Community Colony: The Frozen - Part 3

Started by milon, January 02, 2015, 09:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

Happy (slightly belated) New Year!

As a celebration, I give you our first Community Colony: The Frozen!

What's a Community Colony?  It's essentially a RimWorld pick-up game.  You play a bit, post your story & save file, and then let someone else have a go at it.  It's a succession game without schedules or turns.  Just remember - your story only becomes 'official canon' when it's posted to the forum before anyone else posts a different story.  Once a new story is up, anything else becomes non-canonical.  So don't delay your updates!

RimWorld version: Alpha 8
Mods required: IceSheet (do NOT use the WaterWorld expansion)
Storyteller: Random Randy
Challenge Scale: 100%
World: PolluxPlanet.rww
Latest savefile location: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwObvwnqze0zUGRKSjhXSzJ5a0U/view?usp=sharing

You may upload your .rwm save file to my Google Drive (RimWorld Community folder):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwl7VU9z47sqUmVGemJaT3FNdms&usp=sharing
Feel free to upload screenshots to it as well, but please put them in the Screenshots subfolder.

For the curious, the world seedString is 'icesheet' (no quotes), and was generated at 200 x 150 (I have a crappy computer).  Colony 'The Frozen' is set in an Ice Sheet biome with both mountains and an eastern coast.  Because why not?  ;)

For some reason, when I generated the colony, the colonists all landed naked.  No idea why, unless it was because I disabled my only other mod (Prepare Carefully) right before generating this one.  But no matter, it added to the story!  Speaking of which...

milon

June 1, Year 1
Quote from: Halley's Private JournalAlarms!  Red lights!  The shaking!  Get out!  GET OUT!!  GET OUT!!!

I screamed and ran.  It was just like back then...  Just like what I was trying to get away from.  I ran and hid in an escape pod.  Well, I tried to hide.  The ship shut the door and launched the pod as soon as I was in.  I remember a flash of light from the ship before the pod shook hard.

Then I remember waking up.  I could see blue sky outside.  A real blue sky!  Just like in those story books!  The pod computer beeped and said "You have landed on PolluxPlanet, arctic region.  Weather is equivalent to Earth, June 1st.  No hostiles detected.  No injuries detected.  Commencing break-down sequence."  (I have a really good memory!)  Then the pod started clanking and the top opened up, the walls folded down, and it fell apart into a bunch of metal and stuff.

Then the wind blew.  It was REALLY cold!  That's when I realized I was naked.  They said we had to be naked to travel in the ship because 'pedestrian clothing can contaminate the stasis chambers', whatever that means.  I was really shivering!  It felt like winter!

I saw two other pods folding down, and two other naked women came out.  One of them said "Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!" and the other kind of screamed.  "What do we do?" I asked.  "Get some shelter!" yelled the one who screamed.  We took the pod metal and ran to a big rock wall.  It was out of the wind, and we thought we could build some shelter there.

June 2, Year 1
Quote from: Halley's Private Journal
I asked the other two who they were.  The one who said "Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!" is Qianqian Lu.  She wants to be called Lu.  I asked her if that meant her name was backwards, and she said no.  She said my name was backwards.  I think she's silly, but I wouldn't say that out loud.

The other one is Flare Shift.  Flare has a really cool name!  And she's a teacher.  She's really smart!

We used some of the stuff from the pods yesterday to make a cave in the wall.  Lu showed me how to dig, so I helped out a lot.  Then Lu made a heater and Flare made a wind mill.  Now our cave is nice and warm!  We still don't have any clothes, but there was some food in the pods, so we've got lots to eat for now.  Flare made a distress beacon, but she doesn't think anyone will see it.  Lu says we need to figure out how to get more food since we'll run out some day.

June 3, Year 1
Flare says she can make some tables that grow food, so we started building some.  Lu says she wants more rooms "for privacy".  I don't know why she's worried - it's just us girls.  But I helped dig more rooms anyway.

June 4, Year 1
Quote from: Memoirs of a Frozen Hell, by Flare Shift
Today really sucked.  We thought we were alone here.  Turns out we're not.  A guy popped up on our sensors.  On closer look, he's a total idiot.  It's right around 0'C outside, and what's he got on?  Hats.  Six of them.  All on his head, somehow.  And he's wearing nothing else.  Yeah, gross.  And he wasn't too friendly either.  He just got kicked out of 'The Fearful Criminals', whatever that is, and he wanted to take it out on somebody.  He saw our dining table outside and decided to try to decorate it with fire from his Molotov cocktails.  (Like I said, seriously retarded.)  I just had to take a picture:

Not only stupid, but angry too.  He didn't like it when I screamed at him to take off.  He got violent.  What else could we do?  An angry, naked, violent guy was threatening three stranded, frightened, naked women.  We got violent too - and he got the beating of his life!  Don't mess with us!

Oh yeah, he's totally naked now.  And locked up - we're not murderers or anything.  And us girls are sporting some nice toques now.  It's better than nothing.

