We can release prisoners now.... Yay?

Started by Ramsis, November 18, 2014, 02:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

Okay Tynan so as I brought up in the main board, the release system is kind of an odd addition. Granted the community has been split in half at this point between the masochists that rip out three organs and wait for them to bleed out, and the people that will literally spend seven months trying to convert one 99, but the release system just seems like a weird little addition.

I haven't had the real ability to test it yet as we're all suffering some pretty horrific bug situations right now but what do you expect the player to really do with the function? If I release a pirate do I just get like three or four goodwill before they come to my base to completely violate my everything? Is this more of a placeholder feature for something down the line? I know your general stance on answering questions about content and future plans but I really do think a feature like this deserves a bit more information.

Can we consider it an unfinished as of now feature or is the idea to release 20-30 pirates in hopes of making them not attack anymore?
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Coenmcj

In relation to this, as I haven't gotten around to testing this (If it's in on .630?)
UrbanBourbon put up some things that should be looked at, how do the operations tie in with releasing the prisoners? does it effect your diplomatic standing when you release them?

- You could, for example, capture a member of a rival/partner colony, harvest a kidney and let the guy go. That would yield smaller diplomatic penalty than just killing the guy.
- You might even be able to mistreat tribals as much as you want as long as the patient is under anesthesia, but you couldn't pull that off with someone from a developed faction due to medical check-ups performed upon his return.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Nasikabatrachus

Sometimes you just want to get rid of a prisoner and don't want to have to deal with the psychological/logistical mess of executing or selling them?* I think I suggested this idea in the past, and that's basically my reasoning.

It is a bit of an odd addition at this point, but of course it'll be made to fit into a more coherent larger picture. For instance, selling a prisoner back to the faction from which they came would both be historically extremely well precedented and a pretty good idea from the perspective of the player.

*Plus it feels kind of ugly to starve someone to death just because you can't convince them to join a tiny settlement that's constantly under threat from space death robots. Not that I haven't done that.

JuliaEllie

Quote from: Coenmcj on November 19, 2014, 07:49:00 PM
In relation to this, as I haven't gotten around to testing this (If it's in on .630?)
UrbanBourbon put up some things that should be looked at, how do the operations tie in with releasing the prisoners? does it effect your diplomatic standing when you release them?

- You could, for example, capture a member of a rival/partner colony, harvest a kidney and let the guy go. That would yield smaller diplomatic penalty than just killing the guy.
- You might even be able to mistreat tribals as much as you want as long as the patient is under anesthesia, but you couldn't pull that off with someone from a developed faction due to medical check-ups performed upon his return.

What I can see from the code is that releasing (at the moment) only makes the pawn walk to the nearest map edge and gtfo. On the organ front there might be a bit of a problem: removing organs from a prisoner now gives a bad debuff for both the prisoner and the colonists I assume this is to counter the 'recent' trend to chop up prisoners (that makes me sad :( *wipes off a tear with a blood stained handkerchief*). Anything else is speculation but it would be cool if the mood upon a prisoners release would affect the amount of goodwill you gain or maybe even lose with the faction of the former prisoner.

Ramsis

So I tested the release system through Dev mode and it seems each colonist released brings in close to 10-15 goodwill. While this is decent this also means if I get enough from a pirate force I can essentially easy-mode my game. Not sure if this is a good thing or not honestly.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Tynan

There wasn't any grand plan behind it. It's pretty much what Nasik said.

I don't really understand why you think this feature doesn't stand as it is. It fills a clear hole in the game. Releasing is the only simple way to get rid of prisoners without causing big mood penalties across the colony (from executing or chopshopping them). Your only other alternatives are starving them to death (takes a long time) or jankery like heating their room until they die (again, takes time and resources). Plus, it adds a fun little dynamic to the faction system since you can release people for goodwill. Finally, it seemed like a pretty basic choice to have, just from a role-playing perspective. I see no reason this needs to be part of anything bigger.

Quote from: Ramsis on November 19, 2014, 08:23:42 PM
So I tested the release system through Dev mode and it seems each colonist released brings in close to 10-15 goodwill. While this is decent this also means if I get enough from a pirate force I can essentially easy-mode my game. Not sure if this is a good thing or not honestly.

Pirates should never ally you under any circumstances.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Also, I'm moving this to General since there is no reason for it to be a thread in the tester forum. Please keep the tester forums to things actually related to testing.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Coenmcj

Oh thank god you moved it, I thought I had derped and posted in general. :|
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Japzzi

I like the idea that you can release prisoners! The bad thing is that it sounds like you can become friends with pirates. But being able to release people is a nice roleplay feature like Tynan said because I have this Monastery colony (where the first three are all missionaries) and they would love to convert og release the prisoners they have C: 

Ramsis

Quote from: Tynan on November 19, 2014, 10:34:20 PM
There wasn't any grand plan behind it. It's pretty much what Nasik said.

I don't really understand why you think this feature doesn't stand as it is. It fills a clear hole in the game. Releasing is the only simple way to get rid of prisoners without causing big mood penalties across the colony (from executing or chopshopping them). Your only other alternatives are starving them to death (takes a long time) or jankery like heating their room until they die (again, takes time and resources). Plus, it adds a fun little dynamic to the faction system since you can release people for goodwill. Finally, it seemed like a pretty basic choice to have, just from a role-playing perspective. I see no reason this needs to be part of anything bigger.

Quote from: Ramsis on November 19, 2014, 08:23:42 PM

Pirates should never ally you under any circumstances.

Well if this is the case then I'd like to know if you wouldn't mind a prisoner exchange concept. If we're earning goodwill from a faction that would never care about allying and this is just the "ethical" idea then it's kind of moot. I fail to think that the prisoner system is perfected and staying the way it is all the way up to release; and if it is then the modding community has already done wonders to it to correct issues such as high social requirements.

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Shinzy

Quote from: Ramsis on November 20, 2014, 06:34:49 AM
Well if this is the case then I'd like to know if you wouldn't mind a prisoner exchange concept.

That's a good idea for the future when the 'legendary' characters come to play
or whatever were they called

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Shinzy on November 20, 2014, 08:42:09 AM
Well if this is the case then I'd like to know if you wouldn't mind a prisoner exchange concept.

Silli Shinzy. Legendary prisoners are Prison Architect stuff. Unless you mean Barney Stinson.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Shinzy

Quote from: StorymasterQ on November 20, 2014, 09:19:42 AM
Quote from: Shinzy on November 20, 2014, 08:42:09 AM

Silli Shinzy. Legendary prisoners are Prison Architect stuff. Unless you mean Barney Stinson.

nonono the "legendary" as in 'historical' <- that's the word I was after
so like the people who get kidnapped and or otherwise disappears
and their 'data' gets saved somewhere and they could then reappear way or another (Cause as I've understood that's a feature Ty wants to pursue)

JonoRig

Ransom and patching up friendlies, rather then kidnapping dying Allies should be offshoots of this, if it's possible.

Take them to the nice pri... I mean medibay, patch them up and then send them on their way, get some good will or maybe some resources from their home factions

Ramsis

Quote from: JonoRig on November 20, 2014, 10:10:59 AM
Ransom and patching up friendlies, rather then kidnapping dying Allies should be offshoots of this, if it's possible.

Take them to the nice pri... I mean medibay, patch them up and then send them on their way, get some good will or maybe some resources from their home factions

Actually there's been a lot of Skype chatter about this recently friend. Haplo actually already made a visitor recovery bed that lets you rescue then ship off friendlies. He also refined the trading system so you can openly trade and earn favor with allies instead of constantly having to bribe them.

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~