[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonist51

Not sure if it's caused by this mod, but why does the vast majority of enemies have melee weapons? They are like target practice for me. Makes the game way too easy.

Jan2607

Since I started RimWorld today, I got a debug screen in the main menu. The same screen appears, if I use the "Replace all trade ships" feature.

Some of the trade ships have nothing to sell and no money so I can't buy anything.

I don't know, why this happens now. I have some other mods installed, but when I played yesterday there was nothing wrong with it.
What can I do?

[attachment deleted due to age]

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Colonist51 on May 26, 2015, 10:33:52 AM
Not sure if it's caused by this mod, but why does the vast majority of enemies have melee weapons? They are like target practice for me. Makes the game way too easy.

The mod shouldn't really affect the prevalence of melee weapons. I haven't played vanilla combat since A8 though so I don't really have any frame of reference for this one.

Quote from: Jan2607 on May 26, 2015, 03:59:18 PM
Since I started RimWorld today, I got a debug screen in the main menu. The same screen appears, if I use the "Replace all trade ships" feature.

Some of the trade ships have nothing to sell and no money so I can't buy anything.

I don't know, why this happens now. I have some other mods installed, but when I played yesterday there was nothing wrong with it.
What can I do?

The error wall of text seems like a dependency issue, did you make sure to install the latest version of the main module? The other error looks more like something another mod is causing.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Jan2607

Okay, I deactivated the CR Defence mod. The CR mod was version 1.0, that's why it was incompatible with the CR defence mod.
Can I delete the old version and install the new one without starting a new colony?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Jan2607 on May 27, 2015, 07:02:07 AM
Can I delete the old version and install the new one without starting a new colony?

Should be fine.

Colonist51

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 26, 2015, 06:22:56 PM
The mod shouldn't really affect the prevalence of melee weapons. I haven't played vanilla combat since A8 though so I don't really have any frame of reference for this one.

Ok, I see. I got another question, is the core mod required to run Combat Realism Defence and Combat Realism for Project Armory (light)? Or can I run them as standalones? In this case would they have vanilla values?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Colonist51 on May 27, 2015, 09:40:12 AM
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 26, 2015, 06:22:56 PM

Ok, I see. I got another question, is the core mod required to run Combat Realism Defence and Combat Realism for Project Armory (light)? Or can I run them as standalones? In this case would they have vanilla values?

Core module is required as is said in the installation instructions.

Colonist51

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 27, 2015, 10:03:22 AMCore module is required as is said in the installation instructions.

I must have missed that, my bad. Thanks for clarifying.

delraith

I think this is a problem. Miniguns, and thusly centipedes are near impossible to stop without crazy kill boxes.

The mod description states that walls are supposed to be near impervious to bullets. Yet one burst from a single centipede can blow through 2 lines of embrasure or 3 lines of stone walls and still one shot most any colonist (haven't tried someone in full power armor). Is this working as intended?

Very nice mod otherwise, I just have to reload before any centipedes come as they are rather unstoppable. Scythers seem to be perfectly difficult, same with other centipedes and raids. Miniguns are a little crazy though.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: delraith on May 30, 2015, 01:20:53 AM
Since walls are supposed to be impervious to bullets in this, why do centipedes absolutely obliterate everything with their gattling guns? Embrasures or walls do nothing to prevent a centipede from one shotting pretty much any colonist. Is this working as intended?

Could you be more specific? If the miniguns are actually destroying the walls it is not working as intended. If they are simply shooting the guy standing behind an embrasure it is normal. IIRC embrasures have a block chance of 95%, meaning out of the 600 bullets a minigun fires per burst, over 30 will still get through on average.

AllenWL

I've seen the hit rate get as low as 1%, though that's still about 6 shots out of 600.

Something that should be noted is, if there is a mod that adds it's own walls/embrasures/etc, the structures added by the mod seem to be very weak to bullets.
For example, if you get combat realism and superior crafting, you get two walls. The combat realism wall can take a lot of punishment from bullets and other projectiles, but the superior crafting wall can easy be taken out by bullets or the fragments from a mortar shell.

