[Request] Advice on creating an item.

Started by Crimsonknight3, May 15, 2014, 02:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimsonknight3

Hey all,

I am weird when it comes to games and hate messiness. I want to be able to mine (My bases are always built inside a mountain) but when I mine rock out I hate the way it leaves rooms looking messy or un-symetrical so I want to take the texture so that I can fill rooms in and have it look like they have never been mined out.

Any advice would be helpful. I have a basic understanding of *some* programming but not a lot at all

iame6162013

Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on May 15, 2014, 02:29:53 PM
Hey all,

I am weird when it comes to games and hate messiness. I want to be able to mine (My bases are always built inside a mountain) but when I mine rock out I hate the way it leaves rooms looking messy or un-symetrical so I want to take the texture so that I can fill rooms in and have it look like they have never been mined out.

Any advice would be helpful. I have a basic understanding of *some* programming but not a lot at all
Uh...
i think that u might be asking on how to create your mining look better ^^
(that's all up to you)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

mrofa

All i do is clutter all around.

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: mrofa on May 16, 2014, 10:30:44 AM
use stone brick wall

That is okay for the interior of the mountain but if I am mining out iron or copper sometimes it leads from inside my base to outside the mountain so I want to be able to replace the mountains edges (they look rugged not straight).

For the poster above you, as I just wrote, it's all well and fine mining neatly when when you follow a vein of ore, be it large or small, it ends up creating a necessity to create very large rooms in places where I don't want them.
An example of this is: I was mining out my rooms for colonists 5x5 with a 1x1 entrance in the middle for the door. I then found ore in the edges of the 5x5 room, so I mine them out but the room ends up being all messed up kinda like a spear-head, and to make the room square (or rectangular) the room would've ended up being around 10x8 which just doesn't sit well with me lol I could make a larger room and use it for something but I like my base being compartmentalised into different areas for different uses in such a way that colonists always travel the same distance depending on what they are doing.

Understand now?

mrofa

Make a mod copy the wall xml from core, and as a texture use linked mountain textures from art resources on the forum, you will be able to build a wall that looks like a moutain.

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: mrofa on May 16, 2014, 12:26:19 PM
Make a mod copy the wall xml from core, and as a texture use linked mountain textures from art resources on the forum, you will be able to build a wall that looks like a moutain.
Will it automatically go straight on the inside and rugged on the out or will I have to make multiple blocks for each orientation? 

mrofa

It will behave like a wall in placing it.

Crimsonknight3

I managed to do it. I looked at the embrasures mod and coremod for examples then wrote the .xml and used gimp to make the photoshop textures for the mountain workable as .png (tried just exporting to ping but the psd had a background) Only issue that you may be able to see somewhat is the different colouring to the interior of the mountain but that doesn't bother me at all :) Though I may add a cost -- To prevent myself from being tempted to use them as free walls (they have same health as stone walls but are free to make...) I definately managed to create what I wanted, So proud hahaha

mrofa

If you want orginal coloring use the textures from here
Other than that gratz on your first mod :)

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: mrofa on May 16, 2014, 10:08:30 PM
If you want orginal coloring use the textures from here
Other than that gratz on your first mod :)

Those are the textures I used. All I did was delete the black background and export to png format. hmmm maybe thats just the mountains texture but the unexplored fog just changes its appearance slightly as it blends into the mountain wall pieces

mrofa

Try adding <drawerType>MapMeshOnly</drawerType> to the wall def

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: mrofa on May 16, 2014, 10:24:14 PM
Try adding <drawerType>MapMeshOnly</drawerType> to the wall def

ill give it a go when I get back from hospital and let you know.  One issue I did run into was rain rendering in front of normal blocks but not my custom ones but I didnt get the chance to test it after I made some changes. ill let you know on that one aswell

Crimsonknight3

Using MapMeshOnly makes a very faint grid like square pattern quite visible. I'm just going to edit the textures to look slightly brown and see how that works :)

mrofa

You can also get orginal settings from core, they are in Buildings_Natural.xml.

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: mrofa on May 17, 2014, 10:25:31 AM
You can also get orginal settings from core, they are in Buildings_Natural.xml.

I've mirrored the original settings (not exactly as the core has a lot of options I am not sure whether they are for terrain gen or whether they can be options for buildable blocks)

Anyway here is my problem and it's totally perplexing me!!

The Gimp image has the exact same colour as in game mountains, the exported png has exact same colours as in game mountains, but when the game loads them, they appear orange! I can get the mountain edge (lighter pieces) to match up but I just keep trying over and over and can't get the top to blend in with the natural mountain. What code would I need to link the texture for the natural mountain in the buildings.xml? Ill include my .xml at the bottom for you to see.

(also note I am using dev mode to get rid of all weather/fog/shadows etc to just compare the base colours)

Bottom image is just a new game with all dev options off ---

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Buildings>

<ThingDef Name="BuildingBase" Abstract="True">
<category>Building</category>
<bulletImpactSound>BulletImpactMetal</bulletImpactSound>
<selectable>true</selectable>
<drawerType>MapMeshOnly</drawerType>
<surfaceNeeded>Light</surfaceNeeded>
<constructionEffect>ConstructMetal</constructionEffect>
<repairEffect>Repair</repairEffect>
</ThingDef>

<ThingDef ParentName="BuildingBase" Name="MountainBase" Abstract="True">
<eType>Wall</eType>
<thingClass>Building</thingClass>
<linkDrawerType>CornerFiller</linkDrawerType>
<category>Building</category>
<blueprintTexturePath>Things/Building/Linked/Wall_Blueprint_Atlas</blueprintTexturePath>
<linkFlags>
<li>Wall</li>
<li>Rock</li>
</linkFlags>
<altitudeLayer>BuildingTall</altitudeLayer>
<passability>Impassable</passability>
<castEdgeShadows>true</castEdgeShadows>
<fillPercent>1</fillPercent>
<coversFloor>true</coversFloor>
<placingDraggableDimensions>1</placingDraggableDimensions>
<tickerType>Never</tickerType>
<rotatable>false</rotatable>