[A17 WIP] Scuttlebugs

Started by demeggy, February 25, 2017, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demeggy

EDIT:

Mod Beta now released: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34485.0

Afternoon all.

I've recently started re-introducing myself to C# after a decade hiatus, and have decided to invest some time in trying out a couple of custom mods for Rimworld. One of such is Scuttlebugs.

Scuttlebugs introduces a new insect pawnKind to the game, that can infect colonists with a single scratch, impregnating them with Scuttlebug larvae. It's an often repeated trope of sci-fi, and I wanted to avoid making a Xenomorph-styled mod.

After a 24 hour gestation period, if the larvae has not been surgically removed (with a custom 'Extraction' operation bill), 2-3 nubile Scuttlebugs will burst forth from the colonist (killing the colonists in the process) and scamper off to reproduce and so forth. Killing the colonist is also not an option, as the death event itself triggers the 'birth' of the larvae. This means that should you wish to operate on the poor hosts, you'd better have a decent quarantine ward available!

I've so far gotten a crude tech demo up and running - but I'm still working on the transmission element of the hediff.

I'll keep y'all posted on development and probably throw up a demo vid at some point soon.

Demeggy

demeggy

First build almost ready, although the more I develop it, the more I feel like converting it into an Aliens/Xenomorphs mod... (but for now, we'll stick with the brief)

Implemented:

- Scuttlebugs can be hosted in escape pod refugees, so check anyone you're rescuing for signs of sickness, high hunger factor, impeded movement and high blood pumping
- After 24 hours, a host will 'birth' 1 - 3 nubile Scuttlebugs. By default, Scuttlebugs are permanent Manhunters, and will seek out the next host
- Bugs die as soon as they transmit their larvae into a Host, downing the colonist in the process
- Larvae Extraction can be peformed as an Operation Bill if you have: at least 6 medicine available in stock, a Doctor with a minimum Medicine skill of 10 and completed research in the new Xenobiology research project
- Bugs are highly vulnerable, and can be downed with a single shot - so a quarantine facility for infected patients is probably best

I've decided to avoid spawning the bugs on a hosts premature death, as I felt this was overly punishing for players - so if you don't have the means to extract the larvae directly, you can euthanise your colonist to prevent the spread of bugs.

I'll give it a couple of quick tweaks and look to upload later this eve if I get time.

Demeggy

Sniper Pilot

Kolljak

Will they evolve if not killed?

demeggy

Quote from: Kolljak on February 27, 2017, 08:26:35 AM
Will they evolve if not killed?

At the moment, I'm not planning on that as I'd be drawing way too close a parallel to the xenomorphs from the Aliens franchise... but I am planning a 'queen larvae' that has different outcomes to the normal types!

Yautja

Dude, for the love of everything, team up with someone here on the forum that is making the Alien Mod, since you know tons of C#, this can make we finally have Xenomorphs, this is something I dream since I started playing RimWorld, something like Xenos lifeform!

You two could even make a new mod from that, and keep this one split from the other, try to consider it, please!!

It looks amazing so far, cant wait to test it!!

demeggy

Quote from: Yautja on February 27, 2017, 05:21:27 PM
Dude, for the love of everything, team up with someone here on the forum that is making the Alien Mod, since you know tons of C#, this can make we finally have Xenomorphs, this is something I dream since I started playing RimWorld, something like Xenos lifeform!

You two could even make a new mod from that, and keep this one split from the other, try to consider it, please!!

It looks amazing so far, cant wait to test it!!

Cheers, I've got no objections letting whoever's making the Aliens mod use my code, as long as it's credited of course - as I have other plans once I've gotten this up and off the ground! We'll see what happens :)

demeggy

Quick tech demo this eve just to showcase the mod 'working' ingame. I have a few things left to do on it before I release a first build, but it's almost there!

https://youtu.be/gJF-ULOm-ek
(Apologies for the hushed tones, the wife is sleeping in the next room ;) )

Currently running this with a few mods, so if there's anything on there I don't talk about, but isn't in the original content, it's other peoples mod-stuff :)

Demeggy

AngleWyrm

Quote from: demeggy on February 25, 2017, 08:44:15 AM
#1:  After a 24 hour gestation period, if the larvae has not been surgically removed (with a custom 'Extraction' operation bill), 2-3 nubile Scuttlebugs will burst forth from the colonist (killing the colonists in the process) and scamper off to reproduce and so forth.

#2:  Killing the colonist is also not an option, as the death event itself triggers the 'birth' of the larvae.

Those two thoughts don't seem to make sense side by side. The creature is going to kill the colonist. But you can't kill the colonist...It just doesn't make for recognizable story.

This is a story: "Sorry, Jeff, but you've been infected; I've got to kill you and incinerate your body before they hatch, because there's no chance of a successful surgery out here."

The more you think in terms of adding interesting bits of story experience, the better your mod will be.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

demeggy

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 27, 2017, 11:38:38 PM
Quote from: demeggy on February 25, 2017, 08:44:15 AM
#1:  After a 24 hour gestation period, if the larvae has not been surgically removed (with a custom 'Extraction' operation bill), 2-3 nubile Scuttlebugs will burst forth from the colonist (killing the colonists in the process) and scamper off to reproduce and so forth.

#2:  Killing the colonist is also not an option, as the death event itself triggers the 'birth' of the larvae.

Those two thoughts don't seem to make sense side by side. The creature is going to kill the colonist. But you can't kill the colonist...It just doesn't make for recognizable story.

This is a story: "Sorry, Jeff, but you've been infected; I've got to kill you and incinerate your body before they hatch, because there's no chance of a successful surgery out here."

The more you think in terms of adding interesting bits of story experience, the better your mod will be.

I wouldnt say so. Killing the host is an unfortunate choice to have to make if you dont have the resources or knowledge to extract the larvae.
Note killing them DOES stop the larvae from hatching now, if thats what your quote was referring to.

TrashMan

I'd say you'd still have to incinerate the host. Otherwise they might spawn from a corpse.

demeggy

Quote from: TrashMan on February 28, 2017, 09:14:11 AM
I'd say you'd still have to incinerate the host. Otherwise they might spawn from a corpse.

Only problem with that is that corpses arent actually pawns after they die. They become containers, and any hediff code running on the pawn before it died stos running. Ill add it on a features list though.

In terms of bug visuals, ive gone for a lamprey styled parasite looking insect. Thoughts? Part of me was originally planning a crab/termite appearance.

SpaceDorf

I like the look of those flesh worms ..

tweaks I thought of :

24h sound a bit short to check, find and extract the worms

Can you put colonists in cryo caskets to slow down the infection ?

And what about infected animals, maybe a different strain of worms ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

demeggy

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 28, 2017, 12:40:16 PM
I like the look of those flesh worms ..

tweaks I thought of :

24h sound a bit short to check, find and extract the worms

Can you put colonists in cryo caskets to slow down the infection ?

And what about infected animals, maybe a different strain of worms ?

Nice ideas! At the moment, the duration is incredibly flakey, so I need to try and get that working correctly.

Cryosleep caskets's need testing too - but they'll be something you can hold back the infection from.

demeggy

Just to confirm - Cryptosleep caskets hold back the infection!