Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

Quote from: Boboid on August 16, 2018, 11:00:57 PM
Of course I don't know why you would designate a minimum range for a direct-fire weapon if it's still capable of firing within said range. You just end up at the same problem as before if said minimum range serves no purpose.
Interesting though.

Many times it isn't something done on purpose.
Maybe the builder doesn't have access to the right materials to give the AI/ES proper collateral fire filters or FF ID.
Maybe the builder isn't a programmer and has to rely on pre-made software components found in the field, and the software is flawed or corrupted.(Im an amateur game programmer and have on many occasions forgotten to include such secondary ff/ collateral filters)
The mini-turret technically has the same problem it just doesn't have a minimum range that makes the problem more visible.

5thHorseman

Just had a poor NB pawn get downed by a raider and drug off the map. I now have no colonists but did not get the "game over" message.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

mndfreeze

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 16, 2018, 11:23:17 PM
Just had a poor NB pawn get downed by a raider and drug off the map. I now have no colonists but did not get the "game over" message.

It sometimes takes a little bit for it to pop up.  Stick your game on 3x speed and wait for a day to pass and I bet it will pop.  I usually wait a few days at max speed just in case I get another sudden join.

Yoshida Keiji

I have a problem with the "Fabrication bench" which requires 2 Advanced Components.
[/u]

Advanced Components can only be crafted at the Fabrication bench, but without said material there's no way I can craft the needed bench to produce the item of the requiring material...  :P :P :P

This is because I'm playing dual colony, and if I were playing triple colony due to starting in a flat map...that would make it even worst.

The only way a player gets Advanced Components without buying from traders is after destroying Crashed Ship Parts.

Since I'm playing with two simultaneous colonies...all CSP that landed, went directly to my First Colony only. So now my Second Colony cannot build a Fabrication bench...

Sure... I can just throw some Advanced Components from my first colony to second colony through a Transport Pod... but that would be bad gaming...

Basically, remove the requirement of a material that cannot be obtained until the bench itself is built...

...seriously...

5thHorseman

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 17, 2018, 01:14:22 AM
Advanced Components can only be crafted at the Fabrication bench
... buying from traders ...
... destroying Crashed Ship Parts ...
You state that they can only be made at the bench, and then state 2 additional ways to get them.

... two simultaneous colonies ...
The game tells you that it's not designed to work with multiple colonies and suggests you only use one.

QuoteI can just throw some Advanced Components from my first colony to second colony through a Transport Pod... but that would be bad gaming...
I don't know why that's bad gaming. Sounds like a perfectly reasonable solution to me. Another is to send a caravan between them.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

zizard

Funny story! In my latest file I painstakingly bought two advanced components from two separate traders. Soon after I constructed the fabrication bench, someone felt sorry for me and gifted two advanced components.

RawCode

gating fabrication behind stuff produced by fabrication is kind of neh.

game should provide alternative ineffective, costly and slow but guaranteed way to get all "progress tokens".

Waiting for caravan or trader (without zero ways to effect such event) and praying RNGesus is not okay.

Veneke

Quote from: RawCode on August 17, 2018, 03:37:38 AM
Waiting for caravan or trader (without zero ways to effect such event) and praying RNGesus is not okay.

You can call an exotic goods trader from an ally, which will often have 1 - 3 advanced components. RNGesus is needed for many things in Rimworld, but not the fab bench.

East

Once you know how you can get adv component in the game, you can not say this is an RNG. If there is always a way to get there and there is a way to get at least 5 or more, it is not an RNG. I think that's just a lack of knowledge about the game.

1. Please purchase in the town near. There is always there.
2.Please purchase in exotic caravan.
3.Mechanoid ships always come out.
4.It also comes from ancient threats.
5.orbital trader

It was wrong to blame the RNG while you did not get it. It has a chance to get enough. It's impossible not to get it.

Yoshida Keiji

The point here is that there is lack of "Autonomy", your story shouldn't have to rely on "Others". It's a life philosophy, you must be able to handle yourself without external help.

Ser Kitteh

You can destroy psychic ship chunks to get them. That is not 'relying' on others. Why is this such an issue?

erdrik

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 17, 2018, 06:55:00 AM
The point here is that there is lack of "Autonomy", your story shouldn't have to rely on "Others". It's a life philosophy, you must be able to handle yourself without external help.

Eh... I kinda disagree.
There does not exist a means to live life in a society without relying on someone else in some way.
In the game and in real life.

Also practically everything in the game strongly suggests it is balanced around relying on others.
The skill decay, and starting skills randomizer is the biggest evidence to this. Ive never run into a pawn that was capable of doing everything needed to thrive effectively. It is undeniable that accepting help from and interacting with others provides a huge advantage. The "go it alone" mode is called Naked Brutality for a reason.

Namsan

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 17, 2018, 01:14:22 AM

I have a problem with the "Fabrication bench" which requires 2 Advanced Components.

I think it's okay because Fabrication bench is able to make advanced components.
You need some advanced things when you want workbench that makes advanced things.
Hello

Nynzal

I think it is perfectly fine and often a great mechanic, that some stuff requires resources you dont have yet and are part of the workchain to get it.
It adds depth and difficulty. Btw, autonomy is nothing you can have easily and is something to aim for as an ultimate goal. Why should there be any traders if the colony is perfectly autonomous?

I was quite surprised that this complaint came from somebody who labels simplyfication as negative
Winter is coming

RawCode

Why we ever need to produce anything in colony if we have "traders"?

As long as game force player to pray RNGesus just to progress, this is not good game.
I will remind about dwarf fortress that allows player to ASK caravan for specific things and caravan will bring that specific things next cycle.
No randomness involed, you always get caravan next spring with things you asked.

Current implementation of game:

1) Gate your from progression for no good reason
2) Force you to wait for event that may happen or not
3) Provide no alternative route

Actually i find entire "caravan and travel" stuff and design decisions related to it ("things" that everyone able to produce in infinite amounts, but you can't) unfun.
Latest changes not about "how to enjoy vanilla" it's about "how to modout things you hate".