Best Rifle?

Started by SimpletonSnowman, November 10, 2013, 12:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nnescio

Quote from: Galileus on November 10, 2013, 07:34:16 AM
Ah... I see... VIDEO GAMES SHOTGUNS...

Related:

ShadowDragon8685

Shotguns would be useful if shots hit the first thing in their way, and not merely what they were calculated to hit, and so spread out. I know shotguns don't spread that much in close combat, but if you were using a wide, flat choke, they'd have some spread - enough to fill a 1-tile hallway and make life absolutely suck for the jackasses sprinting down said hallway.

Of course, for that to work, weapons wouldn't need to take forever and a day to acquire targets and fire. By the time they do that, the bloody raiders are in melee.
Raiders must die!

Galileus

That would also recreate the turrets problem all over again. Get shotguns -> win doesn't sound like an interesting strategy.

mumblemumble

Not entirely, if a shotgun was quick to FIRE, but slow to cycle (guns have a "prime" time, and a reload time) then it would work fine, giving people a quick strike, even if they couldn't fire as rapid like pistols.

And assuming range is kept at a good low, I don't see it as OP,  considering there are very specific circumstances they become better than the charge rifles / snipers
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

ShadowDragon8685

Then what good would it be? You nail the first guy in the corridor, get soft-stunned, and the second guy beats your face in. Even if you have two guys at the end of the corridor, then it just means the third guy gets to beat your face in.
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 10, 2013, 04:51:41 PM
Then what good would it be? You nail the first guy in the corridor, get soft-stunned, and the second guy beats your face in. Even if you have two guys at the end of the corridor, then it just means the third guy gets to beat your face in.

Your point? You want to kill all and everything without doing nothing, right? Seriously, this is getting boring. All you ever post is "gimme a magic one hit kill gun or god mode! otherwise too hard". Turn the darn difficulty down, there's no shame in that. Other people want to have their enjoyment too, you know?

Seriously, there IS an easy mode for ya. You can turn it on whenever you want.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Galileus on November 10, 2013, 05:08:13 PMYour point? You want to kill all and everything without doing nothing, right? Seriously, this is getting boring. All you ever post is "gimme a magic one hit kill gun or god mode! otherwise too hard". Turn the darn difficulty down, there's no shame in that. Other people want to have their enjoyment too, you know?

Seriously, there IS an easy mode for ya. You can turn it on whenever you want.

You know what the point of battle is?

It's to inflict enough damage on the enemy that they stop fighting you, whilst taking as little damage for yourself as possible.

And in this game, we're outnumbered both tactically (number of raiders on the map versus the number of colonists very quickly goes pear-shaped,) and strategically (infinite raiders waiting to drop in and go suicide fanatic on you,) and the raiders have vastly superior gunnery skills.

So yes. We do need magic guns, because that's the only way to survive a raid without having taken ridiculous casualties that leave you pretty much incapable of fending off the next raid, and utterly incapable of fending off the raid after that. So, quite honestly, two guys at the end of a narrow corridor should constitute complete and utter death for any raiders attempting to traverse that hallway - they file in, they drop like flies.

Because strategic positioning and control of the battlefield are the only defensive mechanisms we have.
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 10, 2013, 05:12:53 PMSo yes. We do need magic guns, because that's the only way to survive a raid without having taken ridiculous casualties that leave you pretty much incapable of fending off the next raid, and utterly incapable of fending off the raid after that.

So either we have magical guns already - because me and few guys here are doing fine with more and more ridiculous handicaps - or you REALLY should drop the difficulty level instead of whining on and on about it.

SERIOUSLY, I don't get it. While right now Cassandra The Sadist may be too much, a lot of folk started posting up their stories about no turrets/no funnelling games where we are doing quite well. And we're having a blast doing so - if anything we do the same, we have a lot of fun. Every guy who tries the no-cheeze approach said the same thing - it plays awesome. And it is awesome. Just one guy whines it's way, way too hard and insists that EVERYONE ELSE drops on difficulty levels.

There's a lot gold in these forums. More importantly, there's a lot of folk that are excited for a game that takes itself for real - AT LAST! No hand-holding, no 3h long unstoppable tutorial videos, the good old hardcore ways. And there's a lot of folk that want just to build. And we all find our places and our storytellers. Just you don't. It's about time to think if it's you or everyone else who does something wrong.

ShadowDragon8685

Those "no funnels, no waffles, no turret guys" have massive defensive fortifications, you realize, right? They have cheesy escape tunnels through which raiders cannot burst without spending time beating on doors, and other BS like that. In the end, it's more effective than turrets, it just exposes your colonists to more incoming fire.

Why would you? Why would you expose your people to fire when you can build a first line of defense in the form of turrets to soak up the fire? You wouldn't, unless you're a goddamn moron. You're also going to lose people more often, and frankly, losing people is like getting kicked in the crotch. The raiders don't scale down.
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 10, 2013, 06:18:07 PMYou're also going to lose people more often

THAT'S THE POINT! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO LOOSE PEOPLE!

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Galileus on November 10, 2013, 06:32:56 PM
Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 10, 2013, 06:18:07 PMYou're also going to lose people more often

THAT'S THE POINT! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO LOOSE PEOPLE!

No, that's the point of getting kicked in the crotch.

Every single dorf/colonist I lose is a kick in the crotch. It means I fucked up. I fucked up, and because of it, I have suffered an increased chance of fucking up in the future, and decreased ability to correct for future fuck-ups.

THAT IS NOT FUN!

Following up a fuck-up with increased chances of failure, even if they correct the problem that led to the fuck-up in the first place, is kicking the player when they're down.

You know what else feels like that? Going into depressed Detroit with a sign that reads "poor people are stupid and deserve their lot in life." (Replace with different places and different offensive slogans.) Watch how quickly you'll get "the point" of being knocked down and then kicked repeatedly when you're down.
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 10, 2013, 06:51:09 PMYou know what else feels like that? Going into depressed Detroit with a sign that reads "poor people are stupid and deserve their lot in life." (Replace with different places and different offensive slogans.) Watch how quickly you'll get "the point" of being knocked down and then kicked repeatedly when you're down.

How does that relate to point at hand? Not at all. Does developer himself pointed out his vision? He did. Is there a way to go onto an easier mode? There is. Is you post anything else than spewing hatred at anyone having different vision than you? I do think so.

I'm sorry, but I gotta report this. You listen to no reason, you negate every piece of a fact someone would throw at you, you completely ignore the fact that you can change difficulty at any time and - worst of all - you push through with more and more post about removing raiders or keeping TD play-style with more and more hateful tone.

John_T

Wow guys, really? Galileus, you are going to report him for what? Not sharing your opinion? The forum is a place to discuss topics, if you don't want to discuss with ShadowDragon then DON'T. Getting back to topic....I personally enjoy the M16 due to its 8 tile range advantage (Pretty sure this is correct), but I am going to try out the R4 in my next few games.

Stormkiko

QuoteI personally enjoy the M16 due to its 8 tile range advantage

As do I. The majority of my pawns always have M-16s with a side of R-4s. If everyone had R-4s, while you may be doing higher damage, you'd be pooched against M-16s.

Xanting

I prefer to let raiders into my base to negate any ranged advantage the sniper rifles have and equip my colonists with R4 rifles and other high dps weapons. Urban combat can be very effective because you can move through buildings, retreat behind fairly sturdy doors and the buildings divide and isolate raiders. This tactic is fairly micromanagey but it adds to the strategic feel of the game.