droids mainly, not sure it happens to *all* the droids) - this doesn't seem to be linked to their energy refill need as I had droids with 750/750 energy do that.
  • If you equip a shield on a droid, the health/gear tabs will disappear, as well as the command icons (draft, disable, etc...) - not sure it does that with the vanilla personal shield, but it does that with shields from other mods, let me know if you need more specifics on this, but I think this bug has been reported before in the thread.

Thanks for the big report, I really appreciate how you've laid it out :D I wasn't aware about the controlling thing, I'll take a look at how it's done and put it in.
Yeah I made a mistake handling the droids' passive regen, so they heal anything almost instantly heh, I've made a fix for this and it'll come out soon.
I coded the DSU before the compression value of 'small' items, and didn't think of it when updating, it should be an easy fix :) getting it to register what is stored inside will be much harder but hopefully I can figure something out.
Jobs that droids aren't meant to do showing up in the overview is something I cannot do anything about, as they are linked to how the game handles skills and jobs and everything and it can't be overridden :(
Automatically undrafting is part of the vanilla game, normal colonists do it too. I guess it's to make sure you don't draft them then forget about them and have them starve to death whilst standing waiting for orders xD I can disable it and include a check for low power though, if that is wanted.
Thanks for your post, it has been really helpful :D I can't respond to everything at the moment but rest assured I will fix all these problems :)

Ratys

Quote from: sikillgard on March 09, 2015, 03:44:08 PM
The Deep Storage thing is a well known problem amongst modders doing similar things. So far, no one has a solution, and it doesn't look like there's any clear idea on how to "fix" it (It's a mod after all). If you want a quick fix, what I've done was that I set up a stockpile with higher priority next, around, etc, the DSUs. This way there's enough materials on map for builders to actually do something, while having the DSUs in reserve when the pile is full, fulfilling their purpose of compact storage. If you don't think it looks pretty, you can supplement the pile space with resource furniture from the Clutter mod, or make the area a building. Anyone have better ideas?

Yes, as a matter of fact. I've mentioned it earlier, now I actually have something to show for it: my RT Storage mod (shameless plug).

It includes (really, the only thing at the moment) the Quantum Stockpile, a 2x2 thing that goes under an existing stockpile zone, scans adjacent cells and simply piles items it finds on top of itself. That means items are still in the world, so they are displayed in the resources bar and are accessible by colonists. Default limit is 4 stacks per cell (16 stacks total), upgradeable to 6 and then 8.

It is, as it says, an early release - but it's functional. In the thread I mentioned an upcoming update, but that dragged on for longer because I decided on a complete rewrite in order to allow more features; on the forums right now because I'm taking a break from that. It works, once again, and there's a new thing too - a "quantum warehouse" which networks all quantum stockpiles in a single zone to distribute items among them, meaning with proper layouts it impossible to have things lying around unstored simply because colonists filled up one of the stockpiles.

More stuff is planned, of course, but I guess I'll release what I have, after some more testing. Probably even in a couple of hours; in the meantime feel free to try out the older version.

EDIT: Updated now.

Demonlord091

I seem to have encountered a minor problem with stacks of Silicon that fell from the sky.

They don't seem to register with the crafting tables as existing Silicon, they don't look the same as the crafted stuff either.

Any ideas?

[attachment deleted due to age]

Ratys

Quote from: Demonlord091 on March 10, 2015, 02:27:15 AM
I seem to have encountered a minor problem with stacks of Silicon that fell from the sky.

They don't seem to register with the crafting tables as existing Silicon, they don't look the same as the crafted stuff either.

Any ideas?

That's Glittertech silicon. It and MD2 silicon are not interchangeable.

Devlah

So, I've encountered something of an irritation.  For some reason, all of my idle droids have taken to idling around my colonist(s).  Even when they're trying to sleep.  This causes my colonists to receive penalties for having their sleep interrupted (people moving through the room).

Is there any way to work around this?  I have no knowledge of MODding this particular game, so I wouldn't know if there's perhaps an option to define a custom zone for droids to stay out...

GiPSyFiSH

Love this mod!

Found a bunch of bugs though, most are already mentioned above, these are the ones not reported yet:

Many of the droids can repair and construct (it's not just an overview thing) Not sure if they do so automatically but you can direct them to.

The corpseburner burns my precious mech corpses...

The corpseburner only touches allowed corpses (without the redX. Problem here is when I allow corpses, another droid or colonist might haul them away without stripping them. This is not a problem when u dont use a crematorium I guess but still... Not sure if this is a problem, but something to think about.

Equipping them with shields disables the gear and health tab, but also makes them near invincible.

deconstructing a charge pad while a droid is charging makes it freeze in place until the battery runs out (boom)

Cheers and great work!

Rock5

Quote from: Devlah on March 10, 2015, 04:41:23 AM
So, I've encountered something of an irritation.  For some reason, all of my idle droids have taken to idling around my colonist(s).  Even when they're trying to sleep.  This causes my colonists to receive penalties for having their sleep interrupted (people moving through the room).

Is there any way to work around this?  I have no knowledge of MODding this particular game, so I wouldn't know if there's perhaps an option to define a custom zone for droids to stay out...
Seems unlikely but do you have tables in your sleeping quarters? Tables are gathering points.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Demonlord091

Quote from: Ratys on March 10, 2015, 04:17:57 AM
Quote from: Demonlord091 on March 10, 2015, 02:27:15 AM

Any ideas?

That's Glittertech silicon. It and MD2 silicon are not interchangeable.

Unfortunate but good to know.

Thanks for the info.

jabbamonkey

Possible Bug...
I saw that someone posted that you can't change the name of the combat droids. I noticed another naming issue...  I'm not sure if it's an issue with just the mod, or a conflict somewhere else.

So, I rename all of my droids (with the exception of the combat droids). Then I save the game, and exit the program. When I load the game later on, all of the names return to their default names (i.e. "crafting droid").

skullywag

Yeah its a known bug Jabba. Naming isnt being persisted in the save.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?