The most useless colonist ever.

Started by poulsen78, January 06, 2015, 05:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommytom

Quote from: lusername on March 09, 2015, 07:57:57 AM
Heh, and all his traits are useless since he cannot actually do any work.
Exactly. lol.
I ended up recruiting my guy even though he can only hunt and killed. At least he has a positive trait that somewhat negates the negative trait that makes him "work faster".

+45% (+30% and +15%, don't know if they multiple or just stack directly, but doesn't matter)
+1 mental break threshold (-5 +6)

Basically only has 1 trait and it's +1 worse mental break threshold.

Pink Photon

Quote from: passi965 on March 06, 2015, 04:45:21 PM
Hah, i found an even more useless Colonist ^^ http://puu.sh/gpiQu/0109935fa3.jpg

I was happy to get a colonist like that in my current game. I like having someone whose job it is to just churn out sculptures constantly. That they are also a much better fighter than any of my other colonists is a nice bonus.

PKGameOnly

Yes as someone already pointed out the Assassin is the worst colonist ever.  I never knew why everyone was so excited about someone who could shoot and would pick an assassin as one of their members because they had shooting 12 or so.  Because it seems the game mechanism seems to be that your guys are horrible shooters no matter if they have level 20 skill but the raiders/tribes with level 5 or 0 can shoot you dead from across the way single bullet.  I dont put assassins in my colony as they cant do nothing for me, cant grow, clean, haul. and if you can do any of that to benefit the colony then I dont take you.  So Nobles, Pestguard and some Deathjacks they dont always get spots in my colony above sex slaves, settlers, & engineers.

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Darkhymn

Quote from: Pink Photon on March 09, 2015, 03:50:13 PM
Quote from: passi965 on March 06, 2015, 04:45:21 PMHah, i found an even more useless Colonist ^^ http://puu.sh/gpiQu/0109935fa3.jpg
I was happy to get a colonist like that in my current game. I like having someone whose job it is to just churn out sculptures constantly. That they are also a much better fighter than any of my other colonists is a nice bonus.

This. If I don't have a character that can do nothing else, I will virtually never make art, because why would I?

vendox

Will a hunter carry a carcass back even though he won't haul?  I assume it's similar to how a guy who won't haul will still get materials and bring them to the work site.  If so, early game I still get rid of that guy or sell him to a trader.  Mid-Late game hes my new dedicated hunter.  Even if he doesn't bring carcasses back I would still use him late game to fight.   

Darkhymn

Quote from: vendox on March 12, 2015, 04:16:29 AM
Will a hunter carry a carcass back even though he won't haul?  I assume it's similar to how a guy who won't haul will still get materials and bring them to the work site.  If so, early game I still get rid of that guy or sell him to a trader.  Mid-Late game hes my new dedicated hunter.  Even if he doesn't bring carcasses back I would still use him late game to fight.

I believe that a hunter incapable of hauling will still return his kill, though I've never actually tested this. When returning a kill, rather than "Hauling squirrel (dead) to stockpile 7" or whatever, it says something to the effect of "Hunting squirrelcorpse" or similar. This leads me to think that perhaps the behavior is different.

Apophis

Yes, it is. If you just killed something, wouldn't you want to brag about the gigantic monster of a squirrel you just shot in it's front left leg big toe?

Arsonik

Quote from: Kinakin on January 09, 2015, 10:20:35 AM
Aye pure combat colonists are rather useless. Since colonist combat is a very rng based endevor. They basically live on borrowed time until they either get killed or gimped.

They are basically all red shirts

I didn't read all the replies so forgive me if someone else brought this up already.

Yellow shirts are statistically more likely to die than red shirts.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRp92HXDlgY

b0rsuk

For the record, I just found a guy like that, except he has no Social and the 3 is in Art, not Medicine. And he has a bionic eye :P. I bet you haven't checked that.

lusername

Yes, but a very curious thing happens: He brings back the carcass...part of the way. Then, for no particularly obvious reason, he gets tired of hauling the corpse back, and drops it in the field and wanders off, and someone else has to finish the hauling because he won't do it. Hunters who can also haul don't do this.

b0rsuk

Quote from: lusername on March 18, 2015, 02:16:47 AM
Yes, but a very curious thing happens: He brings back the carcass...part of the way. Then, for no particularly obvious reason, he gets tired of hauling the corpse back, and drops it in the field and wanders off, and someone else has to finish the hauling because he won't do it. Hunters who can also haul don't do this.

The reason is either "resting" or "consuming fine meal".

Apophis

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 18, 2015, 03:09:43 AM
Quote from: lusername on March 18, 2015, 02:16:47 AM

The reason is either "resting" or "consuming fine meal".

No, the reason is a bug; the hunters don't reserve a position in the stockpile, and when the position they target is reserved by someone else for hauling, they drop the corpse.

silenced

Full time hunters are nice to have, additional they can wreak havoc to besieging enemies when equipped with an Sniper Rifle. With 'fast walker' he can even outrun most enemies from such groups that go melee on him, to lure them into the turret-traps.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...