[A12C] Mechanical Defence 2 (Update 23 - quick fix)

Started by mipen, November 10, 2014, 03:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuiceBox

Quote from: rditto48801 on March 28, 2015, 03:27:58 PM
Quote from: JuiceBox on March 28, 2015, 01:37:42 PM
When constructing the Droid production table.. it constructs but doesn't appear, and you cannot click or use it.

It must be not compatible with another mod currently using.. Any ideas on which mods its not working with?

Also the deep storage doesn't appear to be working correctly as well storing only 75 of ea ch item after upgrading to 1000 and 1500..

I can think of some basic troubleshooting steps.
Have you checked to make sure MD Base is loading before the other MD modules?
If you don't have EdB Mod Order, I would strongly suggest you get it. It helps with managing lots of mods, and can ensure multiple part mods like Mechanical Defense loads the base module before the other modules.

Another thing to check is if you have the latest versions of the modules.
Do you have MD2Base-5, MD2Droid-2 and MD2Storage-2 in your mod folder?

The old version of Deep Storage (MD2Storage-1) only shows a single stack, but will show in its details how much it stores total (e.g., 123/1000), and has a 'dump all' type option to eject everything it stored both the shown stack and what is stored internally (which creates a big mess of stacks all over the place with a fully filled Deep Storage III...)
The newest version (MD2Storage-2) apparently lacks such details/options, and just has a single stack that lacks the usual stack size limitations. (e.g., a stack of 495 plasteel)

Tried them all man... The Base is loaded up first I think meaning its the first in the list when it comes to the other mods... I do have more mods that i'm trying to run it with... can you think of any mods that would alter to make the table not visable?

I have all the updated versions... I do get a pretty long list of error codes...

I will try to trouble shoot it tonight and play around with mods// on // off

Pivotal

Rditto: Yes, even if its loaded right after Core, and with no other mods installed.

And the storage bug isn't about not moving it to deep storage. I am not even able to research deep storage as per the other problem. The storage-bug is that if I even have the storage-mod loaded, then often they wont be able to haul the starting items. At all. Anywhere. They can equip the equipables, but thats it. They cant haul any of them, and they cant use them for building or similar.

Bucketsmit: Sorry, but where can I find that?

rditto48801

Quote from: JuiceBox on March 29, 2015, 05:32:44 PM
Tried them all man... The Base is loaded up first I think meaning its the first in the list when it comes to the other mods... I do have more mods that i'm trying to run it with... can you think of any mods that would alter to make the table not visable?

I have all the updated versions... I do get a pretty long list of error codes...

Lots of errors?
Are the errors you are getting varied, or basically a single line or several lines repeated over and over in red text that basically hog the log window and push all other errors out of the log window?
If error spam of the same few lines over and over, does it involve InstallScytherKnifeProtrusion by any chance?

One more stray idea for trouble shooting.
Try having MD2 as the last of your mods to load, since the last mod loaded takes priority if multiple mods change the same things.
If it causes MD2 to work but breaks another mod, then it will at least be a step toward confirming some sort of mod conflict.

I had one time in Alpha 8 where a workbench for a mod was built and looked like a red box with a red x through it, like the game couldn't find the texture for it, and it couldn't be selected. All I remember is that it was likely due to some sort of mod conflict, because it started working after removing a few mods I didn't like.
I recall one of the removed mods changed/altered some of the resources, but I never confirmed if that was the cause for the issue.

Quote from: Pivotal on March 29, 2015, 05:56:56 PM
Rditto: Yes, even if its loaded right after Core, and with no other mods installed.

And the storage bug isn't about not moving it to deep storage. I am not even able to research deep storage as per the other problem. The storage-bug is that if I even have the storage-mod loaded, then often they wont be able to haul the starting items. At all. Anywhere. They can equip the equipables, but thats it. They cant haul any of them, and they cant use them for building or similar.

Bucketsmit: Sorry, but where can I find that?

