[A17-B19] Lightning Rod - There's unlimited power in the sky

Started by Spdskatr, February 11, 2017, 06:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spdskatr

SS Lightning Rod - V.1.1.0
(Zeon not included.)
The Spdskatr Department for Countering Zeon is back with another of their latest gadgets. This lightning rod will teach any Zeus impersonator that science will always conquer all, including their so-called "godly" lightning powers.

Adds a lightning rod that can attract lightning strikes to its pole using an ion beam emitter, and harvests part of its power. Unlock it with Machining research. It is located in the "Misc" tab.

Of course, every design has its imitations. The lightning rod can only recover so fast, and too much lightning hitting the one rod will overwhelm it.

MODES
The lightning rod has 3 modes:

• Power Saving Mode: Will not consume power, but only has a 1 in 4 chance of attracting a lightning bolt and cools down 50% slower.
  • Normal Mode: Normal(750W) power consumption and cooldown, attracts lightning bolts 100% of the time. Still has a 25% chance to attract a bolt when overwhelmed
  • Fast Cooldown Mode: Cools down 4x as fast as normal but consumes 3x as much power. Still has a 25% chance to attract a bolt when overwhelmed

Base power generation (per lightning strike):

ModePower Production (discharging), (inactive)Duration of dischargePower gain per strike
Power Save7000W discharging, 0W inactive2000 ticks466.67 Wd
Normal Mode6250W discharging, -750W inactive1000 ticks208.33 Wd
Fast Cooldown4750W discharging, -2250W inactive250 ticks39.58 Wd

Mod conflicts: Mod now uses Harmony prefix patching for detours at WeatherEvent_LightningStrike.FireEvent(). There should be less mod conflicts, unless another mod still uses old-style "Hooks" detours.

Licensing can be found with the Github link. Rule of thumb is don't do anything stupid.

Download: Github(B19) - Steam Workshop - GitHub Release(All previous versions)
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

XeoNovaDan

What a horrendous idea! Never before have I ever seen anything so ludicro- *subscribe*

Canute

Now we need a weather manipulator, so we get more lightning storms ! :-)

And finaly a use of these big 256k batteries from the bigger battery mod !

MarineStardust

in which building tab do you need to go to find it to build it and if it need research then what the name of the research?

Spdskatr

Quote from: MarineStardust on February 13, 2017, 11:38:42 PM
in which building tab do you need to go to find it to build it and if it need research then what the name of the research?
Unlock with Machining research, located in "Misc" tab. I'm going to put this in the main post as well.
My mods

AngleWyrm

The Modes description in the first post lists a set of energy costs for using the mod...Tell me why I want to use the mod. How much power does it generate? Is it all just a gamble or is there a gain in available power when this mod is installed?

Quote from: Spdskatr on February 11, 2017, 06:43:52 AM
I'm currently thinking about more wackier ideas such as lightning loops, cloud seeding, flashstorm summoning, (possibly lightning megastructures), etc. I wanna know what you guys want, so post them down there-ish  ;)

Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 16, 2017, 01:49:42 AM
Additional mods often require the use of more power, so what about some science-fiction solutions that can be combined to answer a need for about 50kw of additional power? Some backstory suggestions:
  • Gravitic Anomoly Generator converts planetary rotation into mechanical energy and from there to electricity. Each one is small and turns out only a little electricity, but a bank of them can be assembled over time as resources become available.
  • Solar Flare Harness a power capacitor/storage device that accumulates electricity during solar flares, to be used once the electrical systems are back online.
  • Temporal Differential Engine runs off the temperature difference between now and yesterday
  • Matter Converter converts atomic particles directly into energy. Matter->Energy conversion is so high that fuel is a non-issue; a pebble could source the conversion for centuries.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Spdskatr

Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 19, 2017, 03:34:28 AM
The Modes description in the first post lists a set of energy costs for using the mod...Tell me why I want to use the mod. How much power does it generate? Is it all just a gamble or is there a gain in available power when this mod is installed?

Quote from: Spdskatr on February 11, 2017, 06:43:52 AM
I'm currently thinking about more wackier ideas such as lightning loops, cloud seeding, flashstorm summoning, (possibly lightning megastructures), etc. I wanna know what you guys want, so post them down there-ish  ;)

Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 16, 2017, 01:49:42 AM
Additional mods often require the use of more power, so what about some science-fiction solutions that can be combined to answer a need for about 50kw of additional power? Some backstory suggestions:
  • Gravitic Anomoly Generator converts planetary rotation into mechanical energy and from there to electricity. Each one is small and turns out only a little electricity, but a bank of them can be assembled over time as resources become available.
  • Solar Flare Harness a power capacitor/storage device that accumulates electricity during solar flares, to be used once the electrical systems are back online.
  • Temporal Differential Engine runs off the temperature difference between now and yesterday
  • Matter Converter converts atomic particles directly into energy. Matter->Energy conversion is so high that fuel is a non-issue; a pebble could source the conversion for centuries.
Oops, sorry. Power stats changed and I forgot to add new ones. :P
My mods

SpaceDorf

The abilities to prevent fires from dry thunderstorms is well worth having this babies on retainer behind a switch
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Spdskatr

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 19, 2017, 08:14:53 AM
The abilities to prevent fires from dry thunderstorms is well worth having this babies on retainer behind a switch
In fact, it's now even easier! With the latest update you can switch modes. Power Save consumes no power, you can simply switch modes when a lightning storm comes to counter it, or if you have enough of them, according to the laws of probability, you don't need to set it to normal mode at all!
My mods

RxSniper007

oooohh nice

:D 🍪 [+1 COOKIE] 🍪 :D
:D :D :D

imma downloading this for the ability to keep my buildings safe from lightning fires XD

ImStereotype

Spdskatr

Oh derp. I forgot to update the title of this page to A17
My mods

maculator

You want ideas? I got ideas!
How about a reversed lightning rod?
Place a rod infront of your base, set it to "fry" and when those pesky raiders approach it you flip the switch, empty your batteries and fry them!
Damage and radius depend on available power.
You could also spread them across the map and use them to hunt squirrels.

TheAtomicOption

It doesn't appear there's actually a B19 release on github yet even though this post says there is?

Anvil_Pants

Quote from: TheAtomicOption on September 11, 2018, 11:41:06 AM
It doesn't appear there's actually a B19 release on github yet even though this post says there is?