To fluff or not to fluff?

Started by nyxkin, November 11, 2014, 06:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyxkin

So, Rimworld is supposed to be in the (distant) future;
and the actual Rimworld (aka the planet) is, again supposedly, a 'fallen' HiveGlitterworld?

Awesome, I'm sure there are then all sorts of crazy interesting technosorcery... I mean it's not like I'll use Lee-Enfield (Mk I 1903?), M16(A2 1980?), L-15 LMG (Bergmann 1915?) and the occasional M24 (SWS 1988?)
Did we crash our star ship on an alien world, or a black hawk just off Mogadishu? ???

Sure, there are mechanoids and the occasional R-4, but they just stand out more.
And aside from them, it's closer to role playing an Australian/Afrikaans homestead then a colony on an alien world. Between green fields, weaponry considered obsolete even by today standards, and most of the 'actors' being human or terran like animals, spear wielding aboriginals, cowboy hats and dusters all 'round, and the whole drowning in 'tatters thing.

I get it's alpha and all; but where are all the fancy little things that actually make it sci-fi?
No weird aliens - no problem, look at Dune and the whole ghola and mentat 'thing' to spice it up; (and that's without mentioning Tleilaxu and their bio-horrors)
or how about taking a hint from Necromunda and the host of cult/ab/sub/meta-human mutants/cyborgs and such?

Or how about the whole PvE aspect: vitriolic/molten pools/rains, meteors which actually fall and damage features, having to adapt to hostile flora and fauna, or at least one different from Earth. (I'm sorry if I'm coming off as unreasonable, but I don't expect to land on Alpha Centauri's Chiron and start picking blueberries ;))

And speaking of fauna, how about weaponry; I mean what's wrong with the age old FPS tradition of either using generic titles such as "Assault Rifle" or spending 30 seconds per gun to make up a name: "CAR-52" (as in "Compact Assault Rifle model.2052") rather then defaulting to using a 1980's rifle in 2050+?
I mean, ignoring the possibility that say BAE Systems will file a claim about using the brand 'Lee-Enfield' or Colt Defense for 'M16' it -should- also be easier to balance a fantasy weapon.

And that's going for conventional weaponry, both Star Wars and Trek have next to no ballistic weaponry, Mass Effect is all about magnetic drivers, Dune went sonic and acid, 40k has laslances, plasma, plastic shuriken, ion and 20mm auto-guns as -staples- rather then super rarities. Ultimately, it's not about debating the effectiveness of established weaponry, it's about the idea of interesting new technologies, or that the existing ones are at least adapted to new and strange circumstances/environments.

Granted, it's alpha, but is (and I'm honestly trying not to come off as a jackass or attack) Tynan afraid to get creative? :-\

My concern is: between people getting used to status quo and adding new features (obviously nothing wrong with either of those) in game 'fluff' like this will always take a backseat until it's likely forgotten or dismissed with:
"But we've always done it like this" or "That's not a priority compared to XYZ"

Also: Hi all, got bored of lurking. :P

ZestyLemons

Some points:

1) I think the small pool of weapons is just due to Tynan focusing on game mechanics for now. You can check out what he's working on in the changelog, it's all weather-and-artsy stuff right now.

2) The FPS tradition of making weapons generically named is usually because of licensing issues or copyright concerns. Obviously modders aren't bound by these, but game developers are.

It's probably just stuff that Tynan hasn't gotten around to yet. There's a lot of game systems to work on and all.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Kagemusha

As an added aside, the RimWorld universe has a flavor similar to Firefly with regards to weaponry; It's the blending of Sci-Fi with Wild West. The future or the past is mostly irrelevant.

Star Wars is set a long time in the past and has more advanced technology. Yes it's also set in a galaxy far away so we give in leeway I suppose. Why not the same with RimWorld. Admittedly it is odd for them to have the same names as weapons that are old hat even in our time frame.

Like ZestLemons said, the weapons (and their names) are mostly just placeholders. Ludeon Studios are focussing on game mechanics and and game systems. Maybe in the future they will change the names to give them a new world feel to it.

Your suggestion of CAR-52 and other such naming practices I think would work wonders. Maybe there is something to just changing the names sooner rather than later before we all get used to the names as they are and they never get changed. In the end it's all up to the development team of course.

It is still Alpha and fluff is less important right now. But I have to agree that there is a danger of fluff taking a back seat for so long that it gets forgotten or becomes the status quo. If the guns are going to be place holders then maybe it would be best to just give them generic names: Long Rifle, Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, Assault Rifle, Pistol, Revolver, SMG, HMG, GPMG, and so on and so on.

nyxkin

Quote from: ZestyLemons on November 11, 2014, 07:11:44 PM
1) I think the small pool of weapons is just due to Tynan focusing on game mechanics for now.
I don't have the slightest problem with a small 'pool of weapons' - if anything else I love the idea of 'soft counters' where even a humble handgun will beat a sniper rifle in close quarters and the combat rifle rules supreme mid range.

There is a question how weapons will change in the versions to come, will we ever be able to craft the more advanced ones; will the material and/or skill of the gunsmith make a difference etc. But, I agree with the idea of having few easily recognizable 'classes' with their own uses.

