Biomes

Started by JimmyAgnt007, January 08, 2015, 01:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyAgnt007

What biomes are confirmed but not in yet?  And what others would people like to see?

Id like a Hoth like arctic biome, I think thats in the plan somewhere.

Volcanic would be neat.

Id love to have an underwater biome.  Need a scuba suit to go outside, life support.  Underwater nasties and leaky domes.  Goods sink in pods not too differently than how it works now, sending goods up can be as simple as attaching a balloon.

OR

Just being able to build on water with floating buildings.  We want fishing already, but it would be neat to have a series of islands forming a colony.  Some for farms, mining, living. 

Johnny Masters

An underwater scenario would be neat. You'd probably need to drop with a whole self-sustaining (at least initially) module of your crashing ship. With some kind of bridge, provisions and an airlock with scuba or exploration gear, so you can expand and build your domes.

This might tie in with the parkawinter thread, for an way to auto-equip certain clothing items. It might be a whole update based around extreme environments: heat, cold, toxic, radioactive, vacuum, wind, lighting, dark, mist, underwater, etc.

I know, it's probably never going to done tho, but one can dream.

The island hopping -surface building is more real tho, also neat.

Zilch

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Zilch on January 08, 2015, 06:07:25 PM
Gas Giant planet.

"Your ship broke open in orbit of a gas giant. Your life pods careen down into the planet. You were crushed by the gravitational forces of the atmosphere. The end."

Would make for a quick game, I'm sure.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Zilch

Floaty air-locked facility.
I'm sure a little bit of the ship could survive for this case.

Mihsan

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 08, 2015, 01:16:25 PM
What biomes are confirmed but not in yet?

Ice sheet and ocean.

Ice sheet was made in some mod, but it is far from ideal. IMO for this biome we need some way to build from snow. And some new arctic animals too.

I do not think, that ocean tiles should be playable. But some more love to islands could be nice.

Some ideas:
- Grassland biome (a lot of fertile soil, but small ammount of trees)
- River or lake as special feature visible on global map (just like mountains); in desert should work as oasis, which is super fun

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 08, 2015, 01:16:25 PMunderwater biome

Nope. It is like making whole new game inside of another.

"Our ship sank and we died in our cryptosleep pods. The end."
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

ousire

Having a map made entirely of smallish and medium sized islands seems pretty awesome but the biggest issue is how do you handle things like movement between islands? If you can't travel from island X to island Y, you're going to be severely limited.

Also, what about when you get raided, or when people travel or visit? How will travelers get from one side of the map to the other, and how will raiders reach your base? What about the air drop of supplies, what if they land in the water?

For a map like that to work we would first need the ability for colonists to swim from island to island (Perhaps risking hypothermia and sickness in the process), or to build boats or bridges.

JimmyAgnt007

boats and bridges would be my solution for getting between islands, but if there was swimming and water temperature  that could be fun too.  Its not unrealistic to expect spaceships or at least the escape pods to have flotation devices built in since our own capsules are recovered from the water.  It would just be rather tricky.  Underwater is functionally similar to being under a mountain just that outside is more of a challenge. 

Anduin1357

Possibly, the whole craft survived instead and there is little life support, your mission is to dig into the seabed (since the craft is half in it), build a viable solution to having an entrance that does not allow water to enter your base/ repair the hull of the ship and revolving the story around the ship that protects the entrance of the colony.
//Underwater Biome.

Islands would need vehicles and I think Rimworld needs a few more alphas to go before it supports vehicles officially.

Gas Giant planet. It would be impossible to survive where it is atmospherically dense enough to slow down and essentially stop a 10+ km/s per second rapid atmospheric deorbit break. Just play KSP, you would barely get anywhere near atmospheric density level. Unfeasible.

Floating colony. A beautiful idea that needs work in "how to gain resources?" "How to handle transport?" Still too early in alpha for that.

JimmyAgnt007

something like a bespin gas mine would be neat, but also dependant on a single resource, even if it were possible, im not sure how fun it would be.