Alien like storyline

Started by todofwar, November 01, 2013, 07:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todofwar

I was thinking it would be cool if there was an alternative "alien" like storyline, where the colonists discover a hostile alien entity that swoops in and randomly kills/seriously wounds a colonist then leaves. You're forced to try and hunt it down, knowing that you will leave your base less well defended.

Semmy

Please use the search..
There are already multiple discussion about aliens.

And for now Tynan has stated that in the near future there wont be any.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Digital

Quote from: Semmy on November 01, 2013, 07:30:21 PM
Please use the search..
There are already multiple discussion about aliens.

Why do people respond with that... that really isn't very inviting to new people and speaks poorly of the games community.

ffs I finally bothered to setup my forum account and the second post I see is this.  The guy was interested and probably doesn't live on the forums here.  I'd expect better from "First Kickstarter Backer/Global Mod", even if there are more discussions about it how you approach it matters.

nomadseifer

Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

GeoMint

Digital, as much as i agree with your view. I must say that Semmy is kind of doing the right thing here, making it so that any things said previously don't have to be repeated. Makes sense holmes.

Finjinimo

You could do it a little like the megabeast type things in Dwarf Fortress.

But I kind of like the way it works in Don't Starve in that if you don't have light at night, then you start to take damage because there are bad things out there that you can't see... That would make solar eclipses much more serious. And give you something to be concerned about other than the next raider raid raid raid.

Semmy

I'm not trying to scare people away.
I'm just trying to point people towards other topics about certain things.

This is to try and prevent multiple topics about the same idea.
Edmund Burke

Digital

Quote from: GeoMint on November 01, 2013, 07:49:15 PM
Digital, as much as i agree with your view. I must say that Semmy is kind of doing the right thing here, making it so that any things said previously don't have to be repeated. Makes sense holmes.

It's the approach that matters. 

"l2search"

vs

"Many feel this would be an interesting mechanic, here are a few links to similar topics which you could look through and pool your ideas with.  You may even be able to find more by searching the forums.  Right now the developer has stated that it's not in the current plans, but this early in anything could happen."

Obviously this is an exaggeration for clarity, and I don't expect everyone to be friendly and inviting, but a mod? 

yabbadabbado

Regardless of the developers intentions, this game should have some kind of xenos threat. But fear not, modding can surely handle this.

Facehuggers, here we come. I'm hoping for some basic support for parasitic infestation mechanics, so animals can infect colonists with eggs that can explode them and grow more animals.

With only that modders can handle the rest.

todofwar

I did do a search, didn't find any threads relating to this type of story (not just aliens in general) so I decided to post a new thread. Searching forums isn't always straight forward, unless you have the time to read through every single thread that has been posted.

Semmy

the first pick when you type alien in search (-;

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=404.msg5461#msg5461

and some others from the search.
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=421.0
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.msg4903#msg4903

Aliens have been mentioned and answered alot.
Tynan might do some sorty of xenohuman one day. But not just straightup aliens
Edmund Burke

Finjinimo

Yes... but the story todofwar is referring to (at least as far as I interpret it) is that of the 'monster' alien type -- like in the films Alien, Aliens, The Thing, etc.

The threads you've linked to don't talk about that kind of storyline.

But yes, I dig the concept of finding some form of nasty critter out there that slowly picks off your colonists one by one. It doesn't necessarily have to be an 'alien' but I think the concept is an interesting one.