[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabbamonkey

I'm using v1.1.1 and I noticed that some of the textures aren't working correctly ....

... note the Rheinmetall gun in the image above. I search my mods directory for the gun, and a single file in the CombatRealismDefence came up.

Any idea what's causing this, and how to fix it?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: jabbamonkey on March 24, 2015, 03:40:10 PM
I'm using v1.1.1 and I noticed that some of the textures aren't working correctly ....

... note the Rheinmetall gun in the image above. I search my mods directory for the gun, and a single file in the CombatRealismDefence came up.

Any idea what's causing this, and how to fix it?

Its the cannon turret's weapon and it shouldn't show up on traders. That bug should have been fixed with the last update. Are you sure you're using the most recent version of the Defence Pack (i.e. both the core module and the pack show version 1.1.1)?
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

jabbamonkey

I noticed the issue ... saved the game ... deleted the old version of the mod, downloaded the most recent version of the mod, restarted the game ... and then loaded my save. And the issue still was there.

Was the issue there because of the old save? And will disappear with any new trader/visitor?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: jabbamonkey on March 24, 2015, 07:04:49 PM
I noticed the issue ... saved the game ... deleted the old version of the mod, downloaded the most recent version of the mod, restarted the game ... and then loaded my save. And the issue still was there.

Was the issue there because of the old save? And will disappear with any new trader/visitor?

I assume an already generated trader would retain it even after the update, but any newly generated trader should not carry that weapon. Also there is a precision turret gun listed, is that from another mod?

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 24, 2015, 07:33:35 PM
Quote from: jabbamonkey on March 24, 2015, 07:04:49 PM

I assume an already generated trader would retain it even after the update, but any newly generated trader should not carry that weapon. Also there is a precision turret gun listed, is that from another mod?
Yeah its from i thing the more vanilla turrets mod thats a bug i noticed to and its a super op on that has like almost a 100%hit chance
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

LustrousWolf

Will these mods work with this mod? http://gyazo.com/0627a1651a09679162977afb9a35be3e

PS: how do i install it? it comes with CR and sometihng called source? do i put both in mods folder or what?

bluestrike15

I was wondering if you could try and get this mod and the superior crafting mod working together. It has some turrets that need to be changed for balance sake.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: LustrousWolf on April 02, 2015, 02:37:32 PM
Will these mods work with this mod? http://gyazo.com/0627a1651a09679162977afb9a35be3e

PS: how do i install it? it comes with CR and sometihng called source? do i put both in mods folder or what?

Can't follow that link at the moment, can you link to the mod's forum thread?

The Source folder contains the source code for the mod, in case another modder wants to have a look. You don't need it for the mod to run.

Quote from: bluestrike15 on April 06, 2015, 10:57:47 PM
I was wondering if you could try and get this mod and the superior crafting mod working together. It has some turrets that need to be changed for balance sake.

Technically yes, but I've been kinda busy with stuff lately, so I don't have much time to dedicate to Rimworld or this mod. I might have a look if I get around to it this week.

dustysniper

I have some questions about the choices you made in your mod. Just curiousity. I love this mod.

QuoteAll weapons do damage in accordance with their calibers

Not all weapons inflict same damage based on calibers their is a lot of mitigating factors such as bullet design, location of hit and the amount of grains in a round. Higher caliber weapons usually create a through and through which just cuts straight through and is easier for field surgeons to patch up , while lower caliber tend to bounce off bones and tear up internal organs.

QuoteBurst sizes are based on magazine size. Guns designed for sustained automatic fire (SMGs & sub-carbines, machine guns, automatic shotguns) have bursts equivalent to 1/5 their magazine size.

These weapons don't really have a sustained rate not if you actually want to hit targets. All experienced machine gunners don't hold the trigger down. By sustained rate I am assuming you mean the rate of fire the weapon can sustain with no damage to barrel or internals with min. barrel swaps?

QuoteAll weapons have ranges equivalent to 1/5 their real life effective range

What are you using as their real life effective range?

