[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AseaHeru

Or let groups of pawns share rounds, so a pawn with an AR has some rounds for the groups LMG or similar.

25wes25

Allen, what I more so meant was that if the raiders are affected by ammo, I would prefer that they only switch to Melee and charge if they're either unable to scavenge ammo and it's pretty obvious from their perspective that they could win.

For example the last 10 raiders exhaust the majority of their ammo and decide to charge in with Melee because all the colonies turrets in sight were destroyed and there were only a handful of colonists left alive. I.e. The Pirates charge if they think they can win otherwise if it's a lengthy and deadly gunfight then they eventually just bail.

jackarbiter

Quote from: 25wes25 on April 22, 2016, 11:24:44 PM
Allen, what I more so meant was that if the raiders are affected by ammo, I would prefer that they only switch to Melee and charge if they're either unable to scavenge ammo and it's pretty obvious from their perspective that they could win.

For example the last 10 raiders exhaust the majority of their ammo and decide to charge in with Melee because all the colonies turrets in sight were destroyed and there were only a handful of colonists left alive. I.e. The Pirates charge if they think they can win otherwise if it's a lengthy and deadly gunfight then they eventually just bail.

I don't know much about the AI routines in this game (I've looked through source code but not AI source code), but it generally takes multiple generations of a AAA game to get to the point that the AI is this calculating (I've some experience with Fallout 4 and NPCs aren't at this point yet). Most games it's a distance check to the nearest enemy, then they switch to melee.

Currently (from experience) the entire AI calculation for attacks is "we've lost 1/3 (or whaver percentage) of our peeps, bail." Which is a simple count of pawns alive vs. pawns that attacked, checked (probably) only on attacker pawn death.

But I agree, that is an optimal scenario, and I'd like to see it available at some point. I don't think it'd be impossibly complicated, but perhaps beyond the scope of the next release of this mod.
Arbitration - One-folder modpack, marathon overhaul, working vehicles

25wes25

Quote from: jackarbiter on April 22, 2016, 11:49:48 PM
I don't know much about the AI routines in this game (I've looked through source code but not AI source code), but it generally takes multiple generations of a AAA game to get to the point that the AI is this calculating (I've some experience with Fallout 4 and NPCs aren't at this point yet). Most games it's a distance check to the nearest enemy, then they switch to melee.

Currently (from experience) the entire AI calculation for attacks is "we've lost 1/3 (or whaver percentage) of our peeps, bail." Which is a simple count of pawns alive vs. pawns that attacked, checked (probably) only on attacker pawn death.

But I agree, that is an optimal scenario, and I'd like to see it available at some point. I don't think it'd be impossibly complicated, but perhaps beyond the scope of the next release of this mod.
AI is completely different for every game, in Fallout AI checks distance because AI have unlimited ammo. I haven't seen the AI code for Rimworld either but obviously there's no ammo in the base game so we'd probably have to have either modding tools, long ass work arounds, or the implementation of hesitant AI into the base game.

jackarbiter

Quote from: 25wes25 on April 23, 2016, 12:09:49 AMwe'd probably have to have either modding tools, long ass work arounds, or the implementation of hesitant AI into the base game.

That's all I was saying, when I went back to edit I took another look at your post and realized you were just talking theoreticals ("I was just wondering") and I probably shouldn't have posted since what I wrote probably came across as "you're wrong on the Internet." Was just thinking out loud that this implementation of CR will probably not involve the level of AI that we'd all prefer since it is so complicated just on a base level compared to anything that has come before it.

porcupine

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on April 21, 2016, 04:56:53 PM
Quick progress update, all the coding work is done now and except for a few minor issues everything runs more or less smoothly now. Now all that's left is to put all the pieces into the actual game and create the necessary XML files for everything, a good portion of that was done today. Depending on how fast fluffy can finish up his work on the loadout manager I'll hopefully be able to put out a full or pre-release in time for the weekend.

Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet? :D

AllenWL

For me, it's the weekend right now, so I'm trying really hard not to check the computer every hour. I only succeeded every other hour :P
Though a question regarding the HE ammo.
If the bullet hits a body part and explodes, will that do any damage to surrounding body parts? Like, will a HE bullet hitting a nose cause the entire head to get blasted off, or just the nose?

jackarbiter

Quote from: AllenWL on April 23, 2016, 01:29:30 AM
I'm trying really hard not to check the computer every hour. I only succeeded every other hour :P

You, sir, are the embodiment of restraint. So far I'm only succeeding in posting every other hour.

25wes25

Quote from: jackarbiter on April 23, 2016, 01:02:44 AM
That's all I was saying, when I went back to edit I took another look at your post and realized you were just talking theoreticals ("I was just wondering") and I probably shouldn't have posted since what I wrote probably came across as "you're wrong on the Internet." Was just thinking out loud that this implementation of CR will probably not involve the level of AI that we'd all prefer since it is so complicated just on a base level compared to anything that has come before it.
Hah, no sweat man. Discussion is always a good thing, without it nothing gets accomplished.  :)

Frug

Goldenpotatoes

I keep looking at the github hoping to see a new commit to the pull request and everytime it's always the same thing.

i cri evry time

porcupine

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on April 23, 2016, 05:50:00 PM
I keep looking at the github hoping to see a new commit to the pull request and everytime it's always the same thing.

i cri evry time

I think we might have scared NoImageAvailable away :\

AllenWL

Considering how he was almost posting once a day before, possibly.

Frug

Quote from: AllenWL on April 23, 2016, 10:18:45 PM
Considering how he was almost posting once a day before, possibly.
Ye, I cri ;-; PLS, I NEED SUMMA DAT REALISM

NoImageAvailable

Sorry about the delay guys, sudden illness has been limiting the amount of time I've been able to spend at a computer so productivity has been low.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."