Why loosing liver = instant death?

Started by Adamiks, June 05, 2015, 11:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamiks

Loosing organs like liver, stomach shouldn't be so dangerous. Loosing organs should result in very very intense bleeding not death. In real life even with bullet in the heart you are still conscious for like 7sec! I think that player should have a little time to transplant a new organ. I needed to reload 3 times because my colonist died from shoot in the liver 3 times!

And modding question:
Do i can make it without dll's? I don't think so but i always can be wrong.

NoImageAvailable

There's a lot of blood going through the liver, if it were to be destroyed, you'd bleed out before you could ever reach the hospital. And that is really all that is relevant for gameplay, can the colonist get a transplant before dying?
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Adamiks

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on June 05, 2015, 12:39:56 PM
There's a lot of blood going through the liver, if it were to be destroyed, you'd bleed out before you could ever reach the hospital. And that is really all that is relevant for gameplay, can the colonist get a transplant before dying?

Yea i know this is why:
1. Colonist without liver should bleed out very fast.
2. I wrote this suggestion - this suggestion is about transplanting organs before dying.

Shinzy

I guess you could say...

..you can't liver without one

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Shinzy on June 05, 2015, 12:48:50 PM
I guess you could say...

You sir just won the internet.  +1 Cookie

Play2Jens

Quote from: Shinzy on June 05, 2015, 12:48:50 PM
I guess you could say...

Haha Shinzy I love you...

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Adamiks on June 05, 2015, 12:43:22 PM
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on June 05, 2015, 12:39:56 PM

Yea i know this is why:
1. Colonist without liver should bleed out very fast.
2. I wrote this suggestion - this suggestion is about transplanting organs before dying.

And then the guy bleeds out within seconds long before you have any chance of transplanting any organs anyway, so the end result is the same. Might as well just cut to the point and not waste development time on something so pointless.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Vas

I don't like how you can't harvest all.  Why not make some profit off your dead guy?  Just a harvest all button to cut him from belly to throat and rip every organ out all at once.  :P  I usually go left lung, left kidney, and have to choose one final organ to remove costing me 3 medical things which is stupid when I'm really just killing the guy.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Voisti

It makes sense to not have instant death. Then there would actually be a need to harvest organs or buy them. I've not once done a transplant involving internal organs. And if bleeding out when shot in the liver doesn't take long, could colonists also be field medics? It's logical, and with the new addition to colonists carrying a meal, it seems like doctors could carry 1 or 2 meds for field emergencies.
"Puns give double the meaning to life."

Adamiks

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on June 05, 2015, 03:07:54 PM
And then the guy bleeds out within seconds long before you have any chance of transplanting any organs anyway, so the end result is the same. Might as well just cut to the point and not waste development time on something so pointless.

Yeah, seconds, but you don't hear about field medics and bloodbags? Without 2 legs you also bleed out very fast, but there are people that survived this. Of course liver is inside but this is 5000 year ;D

keylocke

what i'd like to see is mortal kombat level of melee fatality.

it's like you're slashing with a longsword and suddenly poof! liver harvest! lel.

Vas

Hell, even if you rip someone's heart right out of their chest, they don't die instantly, they live long enough to see you holding their heart, totally stunned, then fall over, unconscious for a few minutes before they really are permanently dead.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Adamiks

Quote from: Vas on June 07, 2015, 12:41:33 PM
Hell, even if you rip someone's heart right out of their chest, they don't die instantly, they live long enough to see you holding their heart, totally stunned, then fall over, unconscious for a few minutes before they really are permanently dead.

Yea. After losing heart you're conscious for 7 seconds. I don't remember how long you can survive without heart.

Vas

Quote from: Adamiks on June 07, 2015, 05:05:34 PMYea. After losing heart you're conscious for 7 seconds. I don't remember how long you can survive without heart.

However long your brain can go without oxygen before permanent damage, and even then, you can continue to live for a bit longer, till the damage destroys the brain completely, or at least, the part of the brain that keeps the body working.  You'll likely lose all your memories, abilities, speech, functions, and all that long before you become a vegetable, after the vegetable state, you are dead.

Scientifically, this is when you are dead.  People claim to be dead during a heart attack or when their heart stops, but this is not death, it's simply near death.  So long as the brain still functions, you are not dead.

There are even machines that can force the body to keep going even if the brain is totally dead.  It basically forces some of the vitals like the heart and lungs to keep pumping or replaces those organs to keep the other organs alive while you harvest everything that you can, which is usually, every organ that wasn't damaged by whatever killed you.

Adamiks

Quote from: Vas on June 08, 2015, 11:34:29 PM
Quote from: Adamiks on June 07, 2015, 05:05:34 PMYea. After losing heart you're conscious for 7 seconds. I don't remember how long you can survive without heart.

However long your brain can go without oxygen before permanent damage, and even then, you can continue to live for a bit longer, till the damage destroys the brain completely, or at least, the part of the brain that keeps the body working.  You'll likely lose all your memories, abilities, speech, functions, and all that long before you become a vegetable, after the vegetable state, you are dead.

Scientifically, this is when you are dead.  People claim to be dead during a heart attack or when their heart stops, but this is not death, it's simply near death.  So long as the brain still functions, you are not dead.

There are even machines that can force the body to keep going even if the brain is totally dead.  It basically forces some of the vitals like the heart and lungs to keep pumping or replaces those organs to keep the other organs alive while you harvest everything that you can, which is usually, every organ that wasn't damaged by whatever killed you.

Yep, so true. I = brain. All "me" is in "my" brain (or in "me", because "me" is in the brain). No place for soul, sorry! ;D