Alpha 13 - New events are gonna be hilarious

Started by RickyMartini, January 28, 2016, 12:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyMartini

To the people talking about pandering.

RimWorld features humans in a distant future. Just acknowledging that a tiny fraction of a human population can have a certain sexuality is called reality, not pandering.

It's the same as saying it's pro-military when a colonist has a ~1% chance of having a backstory as a soldier. Or pro-slavery when a colonist has a ~1% chance of having a child slave backstory. The only thing Tynan did was modeling human sexuality as we see it in our human nature.

Fluffy (l2032)

I'm not going to argue about gay couples/people in TV/movies (not that I agree with you, but I just don't have the energy for that particular discussion), but I'm not really sure how any of this applies to RimWorld. RimWorld is a colony simulator, and this update is going more into personal relationships. Whether you like it or not, gay people exist, and there's no reason to assume that colonists on the rimworld would be any different from people on earth, in the here and now. Hence, it makes sense that colonists have a chance to be gay/form gay relationships.

If the game for example forced at least on of your colonists to be gay on embark, that would be a different matter, but there's absolutely no reason to believe something like that will be the case.

TLDR; gays exist. Stop trying to bury your head in the sand, and deal with it. They're generally nice people.

jzero

you know what the funny thing is?. I came to this topic because i saw two pages and thought "woah! maybe i'll see some interesting conversation on alpha 13", but instead i see two pages of arguing about gay people in rimworld. I mean, it's really not that big of a deal guys, calm down.
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

killer117

agree with above. i thought yay more news about A13. instead i got a pic of tynan being funny and two pages of people acting like politicians.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

RickyMartini

I'm really interested to see how those underground hives are going to work and how prevalent they are going to be.

Imagine playing on a cold map and those bee hives suck out the temperature by connecting two entrances from outside to the inside.

Did ty mention that insect hives live in a second plane below the surface? because that would imply that different planes were implemented now.

killer117

god that would be a nightmare. i play mostly on ice sheet, and dear god if thats a thing he better add reinforced floors too.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Ramsis

Drop the discussion on homosexuality/killing based on sexuality or I'm going to start passing out temp-bans. Only warning.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Skade

Quote from: Skissor on January 29, 2016, 08:53:37 AM
I'm really interested to see how those underground hives are going to work and how prevalent they are going to be.

Imagine playing on a cold map and those bee hives suck out the temperature by connecting two entrances from outside to the inside.

Did ty mention that insect hives live in a second plane below the surface? because that would imply that different planes were implemented now.
Thank you for the nightmares Skissor xD

All in all the next update looks to be super promising, all the drama that can be had with Randy Random.... it's going to be glorious!

postm00v

Where are you getting this from? Is there a changelog I missed?

RickyMartini

Quote from: postm00v on January 29, 2016, 12:34:45 PM
Where are you getting this from? Is there a changelog I missed?

Yes. Two new blogs on the official ludeon website.

Quote from: killer117 on January 29, 2016, 08:55:44 AM
god that would be a nightmare. i play mostly on ice sheet, and dear god if thats a thing he better add reinforced floors too.

I'm also looking forwards to new floor elements. I mean, if those hives can make entrances from below the ground, what stops a modder from creating custom trapdoors? Custom tunnels or whatever just like in prison architect.

In fact, I'd like to see prisoners escaping with escape tunnels lmao. Would be hilarious.

Bob_Namg

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on January 28, 2016, 04:41:39 PM
While the PCness you describe is one of my pet peeves with modern media I didn't get that impression from Tynan's comment. It sounded more like pawns being gay is just a thing that can randomly happen same way a random wanderer joining your colony could be anything from a 16 year old war veteran to an 80 year old surgeon with amnesia. I don't see anything indicating pawns will be 50% gay (although I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case but for other reasons). So until A13 rolls around and/or there is some actual evidence supporting the theory Tynan suddenly decided the game where most colonies are sustained on human meat and leather needs to be more "family friendly" I'd say just keep calm and carry on.
I completely agree, I would REALLY like to see the level of procedural generation that makes it possible for say a horde of space-raiding-barbarian-SJW-cat-ear-glasses-touting-soccer-moms to besiege your colony riding giant bugs captured from a local hive.
That level of complexity is most desired by me and plenty of others.

EDIT: For some reason when I read my own comment it sounds to me like some sarcastic snarky comment against SJW barbarian pirate generation. I'm completely serious, I want crazy stuff like that to be possible.

Quote from: Produno on January 29, 2016, 05:06:36 AM
Any gays in my colony will be shot :). Im not homophobic but as already pointed out, why does everything have to have its token gay couple. I dont think Tynan intended it to be like that so this is more of a reply to others in this thread.

Theres plenty of stuff i used to watch on tv and now dont because of this. If its something people want to engage in then each to their own but why do they have to force everyone else to be a part of it.
Homosex was rampant in the days of Rome and is prevelant in futuristic literature about space empires based off Rome. It's not out of place at all for there to be colonies of gay clones either. Now that'd be freaky.
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France

TheDirge

People are complaining about homosexuality becoming a thing in rimworld?

well screw you, im going to make a gay-only colony and it's going to be the most fabulous one ever..with margarita's and..stuff

porcupine

Why is Rimworld sounding so much like the Sims according to this update?

I don't care whatsoever about the discussions of sexuality, right/wrong/etc. on that front, but this doesn't sound like a particularly interesting update, "relationships" is all I took out of that post, and that doesn't seem like it'll contribute appreciably to gameplay.

A Friend

Quote from: porcupine on January 30, 2016, 04:10:46 AM
Why is Rimworld sounding so much like the Sims according to this update?

I don't care whatsoever about the discussions of sexuality, right/wrong/etc. on that front, but this doesn't sound like a particularly interesting update, "relationships" is all I took out of that post, and that doesn't seem like it'll contribute appreciably to gameplay.

Well for me, it would help make pawns feel less like mindless robot haulers that uses beer as fuel. And hopefully remove a peeve of mine that includes your colonists not giving a damn about whatever happens to the people they've been living with for years.

Gameplay wise, colonist deaths would have a more severe impact on your colony's other residents assuming that they knew the guy. The longer they've been part of your colony, the more influence they would probably have.
And probably some mood boosts or debuffs when they interact with each other.
And random fisticuffs.

Edit 2: Oh and it introduces ground-based/caravan traders and prisoners escaping and fighting back. Wohoo.

Edit: But since nobody has played it yet, I may be wrong.

Though I'm in this for small scale story stuff among my colony so other people who plays the game differently may not see it as great and appreciate it as much as I do...
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

RickyMartini

Quote from: porcupine on January 30, 2016, 04:10:46 AM
"relationships" is all I took out of that post, and that doesn't seem like it'll contribute appreciably to gameplay.

Hmm sounds like you skipped 90% of the other words.