Ideal temperature

Started by drbln, January 08, 2015, 12:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drbln

1) What temp should I set to store food?
+1C seems to be enough for the food to remain fresh.
But if it reaches 0C or below, then it's written "Frozen". Does it have any adverse influence on food?

2) What's the ideal temp for colonists? +21C?

3) I found a slight bug: I closed 10 colonists in the room and increased the temp to +120C.
However, they had just a heart attack and didn't die immediately, which doesn't seem to be realistic, as blood boils at ~ +100C.

Romi

You should keep food with -0C below because it won't spoil like in real life.Colonists may be warm skinned or cool skinned so one may like cold one may like warm but for a normal colonist i would say +25C should be enough.

JimmyAgnt007

I keep food at -10 since you gain heat whenever the door opens.  Nothing wrong with freezing food.

Darkshadow

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 08, 2015, 01:18:31 PM
I keep food at -10 since you gain heat whenever the door opens.  Nothing wrong with freezing food.
Plus the temperature is then low enough to survive a power cut without thawing.

Room temperature is normally defined as 17-18c and colonists are quite happy that that temperature, though I'm often lazy and leave it at 21.

Geertje123

My freezers are set to -40, in case of solar flares.

I noticed that at 21+ degrees my colonists complain about sleeping in the heat, so every room in my base is set to 16 degrees Celcius, except for my farm rooms

milon

Quote from: drbln on January 08, 2015, 12:05:23 PM
3) I found a slight bug: I closed 10 colonists in the room and increased the temp to +120C.
However, they had just a heart attack and didn't die immediately, which doesn't seem to be realistic, as blood boils at ~ +100C.

Room temperature isn't the same as internal body temperature.  :P
Also, how would you know what temperature blood boils at?  That's creepy.

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: drbln on January 08, 2015, 12:05:23 PM
If you think about the mass or volume of the liquid which is needed to boil, and its starting temperature, you'd discover that it takes quite a lot of effort (energy) to get from 36C to boiling. Water, which our bodies are mostly made of, is a great heatsink, which makes it a great coolant, and at the same time, a tricky substance to heat. Look up the concept of 'thermal capacity' in physics or chemistry. I'd say you might just survive 30 minutes in 100C. You'd be unconscious though, and have burn injuries. You'll surely eventually die not due to boiling blood, but due to the medical complications arising from the elevated body temperature. There are other temps your body reaches before it hits 100C, such as 50C or 60C. If your core body temp rises up to 50C, that's likely lethal. 40C fever can be lethal. Five minutes in a 100C room is painful but you'll still be conscious (if you're otherwise a healthy person) and you won't even get any burn injuries, other than some red tint on your skin for an hour. Some masochists in Scandinavian countries, where saunas are common, heat their saunas up to 100C. It supposedly feels great afterwards to go from extreme hot air to extreme cold, such as from 15mins@80C to 2mins@-20C. Try different times and different temps. BTW, if you think about it, you won't turn into an icicle after an hour at -10C just because water freezes at 0C. The human body is complicated, as is physics or chemistry.