Solar flares and EMP pulses affect bionics

Started by REMworlder, December 02, 2014, 10:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REMworlder

Electromagnetic radiation (EMR) from things like solar flares is awful: Rimworld has no real counterplay against EMR aside from warm bodies with guns and food stockpiles. But let's be realistic in the damage EMR would do to a colony in the dark future of the 22nd century. By acknowledging the problems that would surface and fleshing them out, there's some serious Fun to be found.

As have other scientists, I found that an adaptation to the apparatus occurred and that, after some time, I developed a dependence on the apparatus. Removal of the apparatus would result in my inability to see properly, as well as sensations of nausea, dizziness and disorientation.
-Steve Mann, Wearable Computing Researcher

For the countless bionic eyes and limbs installed in Rimworld colonists, EMR has an incapacitating effect. While small bursts cause controllable system reboots, continuous exposure has been linked to catastrophic bionic failure.

When was the last time your hand almost killed you?

Types of EMR Exposure
I) Light: Brief exposure. Colonists bionic equipment reboots quickly, downtime rarely exceeding several minutes. Interruption in sensory implant feeds may stun dependent colonists for a few seconds.
II) Intermediate: Constant exposure. Bionic equipment unable to function while affected.
II) Severe: Prolonged, intense exposure. Bionic equipment severely crippled. Biological user damage may occur to users in the form of electric shocks, burning, and crushing and pinching damage.

Mechanical Prognoses
Type I and II exposure to EMR usually has little permanent effect on limbs. Cheap or black market limbs may experience some long-term loss of functionality, but can usually be reliably repaired. Psychological effects of type I and II exposure may manifest heavily in prosthophilic users, who may lose faith in their bionic ability. This psychological effect has been tied to a temporary user-side reduction in operational functionality for some colonists.

Type III exposure is invariably tied to bionic equipment damage. Even military-grade limbs tends to require repair. While often not necessitating total replacement, high levels of craftsmanship are usually needed to a restore a limb to full operational capacity. Limbs and implants with type III exposure will function at a limited capacity until repaired. Temporary user-side functionality impairment is most likely in type III scenarios. Impaired user bionics has also been linked to depressive thoughts.

NEED A HAND?

Sounds Terrible, How Balanced Is It?
Terrible's a two-way street! Add bionics to raiders in the game, and those raiders with bionics have distinct weaknesses. Now EMPs have a real purpose other than to stun mechanoids for a second until they evolve. Causing solar radiation and EMPs to have severe effects on colonists, not just furniture, is a huge game changer. Players now have more choices to make when planning and responding to threats.

To be honest, what I'd like to see most in conjunction with EMR bionic damage is an expensive solution to shield from EMR radiation, but I understand that could be a lot of work.

Bionics could be made stronger, or additional classes could be introduced into the game to counteract this new weakness. Right now the only downside to bionics is prosthophobes and availability. Otherwise I'm more than happy to have 120% efficient colonists everywhere. Imagine your bionic superwarrior crippled and needing repairs after solar flares. Fun!

Mattorious

Pretty much all of the text above me is badass. You get a fully-fledged +1!

I commend you on the work that's gone into this thread. Well done!
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

REMworlder

Glad you liked it! I happened to think of an article about Steve Mann and disorientation when people stopped using augmented reality devices. I thought of the same sensory deprivation effects of messing with bionic eyes, and other prosthetic interfaces RimWorlders might use. It's fun to think about; who knows how far out in the future it is.

keylocke

same. i am liking your posts. well presented and detailed.