Write an event!

Started by Listy, January 29, 2015, 10:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

I like adding beneficial events, since so many suggested ones here are "screw you" events, "gotcha!" events (which i despise), and some of the worst are the utterly random "instakill" ones (meteor anyone?) with no possible recourse except "be luckier."

With that being said, here's what i got:
1) Mexican Standoff raid - 2 enemy factions that are also enemies of each other throw a raid on you at the same time from opposite sides of the map - as a single event rather than a rarity on Randy Random.  Would encourage the player to try to tactically force engagement of the groups together.

2) Prisoner exchange or ransom - rather than suggesting it be an "always there" option like is commonly suggested in these forums, i'd like it to be an event that COULD pop up when you have 1 or more prisoners.  Their home faction calls you up and offers you another (hidden until they enter the map, like the calls for help) pawn in exchange, which would then join your faction when the prisoner leaves the map.  Or the faction could call you up and offer you silver (orbital drop) or goodwill (25 instead of the usual 15) for a specific prisoner.  As an added wrinkle, if the prisoner belongs to a faction you're friendly with (such as if you made peace since capturing them), they demand the prisoner for free, or lose goodwill/become enemies.

3) Psychic Soothe (reworked) - A soothing, psychic wave of energy sweeps over the land, mellowing moods, reducing aggression and causing people to become more trusting.  For the duration, there will be no raids or mad animals.  Colonists cannot go berserk (just gives dazed).  Prisoners have twice the normal percentage chance of being recruited during the soothe.  It would only last 1-3 days...fantastic for a respite or unexpected ease of mood or recruitment.

4) new raid type - Scouting.  A small force of ranged combatants shows up on the map and spreads out, individually assaulting the colony from as many points as possible with very small force.  If the raiding force breaks and flees, and any raider makes it off the map, the next raid from that faction will be increased by 33% (raids are based on colony wealth and have a point value).

5) new raid modifier for pirates/outlanders - slash n' burn.  A group of raiders shows up at least 50% armed with molotovs or incendiary launchers.  The fire portion of the raiders shoot many various places on the map and attempt to start large blazes from the moment they step onto the map.  This can be on top of any other raid type (like how regular pirate raids can be all melee, all ranged, or mixed with explosives).  If it lines up with a siege raid, the mortars will shoot incendiary shells!

6) Psychic Soothe ship - A part of a ship crashes nearby.  The ship contains a benevolent AI that improves the mood of all nearby pawns (doesn't scale up).  If the ship is left alone, it gives a fairly permanent +10 mood boost, BUT the envy it inspires in nearby factions will cause them to raid 50% more often, and your faction relationship will drop by 5 per day with all factions as they grow more and more jealous of what you have.  Colonists also no longer process negative emotions correctly while receiving the soothe, and all negative social impacts are doubled (insults really damage your calm, man).  You can deconstruct the ship for a fair quantity of plasteel and components, but the AI core is hardwired in, and can't survive the dismantling (deconstructing ends the mood bonus, relationship penalty, and raid frequency)

b0rsuk

Quote from: Listy on February 01, 2015, 11:16:35 AM
Quote from: milon on February 01, 2015, 09:38:34 AM
^ Yes!!!

I always wondered why we don't have a ruined city Biome, I mean structure generation is in game.
Farming would be hard. And Tynan would have to create a bunch of art for derelict vehicles, devices etc. And it would probably work better with Z levels.
But now we have the ability to remove floors.

Kegereneku

I remember Tynan saying he already had created a Ruins-Biome as soon as new biome appeared but didn't integrate it for ... reasons. Maybe balance. Don't quote me on that I haven't the slightest idea where I heard it.

That's a whole different topic in any case.
I think there must be a "Imagine a biome" topic somewhere.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Hayhorse

I would imagine a ruined city would be without mountains or hills and only be added with a z map so we can dig down and build up. The city its self would be organized in a grid pattern with various types of building, some even with their own power supply that still works and just needs either a new component (Solar generator and battery's) or fuel (The fueled generator(not even sure if that's a mod at this point))

b0rsuk

Local contamination
Similar to toxic fallout, but works indoors, much nastier and affects only a certain area. It would last about a month and during that time colonists would only be able to spend short time there before something nasty (damage, dropping unconscious etc).
That area of the base would be basically off-limits for a month, only accessible for quick-in quick-out trips. If it hits your laboratory, no researching for a month. If it's in your living quarters, you need to build temporary rooms or barracks. If it's the barn, or hydroponics room - new barn...

Currently there are no events which force players to move a part of their base somewhere else and this event is designed to change that.

b0rsuk

Race for loot!
It starts like drop pods. But it's something actually valuable, like normal/glitterworld medicine, a weapon, armor vest, helmet, sculpture, gold, a stash of beer, royal bed, installable turret, bionic (or simple) body part...

It could come wrapped in a christmas box so you don't know what's inside until you open it.

But THEN, another hostile faction arrives and sends a team to retrieve it! If they make it to the package before you, they take it and haul it away! If they succeed, not only you don't get the loot, but next time they raid you they will use that weapon/armor too (they will replace the worst weapon with this weapon). For goods like medicine, this means +1 raider.