Quote from: Kagemusha on November 11, 2014, 07:29:57 PM
As an added aside, the RimWorld universe has a flavor similar to Firefly with regards to weaponry;
My knowledge of Firefly is as follows:
#1 That Farscape-like-show I plan on watching eventually.
#2 The second coming of Adam Baldwin.
Sorry. :D

Maybe there is something to just changing the names sooner rather than later before we all get used to the names as they are and they never get changed.
It is still Alpha and fluff is less important right now. But I have to agree that there is a danger of fluff taking a back seat for so long that it gets forgotten or becomes the status quo. If the guns are going to be place holders then maybe it would be best to just give them generic names: Long Rifle, Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, Assault Rifle, Pistol, Revolver, SMG, HMG, GPMG, and so on and so on.
Amen.
The longer this travesty to all things fluffy goes on - the harder it will be to 'fix' it!

In the end it's all up to the development team of course.
Of course.

fraz

It's primarily the weapons' names that bother me. I think we have approximately the right number of weapons (I don't want a bloated list), and I like the predominance of relatively low-tech weapons. It would be nice to have a couple more Glitterworld weapons, and maybe a non-lethal weapon (e.g., taser), but otherwise I think the current list is sufficient.

However, it annoys me that the firearms have names specifically identifying them as 20th century Earth weapons. It's ridiculous to imagine that these weapons have survived thousands of years and been distributed across star systems. Of course it's entirely plausible for similar weapons to emerge on numerous worlds, but it would be much better to identify them broadly, for example "Bolt-Action Rifle" instead of "Lee Enfield."

StorymasterQ

How about punny excuses for the current names, like "the rifle was found by best friends Robert Lee and John Field, and was named Lee & Field. However, they had a falling out, and newer models are named Lee Enfield."
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

nyxkin

Quote from: StorymasterQ on November 11, 2014, 09:52:42 PM
How about punny excuses for the current names
Hay, I know you're just horsing around SQ; but wouldn't that be just plain offal?
The mane point is to harness that creativity, and not to make it -even- lamer.

christhekiller

Meh. Fluff is for mostly for Beta

keylocke

Quote from: fraz on November 11, 2014, 09:40:56 PM
However, it annoys me that the firearms have names specifically identifying them as 20th century Earth weapons. It's ridiculous to imagine that these weapons have survived thousands of years and been distributed across star systems. Of course it's entirely plausible for similar weapons to emerge on numerous worlds, but it would be much better to identify them broadly, for example "Bolt-Action Rifle" instead of "Lee Enfield."

^this.

bolt-action rifle, assault rifle, etc..
how about people just post a list of suggestion names to replace the weapon names that are currently in-game?

that way, if tynan found a good suggestion that everyone seems to like, it's gonna be easy to just add it to the game.

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

H_D

Don't tell anyone, but RimWorld is actually Earth, I bet nobody saw that coming.

Shinzy

Quote from: H_D on November 12, 2014, 02:40:41 AM
Don't tell anyone, but RimWorld is actually Earth, I bet nobody saw that coming.

Like the moon landing? it's.. it's all fake? oh.. no :'(

Pistola, El Shootgun, Rifolo Del Caza, Pistola los rapidos, Rifolo Del Machino, Rifolo Del assaultero, De La Canon Despacio Muertes, EresQuatro Chargo-Rifolo, Lanco De Chargo
No?

nyxkin

Quote from: Shinzy on November 12, 2014, 03:50:55 AM
Pistola, El Shootgun, Rifolo Del Caza, Pistola los rapidos, Rifolo Del Machino, Rifolo Del assaultero, De La Canon Despacio Muertes, EresQuatro Chargo-Rifolo, Lanco De Chargo
No?
I would accept even spanglish from the great Sultan of Shirts and the Prince of Pants. As long as it's not 'los fusiles Lee-Enfilado' that is. :D

At least, I use a variant (with less Ludeon-y names, but hey - when you plug an idea, go all the way) for my dakka:
SR:
Pistol <> "Star/Rim/Galactic Eagle" Handgun/Pistol
Machine Pistol <> T-9 "Shrike" MP
Submachine Gun <> CAR-51u "Cardo" SMG

MR:
Shotgun <> Sa-4 "Sylvestar" Riotgun
Hunting Rifle <> Scout Rifle, DM-1 "Unzel" Rifle
Assault Rifle <> AR-52 "Indsay" Carbine 

LR:
Battle Rifle <> HB-A3 "Blackhawk"/"Bison" Rifle
Machine gun <> SAW/SWS-15 "Marauder" LMG
Sniper Rifle <> Antimaterial Rifle, SR, DM-3 "Longshot" Rifle

I'm not suggesting these are perfect, and would actually like to see what other people use for their homebrew; but I'd stake either the plain format ie: 'Sniper Rifle' or one of the more fluffy ones: 'DM-3 "Longshot" Rifle' & 'DM-3 Rifle' against: 'M-24'

H_D

Eagle, Hawk, Shrike and Bison are animals living on Earth, so you kinda walked into your own traps here.

nyxkin

Quote from: H_D on November 12, 2014, 07:40:02 AM
Eagle, Hawk, Shrike and Bison are animals living on Earth, so you kinda walked into your own traps here.
I'm sure you heard of Desert Eagle...
(And of spoofs such as Baby Eagle, Swamp Eagle, Blackhawk*not the Ruger one etc..)

As for the rest, they are quite common names for weaponry ranging from ATVs, APCs, choppers and actual guns. There are also several both IRL and Fantasy Corporate Entities that use those animals like: ARES Defense Systems with it's Shrike conversion for the M4; Black Hawk Security private contractors, as well as a BH foundry; and the Bison is not only a line of 9mm SMGs, but also a pun/homage on Piotr ‘ison’ Walczak.

Seriously, can you not see the difference in using a real, century old gun (even by today's standards) and making up some names that can pass off for guns..?