[A9] Defend That Colony! Alpha 9 Compatibility (v1.2 update: 18/01/15)

Started by elStrages, January 20, 2015, 08:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kutch

Wonderful mod, I look forward to playing with it.

Another suggestion, regarding the moats.  While I haven't played it yet, am assuming it's either impassable (unlikely) or that they cross it going very slow.  Would it be possible to have a way where our pawns cross it at normal movement speed, either by a drawbridge of sorts, or a wall which lowers under the moat and raises to ground level when activated?

This truly looks wonderful, can't wait to give it a whirl.

popster99

elStrages

Quote from: kutch on January 24, 2015, 09:32:58 AM
Wonderful mod, I look forward to playing with it.

Another suggestion, regarding the moats.  While I haven't played it yet, am assuming it's either impassable (unlikely) or that they cross it going very slow.  Would it be possible to have a way where our pawns cross it at normal movement speed, either by a drawbridge of sorts, or a wall which lowers under the moat and raises to ground level when activated?

This truly looks wonderful, can't wait to give it a whirl.
That is a good idea and would again require a c# programmer which I am not but I have friends :)

Herc18

Quick question, What are the effects of the moat, trench, and barbwire? do they all just slow down pawns? injure them? (barbwire) or impassable Moat?

Thanks! Like your sprite work too :)
looking forward to future updates!!
What has been, will be again.

Iwillbenicetou

Man, this will give me more to defending. Are Embrasures better? I feel once you get late game, Raiders just shoot straight through them.
P.S. You spelled trenches wrong...
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

elStrages

Quote from: Herc18 on January 24, 2015, 04:00:29 PM
Quick question, What are the effects of the moat, trench, and barbwire? do they all just slow down pawns? injure them? (barbwire) or impassable Moat?

Thanks! Like your sprite work too :)
looking forward to future updates!!
Maots - lots of health, slow down people
Barbed wire- impassable needs to be destroyed to pass
trenches - easily passed, provide cover at about .8 at ground level
the embrasures - .9 coverage tall wall can be fired through, pawns have to be next to the wall pretty much to hit you back.

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on January 24, 2015, 04:25:24 PM
Man, this will give me more to defending. Are Embrasures better? I feel once you get late game, Raiders just shoot straight through them.
P.S. You spelled trenches wrong...
for your first point see above, and is it spelt wrong in the mod

Herc18

What's your advice on the best way to layer them?  don't want raiders using my own trenches against me :)
What has been, will be again.

shade88

Quote from: Herc18 on January 24, 2015, 07:03:51 PM
What's your advice on the best way to layer them?  don't want raiders using my own trenches against me :)
From the outer defenses to the inner, I'd suggest:

First line of defense:
   1.Moat
   2.Sandbags
   3.Turrets
   4.Barbed wire
Second line of defense and up:
   1.Repeat First line of defense.
Last line of defense:
   1.Moat
   2.Sandbags
   3.Turrets
   4.Embrasures
   5.Citizens

Depending on how much space and how many resources you have, you might end up being able to afford only two or three lines of defense at first, but I designed this layout so you could add additional lines of defense simply by copying the outermost one. Also, it might be best to add a layer of trenches between the turrets and barbed wire, or between the turrets themselves, in case you want your colonists to help out with the outer line

Oh, and keep decent spacing between each separate defense too. Like this, the raiders can't easily approach the turrets without getting caught in the moat, and if the first line of defense is taken down, the raiders won't even be able to use the sand bags since they'll have to get through the barbed wire to go any further. Spacing out each line's defenses keeps the raiders out of range of the second and final line of defense until they're already in the moat.

elStrages

the post above is a good plan :), but if an enemy is determined enough, even your own trenches can be used against you at some point.

palandus

But that applies to all ground warfare though, elstrages. If your enemy is determined enough, it generally doesn't matter how well defended you are. Like... storming the beaches Normandy. Sure, we'll lose a million men, but we'll take those defenses.

elStrages

inman30

Haven't checked this mod in a while... Seems to be coming along :D I must try it.

CorSec

elStrages

Quote from: CorSec on February 15, 2015, 05:14:34 AM
Can turrets fire through the embrasures?
you know what, I haven't tested it, but I wouldn't see why not, make sure that you place them right next to it.