(Infestation is a stick which can beat a player hiding under a mountain. This is a carrot, a reason to build in the open in a central positon.)

BattleFalcon

Colonist duels!

So we all know how colonists will occasionally have social fights when they really hate each other, but what if there was a chance (maybe around 40%?) that instead of a social fight triggering a duel would be triggered. The two colonists would go grab two of the same type of weapon and have a duel somewhere out in the open. The duel could be until one person gets hit, collapses or to the death, with varying chances of each (maybe 55% until one hit, 35% until collapse and 10% until death).

If there are enough colonists in the colony there could even be seconds who are chosen based on how much they like the colonist and how much the colonist likes them. They could try to negotiate peace, and based on social skill peace might or might not be reached.
Look for Cassandra "Cassie" Ryan ingame! That's me!

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Tynan on July 25, 2015, 06:50:38 PM
Quote from: b0rsuk on July 25, 2015, 06:44:26 PM
Great Migration
A HUGE herd of pack animals, like mufallos, passes through the map. It's an opportunity to get quite a lot of food if you have competent hunters with nothing else to do. They enter on one edge and exit on the opposite one.

I would love to see this event.
A real MASSIVE Herd that reaches from one side of the screen to the next taking a whole day or two to pass by. 
( performance could be an issue .. )
I love it - that's one of the oldest ideas I have written down in my ideas reservoir. From like day 1 of RimWorld brainstorming.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Havan_IronOak

Not an event so much as a feature...

I'd love to see a way of contacting the party that last raided me and offer to return their captured raider in exchange for some loot.  Perhaps No change in relations but still a reason to capture and release instead of just a faction boost (which doesn't help with the worst of the worst anyway)

kragnfroll

Instant obediance + bond between a colonist and a random tamed animals, and that new pet got a cut name.
"This turkey is the only one to truly understand me... He's my only friend here !"

Sale days : all colonists got a mood debuff for wearing normal and less clothes.

Mosquitos rampage : colonists outside slowly build up the "mosquito sting" condition, which inflict some pain and slow manipulation a bit.

Silent war : a colonist who hate another one start destroying one of his creation (art, furniture, weapon).

The charming prince : downed colonist saved by another one fall in love with his / her savior.

Mufflamingo

A man runs towards your colony and hands you an item and runs away.
A man runs towards you colony and asks if you have seen a man running this way.
You can choose to tell him (a) what direction he went. (b) lie and tell he went the other way. (c) ask if the item is his.

Hi Skyrim fans. Rofl.
Bleeeee. . . . .

giannikampa

Event: Rats infestation

Spawn random 5to15 rats for each of your colonists and tamed animals.
They are regular rats, no manhunt.
as expected they'll go for food, so every edible resource they can reach is in danger.
on the other hand you can fight the invasion by killing them and getting their meat (revenge still can happen..).
i did this a couple of times in my game using devtool spawn pawn just for fun and it looks a neutral event i'd like to see in game.
If triggered by an event driver i'd make the rats already half hungry to have sudden danger for outside crops, plus the event should occur in no cold season because they'll exit the map asap if no food is reachable for them.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

willpill35

Quote from: Havan_IronOak on August 05, 2016, 10:04:50 AM
Not an event so much as a feature...

I'd love to see a way of contacting the party that last raided me and offer to return their captured raider in exchange for some loot.  Perhaps No change in relations but still a reason to capture and release instead of just a faction boost (which doesn't help with the worst of the worst anyway)

I like that idea maby demand they send you a item or silver and depending on what you ask for you actually loose more relations with that faction.  It would also need to be restricted on what you can get from them based on tech level and pirates will never pay to get there people back.  As an example from tibes you can request animals or silver or primitive weapons.  From outlander town you could request various black powder weapons and medicine.  Maby add in other factions of various tech tiers as well like a glitterworld military outpost who are by default hostile but only raid about as often as mechanoids do and then they dont try and wipe you out only fight there way to your food supplies or weapons then leave with some.  If you happen to get one of these guys captive you can release them to improve relations or trade them for something high end like charger weapons or power armor and glitterworld meds.

Could also set it that you can only get them to agree to trade certain things based on how many prisoners you have.  Example a tribe may accept 2 chickens for one prisoner but your going to need 2 or three people to get them to send you that muffalo.

As a event attached to this when a trade goes down they come to collect their person but during the exchange they attack and try to back out of the trade or rig that muffalo to explode after a few days.

Havan_IronOak

How about a new incident called Earthquake.

Causes a "rain" of rock chunks to fall, possibly injuring colonists that are struck by them. Plus the debris will need to be removed to facilitate passage.

The event might include the following features:
The debris would NOT be uniform or ubiquitous. In some places none, in others some random rock chunks, in especially heavy spots a "wall of rock" may seal colonists in requiring rescue.

But "Every cloud has it's silver lining."

Some of the falling debris might be iron ore or even silver or gold or components. And the "wall of rock" might just be compacted machinery or a vein of some ore.

Of course some surface damage is to be expected as well... Perhaps in the way of a few hit points to random spots of wall.

b0rsuk

A newbie comes and starts asking questions!