Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imbellis

I've only had two real glitches in my 1.0.1982.

• The first day after landing, I got a notification that a character had gotten Malaria. The issue was that it wasn't a colonist - nor anybody on the map. Sadly, I don't have any screenshots, but I'll try to recreate it.
  • Secondly, after rescuing a prisoner, I attempted to reform the caravan; however, that's only possible in the worldview. The bug console sat on top of the form caravan button. This isn't critical (since you can press the bound button or wait 5 days) (Example shown as Glitch.4), but is an issue none the less. Other caravans and bases also happened to show up as being empty (Glitch.5 and Glitch.6)

Here are a couple more or my thoughts (AKA rants) ordered from most important to least:

• Manhunter packs don't attack wild people.
  • The map is made in commitment mode; however, it's saved as permadeath (whatever that means).
  • Untamed animals aren't attacked by insect hives while tamed ones are. Not too big of an issue, but I think either both should or shouldn't
  • While cutting plants (in the case of blight), the default key "y" is the same one assigned to deleting the zone. If you misclick, the zone is deleted.
  • Tree sowing research may be a tad high - perhaps bump it from 1000 to 800. On the other hand, I think gunsmithing (500), blowback (500) and turrets (500) should be raised.
  • Untamed animals aren't attacked by insect hives while tamed ones are. Not too big of an issue, but I think either both should or shouldn't
  • The game of Ur is a nice touch, albeit niche reference.
  • Horseshoes go through walls.

Overall, I'm loving the progress that you're making. Best of luck!

Greep

Ah, it was building wealth not item wealth.  that's gotta be flooring then.  Still no affect on raids tho \o/  Or maybe it did but building wealth is cut in half so it was less noticeable.  I think I'll keep my gold flooring, though it kinda looks like piss in the middle of sterile floors.

Blah, no wonder why I stopped making chemfuel.  No more from meals :(

Pemmican and kibble then!  You can't stop us tynan!

Wait not even wood?  That feels like a bug.

In any case I think you brought up the worst possible meta in rimworld history:  Human meat chemfuel... or is it the best  8)

[attachment deleted due to age]
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

zizard

logikzer0

Storyteller:  Cassandra
Difficulty: Merciless Naked Brutality
Biome/hilliness: Boreal Forest flat
Commitment mode: Yes
Current colony age (days): 20?
Hours played in the last 2 days: a couple
Complete mod list:  while you're up, more faction interaction, allow tool

Well, that was a short run and it was completely thanks to the INSANELY BRUTAL food poisoning system.  I hate it.  Food poisoning should not add FORTY PERCENT pain!  It's too much.  I can understand it making your colonist near useless for work but why in the world does it add 40% pain?

My colonist started naked and alone, she was pretty good other than no social.  I figured I could get a wanderer or something that could handle that later.  Built up a small room with the basics, did some berry harvesting, did a little hunting and got some meals going on the campfire.  I am annoyed that campfires make rooms too hot to sleep in many times.  My room was probably 6x8ish floorspace and I kept having to switch between holding the doors open and not to avoid "slept in the cold" or "slept in the heat." 

First raid comes, single dude with a club.  I had crafted myself a club and a bow since my colonist was good at both melee and shooting.  Gave him a few shots and then switched to club for close combat.  No problem.  Can't recruit the guy so I strip and execute.  At least I'm not naked now although the clothes are rather poor.  For the first time I made patchleather stuff and it did the trick for now but I am going to need a parka sometime in the next 20 days or so.  Spoiler:  it never gets to winter.

Moving along pretty well just trying to plan some small expansions and considering the best option for power and how much I can actually research...then boom the first food poisoning hits.  My colonist is a 2 in cooking so I knew it would happen at some point.  Then a raid comes.  That's OK, he's preparing a while so I think I should be recovering by the time he attacks.  The moment the guy attacks my colonist breaks "hide in room" because of being sick.  Attacker lights my bed on fire then downs me and decides to kidnap me.  While he is running away with me my food poisoning recovers and I pop up and he runs off.  Unfortunately my entire room has burned to the ground.  I have no food or bed or anything. 

