Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozobub

Roads should have the same travel rate anywhere, with some variation for random events (simulated fully or not), weather, and simple luck, as well as some permanent variance that represents the overall quality of that particular stretch of road.

Think of it this way:  Barring inclement weather (rain and snow, mainly), how much difference do you honestly think there is when traveling any section of road IRL, whether paved, gravel, or dirt?  SOME, yes, but a dirt road in good condition will work just fine for a pack train, thank you very much, as long as weather hasn't made in impassable; there will be hardly any difference between plodding down an ancient "super-asphalt" highway to a decently passable track in the woods to a muffalo ::).
Thanks, belgord!

ReZpawner

Having played a few days now:
Cons:

• I absolutely hate the tornadoes. Seems to me like a poor design decission. Adds nothing gameplay wise, only a major annoyance.
  • Not a massive fan of ship changes, particularly the size. The powerplants are no longer a decent option for powering a base.
  • It seems that surgery\general treatment is still a bit too easy - perhaps an adjustment is needed here? I got mechanites a couple of times over 10 years, but that was it.
  • Drug-use still seems to be a bit too addictive, particularly when most drugs really don't offer that much of a bonus. Sure it has its uses, but my crackhead faction didn't do anywhere near as well as I hoped it would.
  • Alert sounds don't really reflect the level of the alert. A nice quiet horn for a massive invasion? A sharp horn for an eclipse?

Meh:

• Why are people 'left behind' if we don't get to see them again? I purpously made them great, so I would have a positive surprise at some point in the future. Never saw them again.
  • Rescue event for incapacitated people. - why bother? Also, what's with the legs going missing all the time? Is there a serial amputator out there?
Pros:

• Absolutely loving the new serums! I only wish that they were easier to come by, but I suppose that's the point. That said, it would be a good thing to spend our late-game fortune on.
  • The new artifacts are pretty sweet, again I wish they were easier to come by.
  • Barely any lag in a fairly large base now, so it looks as if the main problem from A17 has been addressed.
  • Big fan of the additional generator (chemfuel), finally a real use for it - and it makes complete sense to have it there.
  • The new blight is great. No more just random things dying off.

Yoshida Keiji

It seems I can't do any of these "Incapacitated refugees" in Tropical Swamp, they are all farther than their remaining life time...and Caravan forming is always a whole odyssey itself.

Alenerel

Quote from: ReZpawner on October 31, 2017, 04:45:57 AM
  • It seems that surgery\general treatment is still a bit too easy - perhaps an adjustment is needed here? I got mechanites a couple of times over 10 years, but that was it.

What difficulty? Im playing on rough and its pretty rough in this aspect. Ofc, you have an hospital with medical beds, all treatments go accordingly, but you try and treat in the field when you assault something, or before you have the hospital and medical beds set up, shit can go very wrong, I have had a couple of people die, with immunity at 98-99%.

It seems that wounds heal slower if there are many. In A17 after a fight, a guy full of wounds would get healed next day but in A18 I have had a pawn full of wounds but none lethal stay unable to move for days, and no, he wasnt frail or anything, it was just bruises.

It might seem cheap that once you get medical beds and hospital wounds are no longer a problem, but at same time it wouldnt make sense that you invest all of those resources and time to then make no difference. Also even if you have that shiny hospital, when you are assaulting somewhere else wounds can be lethal too.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: MarvinKosh on October 30, 2017, 11:05:05 AM
Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 30, 2017, 06:14:57 AM
Quote from: MarvinKosh on October 29, 2017, 05:50:14 AM
Pause the game, use the growing zone tool (you cannot grow on mud or swamp either) and drag it out. Then you can use the planning tool to decide where your buildings should be, then you can get rid of the growing zone(s).

Have you tried this yourself?

Because the Growing zone tool will select "Marshy soil" as acceptable, but you cannot build anything on them. My problem is that it is not easily distinguishable to see marshy soil with all the shrubs or grass on them.

I think what I need is an extra "Toggle" option that shows all "buildable areas".

Marshy soil only has the 'Light' and 'GrowSoil' affordances, however you can add the ability to build walls on it ('Heavy' affordance) by laying concrete first. So, by using the concrete floor tool, I guess you can ultimately find out what you can and can't put walls on.

Thanks for this, so far I have never used concrete or paved tile. The ability to build on them is exclusive to A18 or has been possible since earlier Alphas?

PatrykSzczescie

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 31, 2017, 05:17:06 AM
It seems I can't do any of these "Incapacitated refugees" in Tropical Swamp, they are all farther than their remaining life time...and Caravan forming is always a whole odyssey itself.

I always find pod launching as the easiest way of moving on the map.

