If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew hallard

when i tried to download the files again and use winrar to extract them it opend the files without having to install them, but when i opend the game it went to a black screen.

andrew hallard

so i deleted the game files and downloaded them again, used winrar to extract them, i never got the option to install the game, i could just open the game from the files, which brought up the black screen, how do i uninstall and reinstall?

Tynan

Andrew -

1. Delete all your game files

2. Follow step 3 on this post: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4805.0

3. Reinstall by carefully following these instructions https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7886.0

You can *not* run the game without installing it. You can *not* run the .exe from inside the zip file. You can *not* install the game inside, over top of or alongside an old installation of the game. Delete it all, install all clean in a new empty folder, you should be back where you started.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

andrew hallard

i cant download the game again from my email link, ive run out of downloads trying to get it to work

andrew hallard

i have multiple files of the game in my recycling bin from trying this, but they wont work if i extract them. so i guess i need a new download of the game?

Tynan

OK, I've reset it for you.

alphadude

Hello Ty

I have tried step 3, and deleted my game a few times to solve the black screen issue. But this just added a new problem to the mix as I cannot even get the game out of winrar and run it. I don't know what to do at this point, please help.
Here is the message and errors.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Tynan

Alpha make sure you're actually extracting the files, all together, to an empty folder, before you try to run the game.

If your WinRar itself isn't working, I can't troubleshoot that. I'd suggest trying another zip program.

skylerklosterman

i need help bad first of all i exidentally paid twice and when the game download thing poped up [the thing that has a download button after every type of computer]  i was in a hurry and my internet was not being fast at the time and i pressed it a lot of times on both download links [by the way im using a mac if you needed to know] when the game downloaded it only downloaded one game and i un archived it and when i played it it just had a black screen im so mad now please help

Tynan

1. Follow the steps in the first post in this thread to solve black screen issues.

2. To reset downloads, email Michael. His email is on the page ludeon.com/support

ikliptic

I finally got my game running but am down to 2 mac downloads..........stupid mac. Would you mind resetting thanks. :)

marius12157

I accidently downloaded the wrong version of a mod and now when i start the game it just is a black screen

ItchyFlea

Quote from: ikliptic on July 11, 2015, 12:19:56 PM
I finally got my game running but am down to 2 mac downloads..........stupid mac. Would you mind resetting thanks. :)
Send me an email and I'll reset the counter for you: [email protected]

Quote from: marius12157 on July 11, 2015, 04:37:23 PM
I accidently downloaded the wrong version of a mod and now when i start the game it just is a black screen
Follow step 3 in the OP of this thread. That will reset the mod config data and get the game running for you.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Ssschah

So i'm currently having some variation of the black screen issue. It started after I activated my mods in-game, and was forced to force-quit my game. Now, when I attempt to restart the game I get black screen. I've deleted my modsconfig.xml, I've done a fresh download of the game, and deleted all game-related files before extracting the new download to my applications folder (where I kept my game before). Still no luck. I'm fairly sure this is related to the "core" file (perhaps I accidentally disabled it while enabling mods), but i'm unsure how to fix it. I can't edit modsconfig.xml because a new file won't generate (since I unfortunately hastily deleted my previous one). Sorry to bother anyone who can help, but it has been months since i've last played this game and I don't remember much about the installation of mods. Thanks in advance.
Edit: and yes i've tried steps 1-5, though it should be noted that the Mac save file/config data location isn't where the first post says it is, but instead in
~/library/application support/application support/rimworld/config
edit 2: I'm so stupid! Okay so ^ is the old location for save data files, the new location is ~/library/caches/rimworld/config
Problem solved by deleting modsconfig.xml

superchase

doesn't work... don't know what to do nowany suggestions?
NOTHING TO SEE HERE.