Any clues on future updates for rimworld/ what Tynan is working on?

Started by mooguy, March 12, 2021, 03:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooguy

Every month up to sept12 2020 there were regular updates released for rimworld - yet haven't spotted anything since then.

I've had a look through reddit, steam, twitter and this forum although haven't seen any hints yet.
Does anyone know what the most up to date word was?

Any clues Tynan ;D

ShadowTani

Wasn't there a similar calm before the storm period before they revealed the Royalty expansion tho? They probably just not ready to talk about what they are working on yet.

mooguy

What makes you think they are working on rimworld content?

My question is what they are working on at all!

Before the royalty expansion was released on the 24th of Feb I counted it least 6 minor updates. The updates after the release were titled as 'regular update' - but there has not been an update since Sept. Love the game and just genuinely curious what tynan and his team are focused on or if they've moved on !

Muramas

I do have to say that the lack of communication is one of the biggest disappointments to Rimworld. They have never been good at communication and the Royalty DLC has never really felt feature full (compared to say, A RimWorld of Magic mod or Save our ship 2)

On the other side of things Factorio devs (which had a similar development time) have released a communication every week (they are up to #365 update) and are quite transparent about what their future plans https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-365 for the game and give us an inside look into how the devs think and feel.

ReZpawner

Not entirely true. In the really early days of the alpha, he had a devlog that listed absolutely every single thing that was done every day. It was an awesome read, but apparently took up way too much time.

Canute

QuoteI do have to say that the lack of communication is one of the biggest disappointments to Rimworld.
Personaly i don't mind it and don't need any information about upcoming things.
It is done when it is done, and it is a surprise when it is done.
Sure it is a nice goodie when i read Game xyz is at the development. But i can wait for it.
Maybe i am too old and got too many hype's behind me and too many frustrations to await something anymore.

mooguy

Quote from: Canute on March 14, 2021, 03:35:14 AM
QuoteIt is done when it is done, and it is a surprise when it is done.
Sure it is a nice goodie when i read Game xyz is at the development. But i can wait for it.
Maybe i am too old and got too many hype's behind me and too many frustrations to await something anymore.

I also dont think they have to give a roadmap/timeline ect - but is there any reason to suspect they are still working on content for rimworld? im not sure what the last word on the topic was!

ShadowTani

Quote from: mooguy on March 12, 2021, 07:42:26 PM
What makes you think they are working on rimworld content?

What makes you think I assume they are? The example used in the first part of my post does not restrict the answer of the second part.

With that said, there is still a demand and an appetite for more official Rimworld content, but expanding their portfolio is important if Ludeon is to grow as a company, though there's no guarantee a new project will be a hit - so from a business perspective the most sensible thing would be to work on both a new Rimworld DLC as well as a new game. Keeping Rimworld relevant will ensure they have something to fall back on if any new game flops.

AWildman

Not to add fuel to the fire here but they're definitely working on something. You can see a private branch being updated regularly on steamdb. Some speculate it's a multiplayer update, some think it's a regular DLC like royalty. Time will tell.

mooguy

Quote from: AWildman on March 17, 2021, 06:01:32 AM
Not to add fuel to the fire here but they're definitely working on something. You can see a private branch being updated regularly on steamdb. Some speculate it's a multiplayer update, some think it's a regular DLC like royalty. Time will tell.

Thank you Awildman. i'm content just knowing knowing they are working on something  :D

ReZpawner

wdb2021

Updates are still available as usual. This update might be slower than the update. But not very long For quick updates You may have to check out the official page.

eugeneb

I must admit - lack of communication is the only thing I've somewhat disliked about Ludeon. I guess I just love hype and love having even a very general idea about what's coming ;D I am kind of missing those early days when we were playing some random Alpha and knew what was coming - another alpha with refinement, and probably a few major new tings.

Right now it's a complete unknown - maybe game is abandoned, maybe they are working on a new game, maybe on refinements, maybe a major new update like Royalty.

ReZpawner

That was the case with Royalty. Pretty much nobody outside of the testing group knew anything. No youtubers, no journalists, nothing. A couple of people had found some code that hinted at something, but other than that it was a complete shock when the news page was accidentally released a couple of days before the actual release.

Bigdestyn

think about all the money tynan made, with people buying the overpriced crap known as rimworld. (60$)
Its not even close to a AAA title, hell its a FFF title.
guy probably already can retire with the shekels he has been making, i should look into seeing how selling a steam gaem works.