Spicing up mountains.

Started by Noobshock, January 17, 2015, 08:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noobshock

So while the outside terrain has plenty of variety and cool stuff going on, digging in mountains is usually pretty boring and uneventful. I bring this up because I recently came across the cave flora mod, and I'm hoping in the future we get to see both cave flora, fauna (types up for debate) and other random things.

It would also make plenty of sense for Devilstrand to grow inside mountains, and would provide extra opportunities to balance its power, as it's a lot more work to dig around for a growing area rather than just planting a crapload early game in some giant field.

Feel free to discuss the general idea.

FridayBiology

No idea about mushrooms though maybe make mushrooms poor ingredients for meals as they'd require no UV and a damp/moist environment.
Also I'd like more electric based weapons to counter the new personal shields as well as to as a work around for devilstrand gear.
Land slide event : digging out large area may make area unstable, especially after/during rain or heavy snow storms

Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Shinzy

the cryptopod shrines being fully inside mountains in the future is a good start!

Eleazar

Quote from: Noobshock on January 17, 2015, 08:57:34 AM
It would also make plenty of sense for Devilstrand to grow inside mountains...

Not especially.  It's a common fantasy trope that caves have forests of mushrooms, and while fungus doesn't need light to grow, anything bigger than a moldy film eats biomass.  And there's almost no biomass inside the earth.  It's not really a problem you can make go away by saying "genetic engineering!"  Life needs energy.  Big, fast-growing life needs more energy.

I mention it because he seems to be going for hard sci-fi, but i don't know exactly how much he'll stick to science.

Though I too wouldn't mind seeing more surprises hidden under mountains...

FridayBiology

*digs into water reservoir and floods tunnel* 
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Noobshock

Quote from: Eleazar on January 17, 2015, 10:55:13 AM
Though I too wouldn't mind seeing more surprises hidden under mountains...

We agree on the important part then :D

porcupine

Quote from: Shinzy on January 17, 2015, 10:43:46 AM
the cryptopod shrines being fully inside mountains in the future is a good start!

And half inside/half caved in, inside mountains would be good too, having to dig some pods out, etc.