Latest update ffor A16!!!!!!!

Started by wafflep90, December 01, 2016, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

To be honest, never played the first xcom...but enemy within anyway, losing a well leveled person was a tragedy.

This is even more so with hidden potential, randomized traits, and other options turned on. Certain people just aren't replaceable...

And certainly in rimworld, its the same...which is why I think doing an attack, while beneficial. will be kind of terrifying.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Alenerel

I think that combat in this game is "strangely" placed. A single battle can screw up your entire game and I think that this shouldnt be entirely like this since the game depends on many other things.

Im having an idea right now. Instead of pawns dying so easily, make them that take longer to recover from serious injuries. This way you could have it, let say, 15 days in bed, it would be a huge hit, but you wouldnt be losing him. He also could get of the bed but would make him very inefficient and make his wounds to get worse. I say get off the bed in case of emergency, ofc.

mumblemumble

I kinda agree, currently theres a fine line between "eh, ill be fine tommarow" and "OH GOD FUCK MY ARM IS GONE!!!"

Really, I think several extremities should get much more health, but face severe injuries. Why cant someone break their leg, but keep it attatched, but need to be bedridden as the bone heals? Why cant a severe arm laceration leave the arm totally useless and damaged for a week, but not ripped off? And why are torsos something which get "destroyed"? Shouldn't a torso have a pretty high health, but just bleed more and more?

Yes...health in rimworld is slightly screwy, which isn't helped that decapitating a patient counts as a MINOR failure =)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Thyme

Well, RimWorld is a game, it can hardly be 100% realistic? I like how it has so many different aspects covered, but mostly does it in a shallow way (not sure about wording, non native here ;)). E.g. the firefights: There are different weapons, stats for the pawns, range-based accuracy, cover, ... but it doesn't go to deep and has ammo or jams. Making everything hyperrealistic would probably break the game. I think Tynan got it well balanced in that terms.

PS: If you want it hyperrealistic, there's this game, you know, it's called real life! :D
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

mumblemumble

Oh trust me, I understand the idea of realism being impossible on a 1 to 1 scale, but decapitating one while screwing on a pegleg is a bit much.

-----

Ramsis

I love all the stuff I'm seeing in this thread and can't wait to play A16 :D
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Lightzy

Quote from: Thyme on December 04, 2016, 02:57:04 AM
Well, RimWorld is a game, it can hardly be 100% realistic? I like how it has so many different aspects covered, but mostly does it in a shallow way (not sure about wording, non native here ;)). E.g. the firefights: There are different weapons, stats for the pawns, range-based accuracy, cover, ... but it doesn't go to deep and has ammo or jams. Making everything hyperrealistic would probably break the game. I think Tynan got it well balanced in that terms.

PS: If you want it hyperrealistic, there's this game, you know, it's called real life! :D

That's a silly argument.

Also, ammo would make the game a million times better.
It will put melee combat slightly more in balance with ranged combat as a valid option, and sometimes even a necessary one

mumblemumble

Heh, honestly, combat realism mod (?) has ammo, but did the opposite, but guns in that, and gun play are VERY different.

Guns are more accurate, need reloading, do more damage, and injuries are worse. Ontop of that, you can choose to take accurate, aimed shots, or just spray n pray.

I also cannot wait for a16, and the possibilities, combined with that mod.

-----

Cpt. DuctTape

Going back to the original topic, one thing that I thought off, is the importance of landing sites after the update. In the previous versions, you would look for a biome, with a good temperature range, then bam, you land there.

However, with the next update, it might be a good idea to land next to settlements or tribes, because it wouldn't even take a day for the trading caravans to arrive, and in case you get attacked, you could easily call for reinforcements. Of course, there's the risk of backstabbing on both sides, but I'm pretty sure a lot of RimWorld players would enjoy that kind of stuff. :)

SKD_Dudu

Well after those images/teaser, transports pods, moving or creating another colony, too much possibilities and mods will certainly came in A16, this be be insane mates, i can't wait to play this update.
Dimitri Rascalov: "You know, if there is one thing that I have learned, it is that we must obey the rules of the game. We can pick the game, Niko Bellic. But we cannot change the rules."

Wanderer_joins

Isn't this pod launch system simply for orbital trade?

Isn't the map simply to explain waiting time for caravans from various factions?

Which is great since the trade system is kind of broken but i'm just trying to keep it real.

Bozobub

- Probably not.

- No, according to Tynan's teases.
Thanks, belgord!

Elixiar

If ranged combat needed a generalised ammo type and weapons had more niche uses. (Eg shotgun is the go to weapon for clustering enemies but low accuracies) then there would be more of a dependence on melee combat.

I remember playing a mod which used an ammo system for q gun emplacement and it worked really really well.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

keylocke

@OP : this is probably similar to how dwarf fortress does trading with caravans. except this is probably rimworld's version of trading with an orbiting merchant ship.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on December 04, 2016, 02:10:35 PM
Isn't this pod launch system simply for orbital trade?

Isn't the map simply to explain waiting time for caravans from various factions?

Which is great since the trade system is kind of broken but i'm just trying to keep it real.

This teaser image pretty clearly shows it's the player's caravan. There are two groups of colonists at the top, with the one on the right selected as the caravan is. There are options at the bottom to "split" and "settle". The blue house icon (of which there are no others, even on this other image) must be the colony, so this caravan of colonists has recently left the colony to go attack nearby pirates (don't know why two different colors; two kinds of pirates? new hostile human faction? or just red are mechanoids?).

Given that colonists can move around in caravans on the world map, and this exchange Spdskatr quoted earlier in this thread:

Quote from: PerunPerunowy on November 07, 2016, 11:30:47 AM
What if i want to start on Island?
How can i get to the Continent by Caravane Mode? Boats? Ships?
Quote from: Tynan on November 07, 2016, 03:49:27 PM
There will be a solution.

The same solution pirates use already!

...and that McAulay is "Entering transport pod." in the teaser this thread is about, it's safe to assume that we can use these transport pods to move colonists and items (see top left message) without having to cross the map, which you might have to do if you're on an island.

I was going to speculate, then I looked at what Tynan's said lately.

Twitter:
Quote from: @TynanSylvester
Transport pods go both ways :D

Reddit:
Quote from: /u/ieatcavemen
We HAVE to be getting vehicles in the new alpha, right?

With the implementation of caravans and traveling across the map Tynan must surely be planning to introduce (hopefully customisable) land vehicles.

If I'm going to exterminate civilise my Rimworld neighbours there's only so much genocide diplomacy I can accomplish with hand carts.
Quote from: /u/TynanSylvester
There are vehicles, but probably not the way you imagine!

So that thing is probably a vehicle, like the ship, that effectively teleports you somewhere else on the world map at the cost of fuel (and whatever research and materials you needed to have built 6 of each of those things in the first place).
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.