Craft a new bow which of course was worse than the first one I made, gather some berries to stem off starvation and plan to do a small hunt to start some meals up again.  Got a bed put together and a door for my house.  New raid, girl with a knife.  I'm still injured from the earlier fight and have had no time to patch myself up, but we play door peekaboo and I manage to beat her while taking a couple stabs.  At this point I'm malnourished again so I run to find some berry bushes and some healroot I left near the bushes.  I should probably eat first...BOOM food poisoning (dangerous food type.)  40% pain added to my already hurting colonist put pain over 100%.  Now I get to wiggle on the ground until I bleed out 13 hours later.  I guess I should've tended first.

Please make food poisoning less brutal.

ticket

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Rough Naked Brutality (wow, kinky)
Biome/hilliness: Temperate forest mountains
Commitment mode: No, but self-enforcing commitment
Current colony age (days): ~125
Hourse played in last 2 days: 20 (whoops)
No mods
Map size: Medium (275x275)
Build: 1.0.1982

Was able survive the (very predictable) first couple days of Cassandra Naked Brutality and am currently at 12 colonists, defending a mostly-closed off area. It has gotten to the point now where I'm considering tanking relations with tribes since dealing with tribal raids is somehow easier than dealing with poison/psychic ships and other mech raids, which seem to be taking the place of the tribal raids.

Right now I have many colonists missing fingers, toes, etc. Looks like there are a couple of things I can do to replace a hand (power claw, scyther blade) but nothing that I can put on someone's foot, so I'm not sure what to do there besides save up for bionic legs.

Sorry for the theory-crafting, but it seems like it would make more sense if injured bionics were repaired with steel/components. It's a little weird that they can be fixed by applying herbal medicine.

Complaints, which I'm not sure are bugs or if I'm bad at this game:
Auto-rearm on traps and IEDs keep turning off automatically.
Can't rotate marriage spot.
Had two instances of "organ harvested" debuff at the same time with different spellings ("Someone organ harvested" and "Someone's organ harvested")
Merge caravan didn't work for me after sending someone off in another direction then immediately back to the original caravan which was visiting a faction.
Installed a bionic arm on a body-purist and he's not upset about it.

bbqftw

Can there be an option for caravan packing that says "we'll do this tomorrow and please don't sleep on the floor this time", tia

Can we also have rescued guests preferentially not path through forbidden doors?

PS I also noticed that caravan resting actually rests your guys now! Great work Tynan!!!!

PPS monkaS raid points no longer capped at 10k, can't wait for my 15000 point 30x timewaster raid. Time to aggressively wealth control some more :( The true heart of rimworld. Looks like merciless threat scaling was upped by 10% as well.

PPPS all IED costs doubled  hahahahaha what a meme get funpoliced @greep

Greep

Quote from: bbqftw on August 06, 2018, 11:11:08 PM

:(.  Muh sapper control.  Pity about the raid cap, I was about to let seriously let myself go just right now.  It's 20k cap, but that's just to stop computers from frying I guess.

I like the evolution of IEDs:

"
-People aren't using IEDS, time to lower their cost by ~1/3 by removing the component.
-Oh noes people are using IEDs!  double it!
"

It's like that "I am a strategic geniu- OH NO!" meme.

There must have been something to offset the 10% scaling of merciless, though, as I didn't even notice the fun points change when updating.

user was warned for this post: rule 1 and rule 2

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

anitram

Storyteller: Phoebe
Difficulty: Base builder
Scenario: Crash landed
Biome/hilliness: Temperate forest, flat
Commitment mode: Yes
Current colony age (days): 400
Hours played in the last 2 days: ~6
Complete mod list: None

Continuing my previous game. I've passed 400 days, maybe I'll launch the ship, maybe not...

Base-builder difficulty:
- caravan goes on a 0,8 day travel, gets ambushed twice on the way there, twice on the way back (by one raider/one animal, but still)
- 2 sieges in 3 days, and I have no idea on how to counter them, so I just send all of my pawns to attack and hope for the best. After the first one, I have 8/20 damaged pawns, nothing serious but need to be hospitalized. And then another siege comes.
- manhunter event - emus, 8 birds. Aftermath: 6 destroyed steel turrets, 2 destroyed granite walls. Are these some kind of plasteel alien bionic emus?

