Lightning Rods

Started by NachoToast, February 11, 2017, 04:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NachoToast

LIghtning rods have the ability to divert lightning around them. You can transfer this lightning into energy if you build a surge outlet, if you don't have a surge outlet and have connected the lightning rod to the power grid, a similar effect to the Zzzzt will occur and all power will be lost. A lightning rod can only be striked so many times before breaking.

Crafting Cost Suggestions:

Lightning Rod: 50 Steel, 2 Components (maybe a more expensive version that can take more hits and has a larger radius?

Surge Outlet: 60 Steel, 4 Components
-NachoToast

BlackSmokeDMax

Someone just made this mod.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30469.0

It'll be good to play with that first to see if it would be a good fit for vanilla.

Doomtim

So while I've been playing, I've noticed lightning can be incredibly annoying, sure it adds a challenge, but what if we can find a way to harness lightning with a posing challenge as well?

I have solar panels as my source of electricity, and noticed when lightning strikes, the bars on them are instantly full for half a second. this led me to the idea that if we managed to craft lightning rods, it would be a way to charge your batteries while raining, and/or at night time while storming. The challenge of this would be if you chose to use a lightning rod for additional power, there will be more chances of power surges in your conduits which could lead to fires still, but you would at least gain something from lightning instead of simply dreading it.

I figure the cost of building these lightning rods would be Gold, a component or two, and steel.  Since these rods wouldn't cover the entire map, it would only cover a certain small radius, but it would still be pricey enough to put building one into consideration instead of just building a crap ton everywhere.

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - @ Doomtim - Please can you use the search function to check for, and find, existing threads on a suggestion before creating a new thread for it (as per the forum rules, which I also recommend you read). Lightning rods have been suggested countless times before so I have merged your thread with an existing thread for this suggestion.

qsdoosix

Quote from: Doomtim on November 14, 2017, 01:43:30 PM
So while I've been playing, I've noticed lightning can be incredibly annoying, sure it adds a challenge, but what if we can find a way to harness lightning with a posing challenge as well?

I have solar panels as my source of electricity, and noticed when lightning strikes, the bars on them are instantly full for half a second. this led me to the idea that if we managed to craft lightning rods, it would be a way to charge your batteries while raining, and/or at night time while storming. The challenge of this would be if you chose to use a lightning rod for additional power, there will be more chances of power surges in your conduits which could lead to fires still, but you would at least gain something from lightning instead of simply dreading it.

I figure the cost of building these lightning rods would be Gold, a component or two, and steel.  Since these rods wouldn't cover the entire map, it would only cover a certain small radius, but it would still be pricey enough to put building one into consideration instead of just building a crap ton everywhere.

I like the idea to build lighting rods to protect your base. But NO,you can't storage lighting directly to your batteries. It will just blow them up by the ultra high voltage. Lighting strike make the solar panel full because it provide 100% light, not because it is charging something.

Deer87

Am i the only one wanting to harvest enough bodyparts to sew together my own pawns and wait for a good thunderstorm?

Yess thyr, the weatrher iss opthymal

JimmyAgnt007

Someone has already mentioned the mod, but please read the Frequent Suggestions Topic list, lightning rods are on it.