QuoteShotguns fire 8 low damage pellets instead of a single projectile with damage depending on how many hit.

Every shotgun Ive personally seen in combat uses slugs, they take out doors and personal. Just curious why you selected using buck over slugs?

QuoteMany explosives now use a new fragmentation effect, scattering lethal shell fragments over large distances

The deadliest part of an HE explosion is the concussion blast not the fragmentation or explosion itself. People well literally die a far way away from explosives from the supersonic blast wave. But fragments from grenades do scatter far. I once pulled a fragment out of a tree over 100 m from where I threw a frag.

QuoteGenerally, limbs are tougher while organs are squishier and bleed much more. A rifle shot to an unprotected heart is lethal, but it does not send an arm flying. Only repeated hits or a high power round (.50cal, Lasgun, etc.) can destroy limbs.

Limbs have pretty serious arteries in them and are deadly especially the groin and hamstring area. If you sever an artery there your chances are pretty low, but a gut shot you have several hours and can get to medical treatment in time. A .50cal doesnt even have to make contact with a limb to tear it off. Why multiple rounds to destroy limbs?

Also shouldnt high caliber weapons destroy walls and mechs? A .50cal shreds through concrete and up armored vehicles. I don't know what you mean by the internal organs thing rather than the torso? Can you clarify? Soldiers are taught to protect internal organs it was much more common to see gunshot wounds in arms and legs rather than the torso. Thats why your taught to face plates down range all your protection is there the issue comes from if your shooting back your arms and weapon are blocking your torso and your typically nuts to dirt. The biggest thing I would love to see in this game is a prone and crouching stance that increases accuracy makes you harder to hit and reduces movement speed dramatically. Standing would also decrease accuracy pretty dramatically good look hitting a target at 100+ meters standing while its moving. Squad formations would be awesome and bounding techniques but I'm not an experienced programmer (i just dabble) and that would probably be incredibly hard.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: dustysniper on April 09, 2015, 11:25:56 PM
I have some questions about the choices you made in your mod. Just curiousity. I love this mod.

QuoteAll weapons do damage in accordance with their calibers

Not all weapons inflict same damage based on calibers their is a lot of mitigating factors such as bullet design, location of hit and the amount of grains in a round. Higher caliber weapons usually create a through and through which just cuts straight through and is easier for field surgeons to patch up , while lower caliber tend to bounce off bones and tear up internal organs.

Maybe "caliber" is not the most accurate term. What I meant is that damage is based on the type of bullet fired and in relation to its real world characteristics (muzzle energy, ballistics, etc.). For example, all weapons using 5.56mm do the same amount of damage and the 5.56 has been balanced with regard to other bullet types, rather than weapon types. Vanilla Rimworld and Project Armory an M-24 would do several times more damage than a FN FAL or M60 "cause its sniper". Here, a weapon firing 7.62x51mm will do the same amount of damage no matter if its an MG, assault or sniper rifle.

QuoteBurst sizes are based on magazine size. Guns designed for sustained automatic fire (SMGs & sub-carbines, machine guns, automatic shotguns) have bursts equivalent to 1/5 their magazine size.

These weapons don't really have a sustained rate not if you actually want to hit targets. All experienced machine gunners don't hold the trigger down. By sustained rate I am assuming you mean the rate of fire the weapon can sustain with no damage to barrel or internals with min. barrel swaps?

By "sustained automatic fire" I don't mean holding down the trigger Hollywood style until your bottomless magazine runs dry. In the case of SMGs and shotguns my reasoning was that with rifles, you usually shoot at long distances, so you use semi-auto or 2-3 round bursts, whereas with SMGs you have a low-recoil weapon at room distance, thus you can use larger bursts and still land your rounds on target.

MG bursts can differ greatly depending on whether you want to engage a single target, suppress an area, etc. Since Rimworld weapon burst size and accuracy are fixed I decided I'd balance MGs for area suppression because otherwise they would simply turn into assault rifles with the range and power of sniper rifles, making those weapon types obsolete.

