Suggested change to the shared bedrooms penalty

Started by Igabod, December 17, 2014, 01:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

I think it shouldn't penalize you exactly the same amount for having 2 colonists in a room as it does for having 20 in the same room. That should be a stacking penalty. If a given colonist only has 1 room mate they should get a -1 and so on, that way there is actually a reason to build individual rooms for the colonists once you get past a certain size. As it is now, you can put all of your colonists in one dorm and you only get a small penalty that is pretty much negated by the spacious interior bonus along with the beauty bonus if you throw in a couple potted plants. I've personally shared a room with 79 other guys when I was in boot camp and I can tell you from experience that it is far less peaceful than sharing a room with 3 other people.

ITypedThis

Meh.

If you had to shower with nineteen other strangers, would only one other stranger be really all that better?

Igabod

Quote from: ITypedThis on December 17, 2014, 04:15:03 AM
Meh.

If you had to shower with nineteen other strangers, would only one other stranger be really all that better?

You don't shower on RimWorld! Only Pansies shower on RimWorld! You don't even use toilets on RimWorld! Besides, this is about sharing a bedroom, not a shower. Though I guess sharing a shower with only 1 other guy would be a lot more awkward than sharing a shower with 19 other guys for some reason. But that is irrelevant in this topic.

RawCode

This is arbitrary limit about forcing player to build for each colonist individual at least 5*6 room.

I have other vision on mood penalty - everything should be more severe but nothing should stack in linear manner.

ITypedThis

Quote from: Igabod on December 17, 2014, 07:17:47 AM
Quote from: ITypedThis on December 17, 2014, 04:15:03 AM
Meh.

You don't shower on RimWorld! Only Pansies shower on RimWorld! You don't even use toilets on RimWorld! Besides, this is about sharing a bedroom, not a shower. Though I guess sharing a shower with only 1 other guy would be a lot more awkward than sharing a shower with 19 other guys for some reason. But that is irrelevant in this topic.

Maybe a little irrelevant, but the idea carries over. Besides, the mood penalty's description complains about the pawn not having any privacy. So it is kinda like showing with nineteen other people and then only one other; more people =/= less privacy for each person. In my opinion, at least.

OmG_PotatoeZ

Maybe a future update adding something like social and antisocial (Social settlers aren't affected by roommates, settlers that are neither social nor antisocial have -1 mood/roommate, antisocial settlers have -2 mood/roommate.

Igabod

Quote from: OmG_PotatoeZ on December 17, 2014, 10:22:41 PM
Maybe a future update adding something like social and antisocial (Social settlers aren't affected by roommates, settlers that are neither social nor antisocial have -1 mood/roommate, antisocial settlers have -2 mood/roommate.

Yeah! I like that! Then you have even more reason to build a distant outpost and send the abrasive loners out to work the mines.

Snowpig

how about a relationship matrix between the colonists based on their origin, profession and sex? It could be defined statically (no dynamic changes) and be modified by their respective social-skill.

Like: if you put people with similar interests & origin in a room, they get a bonus for their mood - like "like-minded roomie" &c. - or if you put two people with conflictful origins (pirate & nave) they both get big penalties up to starting fights with each other &c. ..
;)