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 31, 2017, 06:19:28 AM
Quote from: MarvinKosh on October 30, 2017, 11:05:05 AM
Marshy soil only has the 'Light' and 'GrowSoil' affordances, however you can add the ability to build walls on it ('Heavy' affordance) by laying concrete first. So, by using the concrete floor tool, I guess you can ultimately find out what you can and can't put walls on.

Thanks for this, so far I have never used concrete or paved tile. The ability to build on them is exclusive to A18 or has been possible since earlier Alphas?

Marshy soil would have supported walls in A17.

kanukki

Some feedback on my blight experience... due to #reasons (heat wave, raid, starvation...) my fields got overrun with blight. Although I then gave orders to cut all plants, they still insisted on prioritizing planting new crops - which promptly got infected with blight - before removing the old blighted ones.

Even if I can set Plant Cut higher than Grow in priorities, I feel there would be a less micro-managing solution if I could give explicit order to remove only blighted crops, rather than having to click each one. Especially once you have 20 or 30+ blighted.

At least with the last event, once it happened it was over and you could just start re-planting.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: kanukki on October 31, 2017, 12:09:27 PM
Some feedback on my blight experience... due to #reasons (heat wave, raid, starvation...) my fields got overrun with blight. Although I then gave orders to cut all plants, they still insisted on prioritizing planting new crops - which promptly got infected with blight - before removing the old blighted ones.

Even if I can set Plant Cut higher than Grow in priorities, I feel there would be a less micro-managing solution if I could give explicit order to remove only blighted crops, rather than having to click each one. Especially once you have 20 or 30+ blighted.

At least with the last event, once it happened it was over and you could just start re-planting.

Click select any growing zone in the vicinity and block sowing.  Unblock when blight is cut out.

PhantomFav

This story start with a cave and end with another cave.

Jay, Camel and Wolfy (I called him Wolfy because he survived 3 wolf's attacks with only his spear) were happily foraging a tundra map. With curiosity, Jay entered in a cave, and saw at his end an "ancient danger" chamber. Hoping in a secure environment, she opened it... NOPE! The room was full of hives!!

Days passed and the little tribe built a wood hut and two bedroll for a confort sleep, far away from the crawling monsters.

But while the bugs where destroying the chamber's walls, a collapsing roof crushed a megascarab. This triggered the hive and 12 megascarab plus 4 Megaspider, went for my colonist. The pawns were trapped in seconds within the hut, so Wolfy scarified himself for Jay and Camel: he draws mega-bugs' attention away from his two female friends.

Killing with his spear one megascarab, Wolfy was eventually horribly teared apart (first an eye, then an arm, and lastly a leg), but Jay and Camel survived unhurt. The lovers, still guilty for the fate of their friend, organized a caravan for a more safe map immediately after the burying. They were without food and with few woods to build a fire camp and a door, but eventually they founded another cave!

With mushrooms in abundance and a roof on their heads, they survived in a desperate situation. Without that cave, now they could be frozen and/or starved to death under a thick layer of snow.

...and yes, that's the legendary Wolfy's spear, recovered after the bugs returned in their damned mountain!

The caves are a very cool new engine for new stories!

NemesisN

This is probably the first Rimworld Alpha I really don't like....it introduces way overpowered things something you should expect to be a mod for those who want it

I expected for Dev to fix some main issues about the game that make gameplay experience annoying that people complain a lot not just keep adding new things and ignore the problems
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

ShadowTani

Quote from: NemesisN on October 31, 2017, 01:09:43 PM
This is probably the first Rimworld Alpha I really don't like....it introduces way overpowered things something you should expect to be a mod for those who want it

Those "OP" things are very rare quest rewards though, the chance to get them don't come around often, and you will have to go out of your way during a limited time period to grab them. Considering that they feel just right in my opinion. And so far in my game I've only gotten a Psychic Emanator of all the new stuff, and that one can hardly be called OP.

East

SpaceShip I'm feeling awkward as the image grows up, will it solve it?

Bozobub

Quote from: NemesisN on October 31, 2017, 01:09:43 PM

I expected for Dev to fix some main issues about the game that make gameplay experience annoying that people complain a lot not just keep adding new things and ignore the problems
This.  Endless feature creep without bugfixes = not interested.  If A18 becomes the actual main, vanilla version, I won't be updating and time soon.
Thanks, belgord!

Goldenpotatoes

Feature creep doesn't really apply when all they did was apply some more unique rewards to make world events more appealing. Not to mention the fact A17 was primarily a bug fixing build that only got additional content because people wanted it.

You can start complaining about these issues once beta stage hits and it doesn't appear to be getting fixed.