Nimrod

Quote from: AllenWL on May 30, 2015, 11:26:54 PM
I've seen the hit rate get as low as 1%, though that's still about 6 shots out of 600.

Something that should be noted is, if there is a mod that adds it's own walls/embrasures/etc, the structures added by the mod seem to be very weak to bullets.
For example, if you get combat realism and superior crafting, you get two walls. The combat realism wall can take a lot of punishment from bullets and other projectiles, but the superior crafting wall can easy be taken out by bullets or the fragments from a mortar shell.

Thats because of the different/not set <damageMultipliers> in the buildings defs, have a look for yourself ;)

cheers

Facepunch

Im getting issues with the mod, Ive disabled all others, leaving only CR enabled, and it gives me a blackscreen and the console log.
SC of log below

[attachment deleted due to age]

delraith

Quote from: AllenWL on May 30, 2015, 11:26:54 PM

Yep, that's what it is. You beat me to posting it =o

And apparently charge rifles go through centipedes like they are made of butter. Did not have any of those guns till now.

My favorite part of this mod has got to be the colonist damage changes. Organs being the most vulnerable makes loads of sense. Shrapnel and explosion changes are good too.

A few critiques:
- I am not sure if this is a vanilla element or not, but a colonist having a shattered rib appears to be non-penalizing in any way.
- Shotguns are not AoE weapons in real life and really can't feasibly hit more than 1 human and do much of any damage. Your usual 12ga buckshot still has a spread of <1 foot when fired at 20 yards. Any buckshot fired at a range where spread is great enough to hit more than 1 person has already lost a lot of its force (it can have a hard time piercing clothing).
- Pistols seem kinda useless to me.
- A mob of mad squirrels is impossible to escape from. I am doubtful running from squirrels would be that hard irl.

I think I can see why Tynan set the initial values for most of his weapons, I find it a little more difficult to manage the increased range on most of the rifles; battlefields can be very large. It seems like the game's obstacles don't get properly accounted for at such ranges.

Don't let me fool you! I really enjoy the mod. :)

I would love to see a good way to integrate a mod like this one with advanced crafting.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Facepunch on May 31, 2015, 09:36:37 PM
Im getting issues with the mod, Ive disabled all others, leaving only CR enabled, and it gives me a blackscreen and the console log.
SC of log below

You need to start a new colony for this mod to work.

Quote from: delraith on May 31, 2015, 10:10:31 PM
A few critiques:
- I am not sure if this is a vanilla element or not, but a colonist having a shattered rib appears to be non-penalizing in any way.
- Shotguns are not AoE weapons in real life and really can't feasibly hit more than 1 human and do much of any damage. Your usual 12ga buckshot still has a spread of <1 foot when fired at 20 yards. Any buckshot fired at a range where spread is great enough to hit more than 1 person has already lost a lot of its force (it can have a hard time piercing clothing).
- Pistols seem kinda useless to me.
- A mob of mad squirrels is impossible to escape from. I am doubtful running from squirrels would be that hard irl.

- I think it causes some minor pain? But yeah, it's a vanilla thing.
- True, 00 does have some pretty tight patterns, but I think at 35m (which is where I set the shotgun max range) a 1m spread isn't too far out there and at that point you could feasibly hit a guy standing right next to the target. Regarding damage, individual pellets are already pretty weak. You need to be in close and hit with most of them for a one hit kill or double tap at long range which I think is reasonable as it is.
- Pistols do have their uses when you don't have anything better and the enemy charges you in melee. Later on their low weight makes them useful on that guy with two peg legs whom you don't want to weigh down with a machine gun. Sure, overall they're a niche weapon and not really competitive against assault rifles and the like but they're not really supposed to be either.
- I dunno, I've seen some pretty nasty squirrels back in my day. (In seriousness, that's just a vanilla thing, although having your shooter weighed down by heavy weapons might contribute.)