Colonists fighting... There should be some kind of punishment for this behavior, as a deterrent for others. Mechanoid raid, the second I drafted them, they started a fight, ended with a sniper downed. I really wanted to shoot both of them where they stood, but then I'd just get a debuff. Plus, if I shot everyone who started fighting, I'd end up with one colonist. These pawns seriously hate each other.

bbqftw

mercicass/ year 4 / big noob biome / idk

Had spicy new 16k point raid. 21x timewaster, 18x storyteller, 19x useless vs handpicked 20 warriors. Is this what Pandora was supposed to feel like?

No wounds, just a death.

One of my cows! She was happily grazing too close to the map edge when she was beset upon by a gang of scythers. Could have probably saved it though, so technical misplay.

So that sucked.

Oh well, we will recover.

Unfortunately, the uncapping of raid points means that my decorative marriage spot will have to be... reprocessed :( Even with the greatly lowered manufacturing standards for centipedes, every scrap of plasteel counts. Well I took a picture of it for memories:

I had such great things planned :(

Greep

One big issue with the raid cap: IIRC it was lowered to stop rough and under from getting absurd raids like merciless (medium would cap at about 4000*.65).  There doesn't seem to be a check anymore against this, with wealth alone allowing for 4200 raid points.  I think the cap is just too high, but at the very least, it should be lowered for lower levels.

WOW.  Check out that market value.  Cyborgs are hot.

[attachment deleted due to age]

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

bbqftw

With the nerf to power armor and the extremely high value of armor points at high values, this raises interesting question of whether rolling for excellent flak vest (at 130% sharps, vs 107/124 for normal/good power armor) might be stronger play than building power armor. Since flak vest is not too prohibitive to roll for, but power armor is not. Your limbs might not appreciate it, but that 23% differential is a pretty huge increase in EHP for torso parts.

Its more economical too for raid control aspects, unless you are forcing prisoners to wear power armor then executing them. Then again, storytold limbs have their own wealth control issues too, and getting those shot off is pretty expensive too now.

Greep

I think it comes down to neck protection vs organ protection.  Losing a limb = bionics.  I have no idea of the odds of neck shots vs heart/liver/etc, though.

In any case I do like using inspirations on power armor.  Putting cyborgs in machine armor is weird and awesome.

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

zizard

Quote from: Greep on August 07, 2018, 04:02:46 AM
I think it comes down to neck protection vs organ protection.  Losing a limb = bionics.  I have no idea of the odds of neck shots vs heart/liver/etc, though.

In any case I do like using inspirations on power armor.  Putting cyborgs in machine armor is weird and awesome.

Flak vest covers the neck, so actually the difference is only on limbs.

Tynan

Quote from: Greep on August 07, 2018, 12:21:05 AM
Quote from: bbqftw on August 06, 2018, 11:11:08 PM

:(.  Muh sapper control.  Pity about the raid cap, I was about to let seriously let myself go just right now.  It's 20k cap, but that's just to stop computers from frying I guess.

I like the evolution of IEDs:

"
-People aren't using IEDS, time to lower their cost by ~1/3 by removing the component.
-Oh noes people are using IEDs!  double it!
"

It's like that "I am a strategic geniu- OH NO!" meme.

This derisive analysis is missing information. IEDs are much more powerful than before (larger explosion, 100% trigger chance, no explosion delay), plus the removal of a need for 2 hauling trips to construct each one saves a ton of colonist labor. Of course I'll be watching play and change it again if needed, but this seemed like a better solution than reducing the explosion radius to match a single mortar shell (I'd rather tools be big and satisfying and a bit pricey, than cheap and weak and spammy).

The derisive tone in this message is both unconstructive and against the rules (rule 2: derisive tone as well as rule 1: personal insult). Remember that when you write here you're writing messages that I will read. I am a human. Derision and implied insults like this are both wearing on me personally as well as pointlessly dragging the conversation from "let's collaborate to make a better game" to "let's recreationally insult this game, what an idiot Tynan is, haha". That's why it's poisonous to the conversation and against the rules. If you see a change you disagree with, first actually play it to get some experience with it (because you may not understand it in context), and second write your experiences and thoughts on it constructively. Engaging in experience-free sniggering may seem fun, but it is rulebreaking, off-topic, and useless and that's why you were warned for this post.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mlzovozlm

roasted lol
----
i like the 100% kill, now i can spam it in designated cave & instant-kill the infestation