Can anyone comment on RimWorld at 4K resolution?

Started by Stannis, December 28, 2014, 02:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rennex

I can. It seems to run fine and the graphics are nice and sharp, but it's unplayable due to tiny fonts. I have to play it at 2560x1440, which is not optimal  :(

Stannis

Quote from: Rennex on December 28, 2014, 03:49:00 PM
I can. It seems to run fine and the graphics are nice and sharp, but it's unplayable due to tiny fonts. I have to play it at 2560x1440, which is not optimal  :(

Thanks, I wonder If anything can be done about the fonts from a modding perspective?

Tynan

Probably not. You'd have to change all the screen layout dimensions in every menu.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

lokarn

When I used to play Never Winter Nights there was an option to use high resolution fonts. All it did was make all the text the game had use bold text and perhaps increase the font one size. Is this not possible to do?

Stannis

I would have to say that font size is somewhat of an issue even at 1080p, but then again I almost need reading glasses! (almost)

Rennex

Quote from: Tynan on December 28, 2014, 07:09:06 PM
Probably not. You'd have to change all the screen layout dimensions in every menu.

I was afraid that would be the case. However, maybe you could just implement a font size multiplier, that would also get used for menu coordinates and sizes? Useful values would include at least 100%, 150%, and 200%.

I've been playing alpha 9 today with the nice new antialiased fonts, but I still have to play it in a blurry non-native resolution  :-\

FullmetalX

I have only played the game at 4k so I guess the font size has never been an issue for me. The fonts are small but I don't find them unreadable.

Magoozle

It will depend on your screen size, if you are using a tiny 27/28" 4k monitor things will be small,
I use a phillips BDM4065UC, which is 40" and things look roughly the same size as my old 27" 1440p screen.

http://www.magoozle.webspace.virginmedia.com/h.jpg

Rennex

Quote from: Magoozle on February 19, 2015, 10:16:22 AM
It will depend on your screen size

Yeah, it's down to the PPI. For about 20 years we've been stuck with most computer screens being about 100 PPI, so almost no-one had to bother supporting anything else. Now we're finally getting 150 and even 200 PPI screens on desktops and laptops, and that leads to some problems with programs that are hardcoded to 100 PPI. There's two possible solutions to the unreadably small graphics: enlarge the 100 PPI bitmaps and suffer from blur, or fix the programs and enjoy sharp images.  8)

iame6162013

Quote from: Rennex on February 20, 2015, 01:20:30 AM
Quote from: Magoozle on February 19, 2015, 10:16:22 AM
It will depend on your screen size

Yeah, it's down to the PPI. For about 20 years we've been stuck with most computer screens being about 100 PPI, so almost no-one had to bother supporting anything else. Now we're finally getting 150 and even 200 PPI screens on desktops and laptops, and that leads to some problems with programs that are hardcoded to 100 PPI. There's two possible solutions to the unreadably small graphics: enlarge the 100 PPI bitmaps and suffer from blur, or fix the programs and enjoy sharp images.  8)
I know that is some languages(java) you can easily create huge bitmaps,
you have aces to all the fonts on a computer, so you can get quite large bitmaps generated on the users computer  ::)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Rock5

I think a better solution than different size fonts is to have a UI scaling control because we don't only need to resize fonts but also the UI elements.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

taurion

works great, the fonts where not to small and its so sharp :D;D STANNIS THE MANNIS