To answer that last question.
It should be where you installed RimWorld to, in the RimWorld###Win_Data folder.
E.g., C:/Games/Rimworld727Win/RimWorld727Win_Data/output_log.txt

For the no haul issue.
To be clear, it is only starting items/resources that cannot be hauled? Stuff you get later, like wood from cut down trees, can be hauled?
If just the starting stuff, are the starting items being set to be forbidden (red x on them) by any chance?
Or can nothing be hauled or used to build in general?
Always (less than) eager to stockpile 3 metric tons of steel to replicate a useful gun.

Dr. Watson. Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.

JuiceBox

I can private message you the log box... If you want.. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to trouble shoot the mod after supper when I get some free time and I will PM you the mod its not compatible with... maybe we can rectify why and potential sort out the problem.

rditto48801

Quote from: JuiceBox on March 29, 2015, 09:45:02 PM
I can private message you the log box... If you want.. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to trouble shoot the mod after supper when I get some free time and I will PM you the mod its not compatible with... maybe we can rectify why and potential sort out the problem.

There is a limit to what I can do beyond help with troubleshooting and trying to track down issues like mod conflicts.
I've been dealing with modded games for well over a decade, and have some basic modding skills, but nothing major.

One thing has come to mind.
Do you have Enhanced Defence installed by any chance?
The incomplete ED Vehicle module was accidentally included in the latest version on the mod Nexus, and it causes log window spam that makes it a pain in the rear to see if there are any other errors going on.
Always (less than) eager to stockpile 3 metric tons of steel to replicate a useful gun.

mipen

Quote from: Pivotal on March 29, 2015, 10:54:07 AM
So, I have tried everything and still cant research more then basic techs that doesn't actually unlock anything.

Ive even made a fresh install, with only the MD2-mods loaded. I made sure they all were the newest versions and that MD2 Base was loaded first.

Still same issue. I also sometimes get an issue with the storage-mod. Sometimes it seems to bug out and prevent me from hauling any of the items that crashlanded with me. Anything else can be hauled though. Turn off the mod, and it works fine again.

But the most critical for me is the research bug. The entire mod does nothing right now.

Anyone?
I cannot think what would be causing this. Does anything come up in the log? Does it happen with any other mods? Have you played with any of the core game files?

mipen

Quote from: JuiceBox on March 29, 2015, 05:32:44 PM
Quote from: rditto48801 on March 28, 2015, 03:27:58 PM
Quote from: JuiceBox on March 28, 2015, 01:37:42 PM
When constructing the Droid production table.. it constructs but doesn't appear, and you cannot click or use it.

It must be not compatible with another mod currently using.. Any ideas on which mods its not working with?

Also the deep storage doesn't appear to be working correctly as well storing only 75 of ea ch item after upgrading to 1000 and 1500..

I can think of some basic troubleshooting steps.
Have you checked to make sure MD Base is loading before the other MD modules?
If you don't have EdB Mod Order, I would strongly suggest you get it. It helps with managing lots of mods, and can ensure multiple part mods like Mechanical Defense loads the base module before the other modules.

Another thing to check is if you have the latest versions of the modules.
Do you have MD2Base-5, MD2Droid-2 and MD2Storage-2 in your mod folder?

The old version of Deep Storage (MD2Storage-1) only shows a single stack, but will show in its details how much it stores total (e.g., 123/1000), and has a 'dump all' type option to eject everything it stored both the shown stack and what is stored internally (which creates a big mess of stacks all over the place with a fully filled Deep Storage III...)
The newest version (MD2Storage-2) apparently lacks such details/options, and just has a single stack that lacks the usual stack size limitations. (e.g., a stack of 495 plasteel)

Are you loading MD2Base before Core? If you are, that will cause lots of issues

SSS

Fun mod. I'm only using the droids pack; at first I only used logistics droids, but recently I've made a crafting one help keep up with the stonecutting/smelting backlog while my better (human) crafter focuses on clothing and smithing. I tried out a combat/hunting droid too, and it's nice so far.

Would you be willing to enable operations for droids? I have scyther blades/knife protrusions around the base, but I can't install a new one on my droid after it lost one.