QuoteAll weapons have ranges equivalent to 1/5 their real life effective range

What are you using as their real life effective range?

See this table. I'm going by the standard definition of the distance a shooter can hit a target 50% of the time (for MGs its the effective range against area targets). Most of the values are based off of Internet research because I can't really test 160+ guns myself.

QuoteShotguns fire 8 low damage pellets instead of a single projectile with damage depending on how many hit.

Every shotgun Ive personally seen in combat uses slugs, they take out doors and personal. Just curious why you selected using buck over slugs?

I was under the impression shotguns use 00 buckshot for a combat load. Though I'm not too knowledgeable on the topic of shotguns.

QuoteMany explosives now use a new fragmentation effect, scattering lethal shell fragments over large distances

The deadliest part of an HE explosion is the concussion blast not the fragmentation or explosion itself. People well literally die a far way away from explosives from the supersonic blast wave. But fragments from grenades do scatter far. I once pulled a fragment out of a tree over 100 m from where I threw a frag.

Not sure what your question is. The fragmentation system I implemented because as you said, fragments can scatter much further than the actual explosion. So I created a system that could model this effect more accurately than the vanilla explosions.

QuoteGenerally, limbs are tougher while organs are squishier and bleed much more. A rifle shot to an unprotected heart is lethal, but it does not send an arm flying. Only repeated hits or a high power round (.50cal, Lasgun, etc.) can destroy limbs.

Limbs have pretty serious arteries in them and are deadly especially the groin and hamstring area. If you sever an artery there your chances are pretty low, but a gut shot you have several hours and can get to medical treatment in time. A .50cal doesnt even have to make contact with a limb to tear it off. Why multiple rounds to destroy limbs?

Rimworld doesn't model arteries by default. It could be implemented but would cause this mod to be incompatible with any other that adds body parts. As to limbs, the multiple hit thing is for smaller calibers, 5.56, 7.62 etc. A .50cal can still destroy them in one hit. Realistically it is possible for a smaller round to do enough damage to a limb to require amputation, but Rimworld doesn't currently support a "mangled" condition for body parts, only impaired and completely severed/destroyed.

QuoteAlso shouldnt high caliber weapons destroy walls and mechs? A .50cal shreds through concrete and up armored vehicles. I don't know what you mean by the internal organs thing rather than the torso? Can you clarify? Soldiers are taught to protect internal organs it was much more common to see gunshot wounds in arms and legs rather than the torso. Thats why your taught to face plates down range all your protection is there the issue comes from if your shooting back your arms and weapon are blocking your torso and your typically nuts to dirt. The biggest thing I would love to see in this game is a prone and crouching stance that increases accuracy makes you harder to hit and reduces movement speed dramatically. Standing would also decrease accuracy pretty dramatically good look hitting a target at 100+ meters standing while its moving. Squad formations would be awesome and bounding techniques but I'm not an experienced programmer (i just dabble) and that would probably be incredibly hard.

Regarding walls, high-powered rounds will punch a hole through a wall but they won't knock it down. You'd need to fire hundreds of (non-explosive) rounds into a section of wall to do any appreciable damage to it. Though I might have a look at implementing wall penetration when I get some more free time.

Pawns in Rimworld have a body part called "torso" that acts just like limbs, organs, etc. and can be hit and destroyed. Whenever the game determines that the torso was hit it makes a random roll to see if a subpart (heart, kidneys, ...) was hit. If a subpart is hit damage is done to it and the torso, otherwise only the torso takes damage. In vanilla the chance to hit the heart for example was a mere 1.5% so the majority of torso hits would actually miss all the organs and only hit the "torso" body part. I changed it so now the majority of torso hits will also damage an organ.

dustysniper

QuoteI was under the impression shotguns use 00 buckshot for a combat load. Though I'm not too knowledgeable on the topic of shotguns.

From my personal experience when we were fighting in urban environments we used slugs, it can take out a door handle and a person without hitting civilians with the spread. But every unit in the military has a different SOP.