Still, I'm worried.  The others don't seem to have realized it, but this crazy guy game from somewhere.  Somewhere where people are willing to use violence to take what they want.  I didn't tell the others, but I switched off the distress beacon.  It's just too dangerous.

June 6, Year 1
Lu says we're running low on food.  She's always working on the food tables.  She says it's to make the plants grow faster.  But she doesn't really do anything else.  I think she's lazy.  Flare said to give Wedge less food to make it all last longer.  I think that's a good idea!

June 7, Year 1
Wedge is such a whiner!  First he complains about being naked.  Then he complains about imprisoned.  Then he complains that his prison doesn't look nice enough.  I complained about him being alive.  That caught what little attention he possessed.  And then I told him I might give him one of his hats back if he was good.  He just kind of squinted at me, like he was a little kid trying to decide if an adult was lying or telling the truth.

June 8, Year 1
Quote from: Lu's journal
Stupid planet!  Stupid shipwreck!  Stupid missing clothes!  And it just got better!  As if it wasn't cold enough already, this planet decides to get even colder!  A cold snap!  In summer!  It's like -10'C outside!  WTF!!

June 8, Year 1
Sigh.  It seems Lu has taken to calling me 'Shift'.  It was a joke at first, I think.  She was trying to convince Halley that our names were 'backwards'.  Now Halley is calling me Shift too.  Oh well.

There is at least some good news today.  I was able to use this cold snap to our advantage, and Wedge played along.

He looks like he'll be good in a fight when he's well fed.  I gave him back one of his helments, and the plasteel knife from one of the pods.  We don't trust his loyalty or his intelligence with a gun.

June 8, Year 1
Stupid planet!  Stupid cold!  Stupid Wedge!  Why does he get a bed and his own room?!  I want my own room too!  And why am I sleeping on the floor?!  It's not fair!  It's not fair!  I hate my life!

June 13, Year 1
It seems I didn't turn off the beacon soon enough.  I wish I hadn't made it at all.  We were attacked today, by more evil men.  The long and short of it is this: we took some minor injuries, which Halley and Lu were able to treat easily.  The attackers didn't fare so well, and now we have two sets of clothes and two graves to dig.  Lu got pants and a shirt.  Halley also got a pair of pants, and Wedge took a shirt for himself.  Not quite what I'd call fair, or logical, but the others have complained more than me so I let them sort it out.

What we really need to worry about is food.  We've got 4 hydroponics tables, but that's just not enough for 4 people.  We've been scavenging from survival meals around here.  I think they must have fallen from our ship.

July 1, Year 1
I took a picture today!

July 1, Year 1
Happy birthday, Canada.  Happy birthday, Flare.  No clothes, no presents, no one knows.

Oh well, suck it up girl.  There will be a better day yet.  Just you wait and see!

July 1, Year 1
Well today was kind of fun!  See, these bad dudes from The Fearful Criminals showed up.  That's the same place that Wedge is from, right?  So anyway, they try to attack us, and I just shout to Wedge, "Hey Wedge, get their clothes!" and Wedge ran out there.  I covered Wedge 'cause I thought he might turn on us, but he totally didn't notice (or didn't care!) was all like "Ima keel you, bad guys!!"  I helped take them out, see?

But don't worry - I did my best to fix Wedge up again!  ^_^

I took the sniper's M-24 and his armor.  Wedge took his pants.  Halley has a shirt now, and Shift got a jacket!  She's still kind of naked, but not like before.

July 2, Year 1
Aaaaannnndd, it's my birthday!  Which sucks, actually.  Where's the cake?  Where's the balloons?  Why are we still eating stupid survival meals six miles away?!  We just grew some really nice potatoes, but then they all got diseased and nasty!  When will we have real food?!  I want real food!!

July 4, Year 1
The fourth of July.  How ironic.  The fourth of July was celebrated in my ancestor's home as Independence Day, and it's been a family tradition to honor independence and freedom ever since.  Well, now we're becoming independent too!  My fertilizer pump project (don't ask) is working, and we're actually growing potatoes inside our cave.  Our hydroponic crop was lost to a blight, but we just might make it yet.

July 4, Year 1
I took another picture today!  That's way easier than writing everything!

Transcriber's note: The potato garden extends right to the edge of the water, yet it's somehow still indoors.  I'm guessing that the game thinks that all things impassible have a roof over them.

July 6, Year 1
A bunch of pods crashed nearby today.  I was really hoping for some real food!  I can't stop thinking about cake and pizza!  All that was in them was some old berries.  Yuck!  I hate berries!  Shift keeps going on about what wonderful luck it is.  I think it'd be wonderful luck if she lost her tongue.

July 10, Year 1
Well, I'll be damned, but we just might survive after all!  First we got a bunch of berries from some crashing escape pods.  More than we can eat, in fact!  This is great for our food stores, but now we have to figure out how to keep it from going bad.  Wedge actually had a pretty great idea on that front, and now we've got a walk-in freezer by the front door.  We also named our colony.

Who are we?  We are The Frozen.

Cue theme song.  Introduce the main characters.