JuiceBox

Quote from: rditto48801 on March 29, 2015, 10:30:02 PM
Quote from: JuiceBox on March 29, 2015, 09:45:02 PM

There is a limit to what I can do beyond help with troubleshooting and trying to track down issues like mod conflicts.
I've been dealing with modded games for well over a decade, and have some basic modding skills, but nothing major.

One thing has come to mind.
Do you have Enhanced Defence installed by any chance?
The incomplete ED Vehicle module was accidentally included in the latest version on the mod Nexus, and it causes log window spam that makes it a pain in the rear to see if there are any other errors going on.

no Enhanced defense here!

Also not loading before core..

JuiceBox

So I figured it out,

It is not compatible with T's mods ....

Everythings else so far looks like its compatible with... well enough to build the Droid Assembly.

rditto48801

Quote from: JuiceBox on March 30, 2015, 10:33:50 AM
So I figured it out,

It is not compatible with T's mods ....

Everythings else so far looks like its compatible with... well enough to build the Droid Assembly.

That's interesting.
I use T's mods also.  I have not encountered any conflicts between the two mods. Maybe it's because they are loaded before MD2 does in my game.
Although, I went with T-MoreBedsCloth and not T-MoreBedsVanilla, which makes me wonder about something.
Did you use T-MoreBedsVanilla instead T-MoreBedsCloth?

silentlord

i use morebedsvanilla, as i didnt want the cloth as that needs the cloth mod. im having no issues... gotta be your load order.

SSS

Oh, right. Modmaker: Could you remove the Mechanical Defense 2 designations next to research items in future versions? It really breaks the narrative of the game when I see something so meta in the research queue. At that, breaking up the research into the separate sub-mods would be nice; if I'm just using droids I don't care to research coal, but leaving it unresearched would annoy me too.

HefferX

Should droids respect the SkillLock mod for crafting tables? I don't think they do.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10908.0 for reference

rditto48801

Bug or Feature?
The Grower, Mining, Crafter and Cooking droids have the Construction skill.

Quote from: silentlord on March 31, 2015, 07:44:55 AM
i use morebedsvanilla, as i didnt want the cloth as that needs the cloth mod. im having no issues... gotta be your load order.
You don't need ExpandedCloth for MoreBedsCloth.
ExpandedCloth just adds extra steps to getting cloth, for those that don't like to get cloth strait from cotton plants.

Quote from: SSS on March 31, 2015, 09:08:31 AM
Oh, right. Modmaker: Could you remove the Mechanical Defense 2 designations next to research items in future versions? It really breaks the narrative of the game when I see something so meta in the research queue. At that, breaking up the research into the separate sub-mods would be nice; if I'm just using droids I don't care to research coal, but leaving it unresearched would annoy me too.

I can agree it would be nice to move some items to the modules that use them. But what if later modules require those materials? Or other present modules are expanded and suddenly need those materials? Then they would have to be moved back into the base module or else people who then be required to install modules they don't want to use.

I got enough stuff on my mod list without adding even more mod modules to the list, such as separate modules for research. Or potentially having saves break because items are no longer where they are supposed to be as far as the save is concerned.
Or having complaints from people who didn't read the fine print specifying they have to download a second module just to research and use the module they want to use.

I can agree it is a little out of place to have the MD2 research be 'marked' as such.
On the flip side, there are going to be people who want to have certain things clearly marked. Be it wanting to dive in to a newly downloaded mod, to those less experienced with mods who might get tripped up if they have a long research list but no idea which one unlocks stuff for a mod whose stuff they want to try out.

I tend to leave techs I don't care about until last, then research them to get them out of the way, then not use whatever is unlocked.

Quote from: HefferX on March 31, 2015, 12:45:08 PM
Should droids respect the SkillLock mod for crafting tables? I don't think they do.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10908.0 for reference

Those look like a handy set of mods.
You would need to set the limits pretty high to affect the droids (if they are affected, anyways)
The droids, as I have observed anyways, tend to start with their respective skills at 14-15 and passion for those skills at Burning.