[MOD](Alpha 9) Horrors - Update 2

Started by Viceroy, February 11, 2015, 12:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popster99

sugestion if you can you should make it dark around the horrors so its even scarier

Dragoon

Quote from: popster99 on February 14, 2015, 05:08:01 AM
sugestion if you can you should make it dark around the horrors so its even scarier

Please don't do that. The darkness mod makes it dark enough, and those who don't use the darkness mod is because a dark screen can hurt your eyes.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Zandor

Well I have put in about 20 hours and so far still have not seen one horror.

Justin C

Quote from: Zandor on February 14, 2015, 07:01:49 AM
Well I have put in about 20 hours and so far still have not seen one horror.
Did you generate a new world after activating the mod?

Viceroy

Okay guys PROGRESS REPORT:

The horrors sometimes appearing alongside Mechanoids is a known bug and one that will very likely be solved in the very next release.

Having multiple colonies of Horrors is actually intended. I can lower the amount of generated colonies in the next release in case more of you guys don't like that part of it.

As to attacking in dark, they will at some point do this tactically yes. Not gonna project darkness though. They are still just creatures.

I'll pop out the next release as soon as the next creature is ready. I wanna spoil you guys with a few new additions.

Julia Ellie is assisting me with .dll stuff and boy is she a champ! Without her things would not be progressing at this pace AT-ALL. So a hearty thank you to her! Some of her stuff will have to wait for an A9 release though. But in the meantime I'll probably squeeze in the next release early in next week.

Kindest regards and merriment all-round to you guys.

@Zandor: As Justin C Stated did you generate a new world along with starting a new colony on it?
Dog goes moo!

Dragoon

Will you be making horror leather (as a resource since we butcher them :D)
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Viceroy

Yes I plan on doing that, in fact the actual animals already have leather. You can get them via debug for now (IIRC). But I will make them drop it as well.
Dog goes moo!

JuliaEllie

Quote from: Dragoon on February 14, 2015, 08:32:51 AM
Will you be making horror leather (as a resource since we butcher them :D)

You are cute.. In soviet Rimworld worms butcher you :D

Dragoon

Quote from: JuliaEllie on February 14, 2015, 09:12:56 AM
You are cute.. In soviet Rimworld worms butcher you :D

:D! haha.......I'm already dead aren't i?

Viceroy

Horrors no eye should behold...
Alpha 9 Update 1

Changes (I can remember):
* TerrorWorms are Carnivorous for now, just until I can get rid of a bug they have when it comes to eating survival meals.
* Added Spitters.
* Rebalanced Attack compositions.
* Lowered Visceral Health 20%
* Increased Terrorworm health 10%
* Gave some love to the sound effects.
* Redid faction naming.
* Worlds now generate only one Horror site.
* Small tweaks across the board.
* Info text tweaks.
* Rebalanced hit chances on all horrors. (Not final yet).

And here you can see a preview of the carnage wrought upon myself and my friends.

Notes: This release is a Def-only build. The assembly stuff (Nesting behaviour, Events, Special Creature Behaviour, etc. etc.) is yet to come to a playable point. So in the meantime I hope you guys enjoy this release.
Dog goes moo!

Epyk

Click picture for Epyk Pack!
Try Epokalypse!

Viceroy

Oh and Epyk would you let me know if anyone ever has some valid points on balancing?

I am starting to go from the prototype phase into a more balanced version. I did a preliminary run on this so far, but it still has some ways to go. I have had very little time for testing. And with all the things that are still coming I can't quite go balls deep on balancing yet.

Basically though the attacks should be consisting of 100's of worms 10's of viscerals and a few lone spitters. In the future naturally the worms will have less of an active role in attacking.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I changed the AI on them some, so they now won't necessarily attack you if you are too far away. Meaning the Horrors will essentially populate a section of your map until you eradicate them. This is in preparation of the nesting behaviour. From where they will periodically attack.
Dog goes moo!

Epyk

Quote from: Viceroy on February 20, 2015, 05:47:15 PM
Oh and Epyk would you let me know if anyone ever has some valid points on balancing?

I am starting to go from the prototype phase into a more balanced version. I did a preliminary run on this so far, but it still has some ways to go. I have had very little time for testing. And with all the things that are still coming I can't quite go balls deep on balancing yet.

Basically though the attacks should be consisting of 100's of worms 10's of viscerals and a few lone spitters. In the future naturally the worms will have less of an active role in attacking.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I changed the AI on them some, so they now won't necessarily attack you if you are too far away. Meaning the Horrors will essentially populate a section of your map until you eradicate them. This is in preparation of the nesting behaviour. From where they will periodically attack.

Sounds great!
I'll give you pointers if myself or users think the Horrors mod feels unbalanced.
Click picture for Epyk Pack!
Try Epokalypse!

Dragoon

wedgebert

It seems like something has changed since Alpha 8. I used to get a fairly consistent attack by two horror worms very early on, followed by their next attack having 30-40 worms (on challenging). Now I'm playing an A9 Seriously Challenging game, and having just fought off a pirate siege of 5 pirates (barely two months into the game), I'm being attacked by around 400 horror worms and two viscerals. It's hard to tell exactly since the game won't select more than 80 at a time. Just one frag grenade killed over 80.

The only major mod I'm running is the Cybernetic Storm mod (which I also had in A8). Other than that, it's a few minor stuff that was also included in the A8 Epyk mod pack.