[1.0.1941] Infection on badly damaged torso kills pawn before 100% infection.

Started by Mihsan, June 22, 2018, 08:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Venatos

my suggestions where: include low efficiency percentages trigger a medical emergency alert, so the player actually knows that the colonist is in danger of dieing.
or change the "-X% eff." stat of the infection to a "max eff. Y%" stat.
as it is now, the player has no idea the colonist is even in danger, until now most people (even rimworld youtubers) just didnt know why the colonist died and thought it was a bug.

Canute

Venatos,
and how should that help ?
It only would be useful on early infection stage, so you maybe let the best doctor with best medicin tend the infection, so the infection don't got extreme.

Snafu_RW

Perhaps a vitals monitor could supply some sort of life support WRT infections so that situations such as 'Infection of torso: Immunity at 90%, infection at 87%. No other infections or bleeding, she just finished eating at the table then went back to bed. Got a notification that it turned extreme, then a couple seconds later that she died. As you can see, no malnutrition in this case [...] This is on version 1.0.1943.', assuming immunity is still outstripping infection, is still relevant & useful?
Dom 8-)

iamomnivore

Quote from: Mihsan on June 22, 2018, 08:32:39 AM
Rewriten with newest info:
1) Pawn had badly wounded torso and infection on it.
2) Pawn dies right after infection switches from major to extreme (78%) because efficiecy on body part "torso" drops to 0%.
3) I expected pawn not to die from infection below 100%. Torso efficiecy should not drop to zero in such case or it should not cause death - it makes so that almost any infection on torso will kill pawn.
4) Save file with conditions (pawn's name - Marina): https://cloud.mail.ru/public/CyGd/unn4Vuwjh

I don't actually think this is a bug. I've been seeing it since B18. It seems to be likely that the infections have a hidden death chance. I've had several deaths, before hitting 100% but, I could always say to myself: "Damn, I didn't use the good Medicine and they sat in 'Extreme' for way too long."

If it's happening _immediately_ after entering Extreme -- that's a bit weird. Typically, my pawns go for quite a while sitting at Extreme status before any deaths occur. Was your pawn older? Perhaps, this chance is higher with less immunity? Only Tynan knows ;)

In any case, as I've experienced this "bug" -- A) It tends to be forgiving and only punishes when I've let an infection go on for too long, trying to save medicine. Kind of a "long, hard fight against the infection" situation. B) It doesn't happen often. Most infections can be circumvented well ahead of higher percentages (work on that medicine.) C) Watch every status effect going on. Sometimes, it really is an inexplicable death but, many times it's due to _something_. Just my 2 cents. I kind of like this element. Adds a bit more danger and interest to infections.

Snafu_RW

Infection (B18) is scalar: its %age jumps from lvl to lvl. So basically you had bad luck with timing

Don't forget that burns have an extremely high infection rate (& progression if untreated) just as in RL.. you don't state what wounds your pawn had, so this may not be relevant
Dom 8-)