Kickstarter rewards ideas

Started by Tynan, September 26, 2013, 12:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Quote from: Zorbane on September 26, 2013, 05:23:31 PM
I don't know if this is possible but maybe a reward could be a special item when you start a game

Kickstarter: provides xx power.  Perfect to "kick start" up a new colony

It's a good idea, I'm just not sure how I'd administer that. Give the KS backers a code? People would share it, but I guess that's no problem.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Yarkista

Quote from: Tynan on September 26, 2013, 05:29:55 PM
Quote from: Zorbane on September 26, 2013, 05:23:31 PM
I don't know if this is possible but maybe a reward could be a special item when you start a game

Kickstarter: provides xx power.  Perfect to "kick start" up a new colony

It's a good idea, I'm just not sure how I'd administer that. Give the KS backers a code? People would share it, but I guess that's no problem.

Maybe it could be a generator from the escape pods that can be salvaged and jury rigged into a weak generator that can power a few lights.

Just don't make it too powerful is all I'm saying.

Zorbane

Yeah that's why I wasn't sure if it was doable or not :( I suppose the code thing could work if you don't care about it getting passed around later.

Quote from: Yarkista on September 26, 2013, 05:44:15 PM
Maybe it could be a generator from the escape pods that can be salvaged and jury rigged into a weak generator that can power a few lights.

Oh yeah for sure!  Something "nice".

I know you were trying to avoid physical things but what about something simple like postcards?  If you are able to get an artist he/she could design four postcards and a certain backer level gets to choose one of them and it gets printed by some third party and mailed out (I have no idea how much this would cost).  I can already see a "Welcome to RimWorld" card with a crashed ship in the background.

Yarkista

Quote from: Zorbane on September 26, 2013, 05:47:19 PM

Yeah that's why I wasn't sure if it was doable or not :( I suppose the code thing could work if you don't care about it getting passed around later.

Quote from: Yarkista on September 26, 2013, 05:44:15 PM

Oh yeah for sure!  Something "nice".

I know you were trying to avoid physical things but what about something simple like postcards?  If you are able to get an artist he/she could design four postcards and a certain backer level gets to choose one of them and it gets printed by some third party and mailed out (I have no idea how much this would cost).  I can already see a "Welcome to RimWorld" card with a crashed ship in the background.

Nyeh.. are physical copies a good idea? Shit like that can be expensive as fuck.

Zorbane

Quote from: Yarkista on September 26, 2013, 05:49:59 PM
Nyeh.. are physical copies a good idea? Shit like that can be expensive as fuck.

Yea that's why I was trying to think of cheap things

I did a quick google and on - http://www.vistaprint.ca/ - it's 20cents or less per postcard (100 minimum).  Of course that's just the printing, not mailing.

There's still the administrative side of things, getting the addresses etc...that takes time which is less tangible

Jakadasnake

There could be buried remains hidden randomly on the level that, when dug up, tell a simple short story told by a 5(?) select kickstarters. So, obviously, 5 remains randomly hidden. Easter eggs like that should appeal to your consumers.

Kickball

Special event they want (realistic), maybe one which is crazy but you can disable in the options like someone could want cows falling from the sky destroying stuff. (High end reward)

enystrom8734

Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 26, 2013, 04:56:09 PM
That's all I'm shoutin. Imagine your SO's reaction when she sees that giant planet pictured on your backside along with the logo.

Haha made me almost cry laughing so hard.

The finding hidden remains thing would be a neat idea.
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

thekillergreece

Quote from: Zorbane on September 26, 2013, 02:09:22 PM
Quote from: thekillergreece on September 26, 2013, 02:00:49 PM
Quote from: Yarkista on September 26, 2013, 01:46:58 PM
ugh christ, I hated how most of the bios in PA had shit grammar and spelling, relay ticked me off.
Dont forget its in Alpha...Beta will fix most things. This grammatical errors could happen to RimWorld when it enters Alpha..

those grammar and spelling mistakes are from user created bios, not by the devs at Introversion

They were written by the Developers...Not the game..

oasis789

Quote from: Tynan on September 26, 2013, 12:08:57 PM
Quote from: Yarkista on September 26, 2013, 12:06:35 PM
Quote from: Tynan on September 26, 2013, 12:01:06 PM
The Kickstarter is upcoming. Do you guys have any ideas for interesting rewards that you think would do well amongst backers? I've got the basics covered, but the more exotic stuff is tough to decide on. What kind of thing would interest you?

Names in the game, weapons designed or described by a backer placed into the game, thank you cards, and for the big money backers perhaps they could have a beer with you or something, idk but there's my two cents.

Names in the game are definitely in - weapons is an interesting idea too. Thanks.

How would backer names work with the procedural generation? Is it like having a 0.1% of seeing your name pop up in a settler or raider?

If so, Bear's Pit did something similar for the JA Flashback kickstarter. http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/319379.html

Where backers got to specify stuff like appearance, skills etc. You could reserve the right to reject names that were dirty or absurd, like MuthaFakker or xOxJohnShepardxOx would be not ok.

Zorbane

Quote from: thekillergreece on September 27, 2013, 12:22:08 AM

The bios are a perk of "paying more money"

Look at the "Name in the Game" pledge level : http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/

Tynan

Well, the game already uses databases of names (currently just drawn from various Internet names listings) and backgrounds (which I wrote a few of). It'll be straightforward enough to just add custom names/backgrounds to the listings.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Jakadasnake

Holy hell, I just had a crazy notion. I'm still fuzzy on all this kickstarter stuff but...

Select a couple of beneficiaries to have the artist loosely model a couple of character sprites from. Even if you end up with 16-bit models or whatever, that guy can always take pride in the fact that Settler X is him.

Edit: Sorry for not offering too much insight on the bio thing, I think it's a very sound idea and well-hashed out in this thread so I just wanted to try and toss a few more lemons into the pie.

British

I have to second Yarkista that physical "goodies" would most likely not be a good idea for this project.
If the game sparks as much interest as we all hope it will, the logistics would be crazy (not to mention the cost, and the time)...

We're talking about indie stuff here, so let's keep the costs (well, Tynan's) as low as possible.

thekillergreece

Quote from: Zorbane on September 27, 2013, 02:13:08 AM
Quote from: thekillergreece on September 27, 2013, 12:22:08 AM

The bios are a perk of "paying more money"

Look at the "Name in the Game" pledge level : http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/

The bios, are written,typed by IV developers.Nothing to do from game nor members.You can re-type the bios letters via settings on main.dat folder