A16 Island start and Caravane Issue

Started by PerunPerunowy, November 07, 2016, 11:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerunPerunowy

What if i want to start on Island?
How can i get to the Continent by Caravane Mode? Boats? Ships?

Morak

Take a step.
Surface.
Take a breath.
Sink.
Take a step...

mumblemumble

I imagine this will be addressed in closed beta, with rafts, boats, or whatever. Though I have a feeling islands will be a bit harder to get to / from, meaning less raids...just a thought
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Scythah

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 07, 2016, 11:40:37 AM
I imagine this will be addressed in closed beta, with rafts, boats, or whatever. Though I have a feeling islands will be a bit harder to get to / from, meaning less raids...just a thought

That'd be interesting, there could be pros and cons of settling on an island then.

Numar

Did I miss something?

Honestly, we know nothing except two screenshots, stop getting your imaginations go wild. That will be better for your mental health when we get to know what all the fuss is actually about.

mumblemumble

If you carefully examine the map screenshot, it speaks of raids, caravans, travel, ect...I think this will be a rework of caravans. And since islands exist, this is a problem.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Canute

Why ?
It is your choise to land on an island.
So you never get any visitors or caravanes just spaceship trader, Mech/pirate raids with drop pods.

But maybe they introduce Airship caravans too.
Very big zeppelins who stops by your main entrance for a day. :-)

carbon

There's likely just a movement penalty associated with every world map hex. Those with water or mountains or jungle have higher penalties.

Worst case, traversing water requires a bit of research or a packed item (e.g. "inflatable raft").

Keep in mind, we're talking about crossing small waterways in a game about crossing star systems.
It's not going to be a big deal.

mumblemumble

actually, I was imagining building a PORT town, then building shipping vessels IN said towns for over seas

-----

Bozobub

Quote from: carbon on November 07, 2016, 01:39:05 PM
There's likely just a movement penalty associated with every world map hex. Those with water or mountains or jungle have higher penalties.

Worst case, traversing water requires a bit of research or a packed item (e.g. "inflatable raft").

Keep in mind, we're talking about crossing small waterways in a game about crossing star systems.
It's not going to be a big deal.
Many colonies start out in Rimworld with nothing better than pointy sticks, clubs, and a disturbing lack of food, clothing, shelter, heat, education, experience, health, and other essentials.  Crossing a waterway can be as hard as going to Alpha Centauri, if you don't have the proper equipment.

Consider the random backgrounds of Rimworld colonists; you think, say, a glitterworld orphan is likely to know how to make a raft, when confronted with the Mississippi, much less a ship for an inland sea or ocean..?

So yeah, research is one component, but I think it should actually be VERY difficult, at least for ocean travel.  Take one look at a fully-rigged Yankee Clipper to see why =) .  Try figuring out how to make (then use) a sextant on your own, as another example.
Thanks, belgord!

carbon

Oh, and there's also winter.

Just afix a sail and skates to your biggest muffalo and ride it across.  8)

Tynan

There will be a solution.

The same solution pirates use already!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Fluffe

carbon

So we have to steal the cursed treasure of Cortés?

ReZpawner

Quote from: Tynan on November 07, 2016, 03:49:27 PM
There will be a solution.

The same solution pirates use already!
If you keep promoting piracy on this page, sir, you may be banned.

Also, are we talking Y'arr-pirates or Somalian-pirates-we-pirates?