Mod Request MULTIPLAYER

Started by 238878, January 22, 2015, 06:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A mod Where You Spawn In A 800x800 World And Each Player Will Get A "SafeZone" At The Beginning Of The Game 400x400.
Two Players "Or Maybe In The Future More ?" Can Help Or Hurt The Other Player. The Two Players Will Then billed There Base's
And Proceed To Attack Or Maybe Even Defend There New Allies. It Would Be Really Nice To Finally Have Multiplayer  With A Simple Host
Server Button And The Other Player Connects Threw Hamachi Or A Even Better Software.

Telkir

At the moment Rimworld isn't going in the direction of multiplayer, and it's unlikely to for the foreseeable future. Perhaps when the game is closer to completion and there are fewer changes to the code happening, modders might try to take this on, but it would be a pretty big ask.

In a perfect world some form of multiplayer could be interesting, but the focus of the game is more on creating fun and involving single-player storylines (similar to what you can get from Dwarf Fortress) - and although the game's already excellent for that, there's still so much potential to be explored!

Gaesatae

Someone asked Tynan about making a multiplayer mod not long ago:

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/554037665235206144

Nearly impossible.

Kemono

Quote from: Gaesatae on January 22, 2015, 07:33:21 AM

Nearly impossible.

Impossible is a disgusting word. Nothing is impossible. From time travel to entering the fifth dimension, if you strive for it, it'll happen.

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: Kemono on January 23, 2015, 12:24:58 PM
Quote from: Gaesatae on January 22, 2015, 07:33:21 AM

Nearly impossible.

Impossible is a disgusting word. Nothing is impossible. From time travel to entering the fifth dimension, if you strive for it, it'll happen.

Which is why he said nearly. not so "disgusting"
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

chaotix14

I don't know why, but it smells like someone has been playing tropico 5 recently. In any case to change rimworld from it's single player nature to a multiplayer capable game would most likely require a lot of the base code to be rewritten. It's not something you can easily do as an extra addition to the base game or as mod. If it was so easy there would be multiplayer versions of dwarf fortress available.

Also without sounding too pessimistic I'd like to mention a point of problem gameplay wise. The inability to pause or fast-forward without affecting the others. Easily fixed by just locking speed to normal right?(because fighting over the game speed is not gonna be fun for anyone, except griefers and trolls) Yeah, except maybe you'd like to be able to pause with the raid incoming and you need a second or two more to give the orders to get everyone in position or want to speed up time while you are waiting for your colonists to do their tasks(or get some shut eye).

Lord Fappington

for a prescient example see Don't Starve & Don't Starve Together.  It is a big undertaking.