[MOD] (Alpha 8) Central Heating (includes vents)

Started by carlgraves, December 22, 2014, 04:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raufgar

Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quick question can i install this and use on my world i have now or no? Because i dont wanna start a new world
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

bigbobbear

Quote from: GiantCookieEater on December 23, 2014, 01:04:29 AM
Quick question can i install this and use on my world i have now or no? Because i dont wanna start a new world

about the only mods you have to restart the world to see are ones that add in new factions

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

StorymasterQ

If you're adding vents, don't forget the other sizes, talls and grands :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Carry

Weird glitch with vents.

After loading a savegame almost(?) every bed (in vented rooms) is set for prisoners. They can be reset for colonists, but after a save/load cycle they are set for prisoners again (as long as there is one prisoner bed). Building new beds  after the vents are in place prevents the problem for that room.

[attachment deleted due to age]

carlgraves

New version is out: Version 0.9b

Bug-fixes and tweaks mostly. Rebuilt the heaters pretty much from scratch as the vanilla ones don't do what I needed.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/mods/65/?

Changes:
- Vents now have multi-texture support, and run more efficiently. Fixed PlaceWorkers.
- Industrial Heaters are much more powerful. Have additional functionality to work better with the vent system compared to normal heaters. New Graphics. New steam effects.

The Industrial heaters should be less terrible now. They try to forecast the temperature lost between ticks and push more heat into the room than necessary to keep the room rock solid at the required temp. If your heaters don't seem to want to calm down and are sucking all your power you may not have enough of them for the size of your base. The heaters enter a low-consumption state when they are idling and maintaining their temperature - This is the best place to have you heaters sitting. It can be pretty tricky to design a base that efficiently uses as few heaters as possible and manages to keep them in the idle state.

carlgraves

Quote from: Carry on December 23, 2014, 06:04:06 AM
Weird glitch with vents.

After loading a savegame almost(?) every bed (in vented rooms) is set for prisoners. They can be reset for colonists, but after a save/load cycle they are set for prisoners again (as long as there is one prisoner bed). Building new beds  after the vents are in place prevents the problem for that room.

That is a super weird bug. I haven't encountered it on my machine. Are you running any other mods? Are you using the latest version? Does it still do this for you without the debug cheats on?

I'll take a look in the morning/when I get a chance, but just from those screenshots I have no idea what would be causing it.

Carry

I'm running the latest versions of the game and the mod. All other mods were disabled for the test.
I just took another test and disabled debug mode. It didn't change anything.

The savefile looks ok, so it has to happen during loading.

Btw, some beds seem to be unaffected. And they can't trigger the bug, if they're the only prisoner beds.   ???

bigbobbear

the new vents seem to transfer heat much better now and it seems as if the power usage of the heaters is less then before, all we need now are airtight doors

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: Tynan on December 23, 2014, 02:10:56 AM
Hmm, vents. An interesting and elegant idea.
You know what i like about you, is that your interested in the modding community, you comment, take ideas, and incorporate them in your own twisted fashion ;) and that's why i love the game and the modding community i am glad i bought the game, :) Keep up the good work
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

Xubrim

Do you think it's possible to add an ability to open and close vents? Say a battery explodes and blows a hole in the wall. If the building is large and the wall can't be repaired quickly, vents basically doom the whole thing to external temperature. It'd be nice to be able to just close the necessary vents and isolate the damage.

It doesn't sound like something one would do often, but if it's easy to implement it'd sure be handy when needed. RIP greenhouse megastructure. :p

Temeez

I also would like to see a feature which allow closing and opening (locking / unlocking?) the vents, just like doors.

carlgraves

Quote from: Xubrim on December 24, 2014, 05:03:13 AM
Do you think it's possible to add an ability to open and close vents? ...

It's certainly possible, and wouldn't be hard to implement. But, I'm not sure if this would be an separate structure or more functionality to the standard vents.

I'd like to keep the cheap vents, really cheap and with a sort of 1-track simplicity. This open/close on/off could be something that is layered on top of the powered vents (ducted fans).

Amo

This mod seems great so far, I just started with the panic and Insomnia pack. So is my understanding correct when I think if I turn down the industrial heater to like -50 it will make the room into a freezer for me? I tried and after a while it wasn't doing anything so I just used a cooler. There isn't a industrial cooler is there? maybe I just haven't seen it if there is/haven't researched it  or something.