End of Part 1

The colony & world file can be downloaded from my Google Drive here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwl7VU9z47sqUmVGemJaT3FNdms&usp=sharing

Anyone can download from the above link.  Please download both the world (PolluxPlanet.rww) and the colony save (The Frozen.rwm) to play.  You can upload back to my Google Drive link as long as you have a Google account of your own.  Feel free to upload it elsewhere.  Play, share your story, and enjoy!

Pathing

Save file: http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/594790/The-Frozen-rwm.html
Since this colony is kinda... god-like with 3 super colonists and 1 powerful double fireball colonist so I decide we need more members!

Thanks to Halley, we could open them.
http://s27.postimg.org/tlkmnl3gz/ss3.jpg
Megacrap!!! Raaaaaaan!
http://s27.postimg.org/zb0v7w9n7/ss4.jpg
Halley decided to close the exit by using fire. That's good idea Halley.
http://s27.postimg.org/4e9qnc0cz/ss5.jpg
So.. now we have 2 more prisoners :)
Let's see how we should deal with them.
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

MyNameIsSpyder

milon

@thehexbugofwater, I edited my original post.  It now includes a link to the IceSheet mod (no WaterWorld used), and a link to the World file which everyone will need.  My bad for leaving that out.  >_<

Put PolluxPlanet.rww in your World folder, and The Frozen.rwm in your Saves folder.  You can find the saves location by opening the main menu and looking for the Open Save Location option (something like that - going from memory right now...).

MyNameIsSpyder

Quote from: milon on January 08, 2015, 12:49:56 PM
@thehexbugofwater, I edited my original post.  It now includes a link to the IceSheet mod (no WaterWorld used), and a link to the World file which everyone will need.  My bad for leaving that out.  >_<

Put PolluxPlanet.rww in your World folder, and The Frozen.rwm in your Saves folder.

Ok, thanks! Playing now!

milon

MyNameIsSpyder

From Halley's Private Journal; Today we were almost immediately attacked by a swarm of mega-scarabs, breaking down our doors and ganging up on Wedge. Wedge took out one with his knife, but was quickly knocked unconscious, Lu rescuing him as Shift killed the rest of the scarabs singlehandedly and I cared for our prisoners. During the night our crops all had became inedible due to a blight, so we had to plant new ones before going back to sleep.

From Lu's Journal; Today Shift decided on a new form of defense; a trap that freezes enemies. I don't think that's a good idea. What if we got trapped in there? I do not want to freeze to death! Anyways, even if we do manage to set them up to only freeze the room if enemies are in it, how will they get in? If we add a door, they'll break it down to get in and the cold will escape. If we don't, the cold will escape without them even trying! Then Orion, or "Halley", as she calls herself suggested propping the door open with our old lee-enfield. When we prototyped it it worked, so we decided to try the trap.

From Memoirs of Frozen Hell by Flare Shift; We were still working on my freezer trap idea when it started snowing harder then I had ever seen. I locked the door to make sure nobody let the heat out and the hypothermia in, then I sat down to finish up my research. I quickly got done with geothermal power, continuing to start machining, so we could dispose of the bodies of the mega-scarabs.Halley finished up healing Lu and was going to heal Wedge in the morning, as they were damaged in the megascarab attack. Soon we settled down for another cold night.

From Halleys Private Journal; We woke up to the screams of Wedge, who was in horrible pain. When I investigated why, I wished I hadn't. He had an infection in his left leg and foot. I had to amputate it and replace it with a peg leg... I knew I should have stayed up and treated him at the same time as Lu! I'm such an idiot!

From Lu's Journal; Today was mostly uneventful, aside from us selling our prisoners into slavery and buying a surgeon with the profits. Our new colonist, Brianna, is surprisingly well rounded. She's decent at almost everything. We'll see how this goes.

From Memoirs of Frozen Hell by Flare Shift; Today was harsh. Our food supplies are low, we're all going insane, and the newbie even had to be arrested, and now we have to get her back into the colony. I hope everything turns out all right in the future.

Save file uploaded with Google Drive.

MyNameIsSpyder

I'll continue in a bit, will also add photos to the previous post. In a hurry.

MyNameIsSpyder

I'm done, and not in a hurry anymore. I'm just gonna edit my last post to add in the new stuff, if that's ok.

MyNameIsSpyder

Professor Cupcake

Ah. I was wondering when we'd see a Rimworld Lineage Succession game. Shut up, I totally know the DF lingo.

I shall follow this closely.

milon

Please feel free to give it a go!  There were 10+ people who expressed interest originally, but the effort seems to be lacking right now.

Professor Cupcake

Eah. Maybe a bit later.
Don't really have the time this week.

Also, I'm a shit writer and not that great at Rimworld, so I doubt I could contribute much.

MyNameIsSpyder

Quote from: Professor Cupcake on January 19, 2015, 03:09:59 AM
Eah. Maybe a bit later.
Don't really have the time this week.

Also, I'm a shit writer and not that great at Rimworld, so I doubt I could contribute much.
It doesn't matter, and, honestly, we need more drama around this point.