QuoteNot sure what your question is. The fragmentation system I implemented because as you said, fragments can scatter much further than the actual explosion. So I created a system that could model this effect more accurately than the vanilla explosions.

Wasnt really a questions just a statement I guess. Most people don't understand what HE explosives are or the fact that the explosions and fragments are the least dangerous parts. Most explosives blow up in a V shape from impact. But I like your system. Thanks for the fast response this is a awesome mod and I am a fanboy. I do understand why a M-24 does more damage. I suppose the logic is if he is taking the time to aim through a scope the shooter is more likely to hit vital organs?

LustrousWolf

@NoImageAvailable I have tested CR with all those mods and it seems to work just fine so it is ok :)

NihilRex

Is it at all possible to make Mortars more realistically accurate?

At no point should Circular Error Probability exceed burst radius, and with the sheer amount of aiming time spent, the aiming error should be rather small as well.

Max accuracy should be at 50% of maximum range, with worst accuracy trending towards the minimum range limit.  The accuracy degradation from midrange to max range should occur at about half the rate as the degredation that occurs between midrange and minimum range.

As a former 0341 Infantry Mortarman, the mortars in this game make me very sad.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: NihilRex on April 10, 2015, 02:29:45 PM
Is it at all possible to make Mortars more realistically accurate?

At no point should Circular Error Probability exceed burst radius, and with the sheer amount of aiming time spent, the aiming error should be rather small as well.

Max accuracy should be at 50% of maximum range, with worst accuracy trending towards the minimum range limit.  The accuracy degradation from midrange to max range should occur at about half the rate as the degredation that occurs between midrange and minimum range.

As a former 0341 Infantry Mortarman, the mortars in this game make me very sad.

Changing the way aiming works is pretty trivial, it mostly comes down to creating a mathematical algorithm to calculate the accuracy at any given range (and not kill your CPU in the process). Current calculations are based on a CEP of 50m and a scale of 1 game cell = 5m. Using the game's ForcedMissRadius (works by generating a random angle and a number between 0 and ForcedMissRadius and applying the resulting vector to the original target you get the cell the mortar will actually shoot at) I set it to 20 so half the rounds should land within 10 cells.

So going with your model and assuming the Rimworld mortar is 120mm with a max range of 6-7km (?) that would put maximum range at 1400 and maximum accuracy at 700 game cells. Now I never operated a mortar so I don't really know what kind of accuracy you can expect at that range and at minimum range (40 cells) but provided some accurate data on the start and end points it should be simple to make the accuracy scale linearly with target distance. Also, what exactly do you mean by burst radius?

On that note, depending on how accurate the game's ForcedMissRadius models CEP that can be adjusted too. I'd love to have some input from an actual expert on military matters when it comes to implementing these things ingame, rather than having to rely on stuff I read on the Internet.

Edit: I've been considering changing the scale of cells to meter from 1 cell = 5m down to 1 cell = 7.5m at least for the long range weapons (=everything except SMGs, pistols and shotguns) so range would be bit more balanced in relation to the game's map size (maximum is 400x400 cells). Anyone have thoughts on that?

dustysniper

Mortars are alot more accurate. But what he is failing to say is they also have a fdc to calculate deflection and elevation and save firing point data and a FO to walk your rounds in and a 3 to 4 man team preppin rounds and shifting. if you know a Mortar lands in a spot on a certain deflecton and elevation you can save it for later use.  The 120mm mortar has a 7200m firing range (depending on round type and charge) with a 70m kill radius or blast radius or burst radius. If that's what is being used in the game. My biggest pet peeve is that mortar rounds are termed artillety shells in game they are vastly different. Artillery is designed for force on force front line wars and are direct fire. Mortars are smooth bored 360 indirect fire weapons, round designs are different. a veteran mortar team can have rounds in the air in 45 seconds on a 360 swivel while atillery can take upward of 5 plus minutes to swivel Because of weight. Fm 3-22.90 covers mortars.