New trait ideas

Started by ParagonTerminus, September 20, 2014, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParagonTerminus

After playing the newest version, I feel some traits really need to get in:

1. Agoraphobic. Most colonists get a negative mood effect for being in cramped environments and bonuses for open ones, but what about a colonist who feels the opposite? One who absolutely can't stand the outside but loves the indoors?

2. Fragile. Take damage more easily.

3. Immune. Seemingly has a very strong immune system; untreated wounds won't get infected.

4. Bloodthirsty. Deal more melee damage and move quicker in combat.

5. Agile. Small chance to automatically dodge away from incoming fire.

6. Shy. Gets smaller/negative effect from social chats.

7. Compulsive Eater. Hunger drains much faster.

8. Depressed. Opposite of Sanguine trait; significant permanent mood decrease.

9. Charming. Mood boost to all colonists nearby.

10. Annoying. Opposite of Charming.

11. Apathetic. Doesn't get mood decrease from seeing death and injury.

12. Nearsighted. Much worse aim at longer ranges while firing.

13. Farsighted. Better at aiming further away, but suffers in close quarters.

14. Sadist. Gets mood increase from seeing others injured/dead.

15. Necrophiliac (yeah, let's get weird). Significant mood increase from seeing corpses.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

Tynan

Some of these are pretty darn good!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Involved

These are great! I like that there are negative ones.

An 'Equanimity' or 'Calm' trait would be nice, where they remain neutral mood forever, or if that seems too OP/hard to implement, have mood modifiers affect them to a lesser extent, say only 20%.
Thank you Tynan for creating a game of my dreams. Let's all help make Rimworld the best it can be!

ParagonTerminus

Quote from: Involved on September 21, 2014, 03:31:29 AM
These are great! I like that there are negative ones.

An 'Equanimity' or 'Calm' trait would be nice, where they remain neutral mood forever, or if that seems too OP/hard to implement, have mood modifiers affect them to a lesser extent, say only 20%.

I actually considered making the "Apathetic" trait like your suggestion, constant neutral mood, but I do actually think that's OP since enemy raids are only half of the challenge.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

keylocke

Quote from: ParagonTerminus on September 21, 2014, 04:34:24 AM
I actually considered making the "Apathetic" trait like your suggestion, constant neutral mood, but I do actually think that's OP since enemy raids are only half of the challenge.

isn't this like the psychopath trait? they added it in alpha 6 (i think)

also, to add to the list :

* insomniac : can't sleep unless really tired.
* pretty/handsome : mood boost to nearby colonist of the opposite gender
* shut-in : gets negative mood from social interaction or going outside, but staying alone inside a room gives positive boosts.
* hunter : gets damage boosts against animals
* strong : gets melee damage boost and lowers speed penalty when hauling.
* fast healer : heals faster from injuries.
* high metabolism : works faster at the cost of faster hunger.
* serial killer : will sometimes kill people at random
* pyromaniac : will sometimes start fires inside the home region
* kleptomaniac : will sometimes relocate items in stockpiles and drops them near their assigned bed.

ParagonTerminus

Quote from: keylocke on September 21, 2014, 05:32:36 AM

* insomniac : can't sleep unless really tired. Not sure what this might cause
* pretty/handsome : mood boost to nearby colonist of the opposite gender Seems a little like a downgraded Charming trait, probably only one will get in
* shut-in : gets negative mood from social interaction or going outside, but staying alone inside a room gives positive boosts. I think combining the Agoraphobic and Shy traits might work, but I'd personally separate them
* hunter : gets damage boosts against animals Perks affect, generally, mood, health, and actions. Enjoying hunting doesn't increase the calibre of your gun.
* strong : gets melee damage boost and lowers speed penalty when hauling. I like this one, I support
* fast healer : heals faster from injuries. Would have to be a small boost, otherwise it's OP
* high metabolism : works faster at the cost of faster hunger. Sounds good.
* serial killer : will sometimes kill people at random No. In all ways, no.
* pyromaniac : will sometimes start fires inside the home region Eh, sure.
* kleptomaniac : will sometimes relocate items in stockpiles and drops them near their assigned bed. Nice idea, but what effect would this really have?

Nice ideas, comments in italics.

keylocke

@serial killer comment : No. In all ways, no.

why not?? it would be fun to roleplay, lol.  ;D

besides you can manually cancel it by draft/undraft.. or just don't allow serial killers to join you.
but it would be fun if it got triggered by one of those random stranger joins your colony event and it turns out that they're a serial killer.. haha

fun times..

ParagonTerminus

Quote from: keylocke on September 21, 2014, 06:45:34 AM
@serial killer comment : No. In all ways, no.

why not?? it would be fun to roleplay, lol.  ;D

besides you can manually cancel it by draft/undraft.. or just don't allow serial killers to join you.
but it would be fun if it got triggered by one of those random stranger joins your colony event and it turns out that they're a serial killer.. haha

fun times..

I don't want to have the dilemma of having a super-useful colonist who may also end up stabbing another super-good colonist without warning.

Tynan

Quote from: ParagonTerminus on September 21, 2014, 07:23:44 AM
I don't want to have the dilemma of having a super-useful colonist who may also end up stabbing another super-good colonist without warning.

Dilemmas are usually considered the best kind of game design.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Geokinesis

Quote from: keylocke on September 21, 2014, 05:32:36 AM

* insomniac : can't sleep unless really tired.
* pretty/handsome : mood boost to nearby colonist of the opposite gender
* shut-in : gets negative mood from social interaction or going outside, but staying alone inside a room gives positive boosts.
* hunter : gets damage boosts against animals
* strong : gets melee damage boost and lowers speed penalty when hauling.
* fast healer : heals faster from injuries.
* high metabolism : works faster at the cost of faster hunger.
* serial killer : will sometimes kill people at random
* pyromaniac : will sometimes start fires inside the home region
* kleptomaniac : will sometimes relocate items in stockpiles and drops them near their assigned bed.

I love the negative ones like kleptomaniac and pyromaniac (The pyro should get a mood boost from seeing fire!) although I think the pretty/handsome is better covered by the OPs suggestion of a charming trait.

Involved

I also think the pyromaniac trait is a good idea, and others like it. I'd love colonists to spontaneously do something positive or negative based on chance or their mood. It makes them more unique and real.

Haha! I just thought about a 'Sleepwalker' trait, where they have a chance of randomly arising at night and wandering slowly about with little z's coming from them. It'd be so good story-wise and make players smile/laugh.  ;)
Thank you Tynan for creating a game of my dreams. Let's all help make Rimworld the best it can be!

keylocke

+1 on the sleepwalker trait.

maybe even add :

* epilepsy : colonist randomly gets incapacitated
* narcolepsy : colonist randomly falls asleep on the floor

Rahjital

Affectionate - mood bonus from helping people in any way (a doctor healing people , etc.)
Brute - enjoys smashing things, mood bonus for melee combat
Cruel - mood bonus for attacking uncapacitated people/animals or prisoners
Daring - happy thought for doing dangerous things (being shot at and such)
Easily bored - unhappy thought from being idle more than a moment
Fearful - mood penalty for scary things
Fierce - scares everyone (or perhaps only enemies?) seeing him fight
Innocent - mood penalty for fighting and hunting
Leader - reduces effect of unhappy thoughts to nearby friendlies
Messy - produces more filth than other people
Selfish - unhappy thought for caring for other people when he is tired, hungry or wounded themselves

Shinzy

I just wanan link the other trait suggestion thread so nobody (Tynan) overlooks/forgets about it!
There's a lot of suggestions there aswell http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5690.0

Psyckosama

Flirt: Conversations with members of the opposing gender have twice the standard effect, for both good and ill.
Vegetarian: Gains a mood penalty when eating food that contains meat.
Berserker: Has a chance of suffering a violent mental break in combat. Gains a bonus to resistance to injury and combat ability, but is uncontrollable. Will drop any carried firearms and engaged in melee combat.
Twisted: This character enjoys torturing things. Will occasionally assault prisoners as if a warden under orders to beat them up, or if lacking prisoners will find wild animals to torture and kill.
Jerk: His social interactions have a much higher chance of angering the person they're talking to.