Vents

Started by dragonid1423, December 11, 2014, 04:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonid1423

With the new heating system, I would have thought there would have been something to transfer temperature around without opening a hole in the wall. There isn't, Thus I present to you, the idea of Vents!

A vent would be built into an already existing wall like conduits do, and would act like an opening, but ONLY temperature would be able to go through these. Heaters/ Coolers would treat the vent as an opening too, so the outline would go through into the other room.

Because I am very bad at explaining things; basically its a vent, without built-in temperature control.
Sometimes I can hear the screams of the alpaca. I'm serious, please help me they're fighting again.

Ickum

This is definitely needed, especially during a heat wave when everyone is complaining horribly and I can't afford to place an AC unit in every bedroom and every room in my base..

Wex

This is beautiful in its semplicity. Approved.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

TwixFunSize

Yes! This is what I was thinking. IT would be good but cost metal or electricity

absentminded

Quote from: dragonid1423 on December 11, 2014, 04:06:01 PM
  A vent would be built into an already existing wall like conduits do, and would act like an opening, but ONLY temperature would be able to go through these.

What about ONLY temperature AND scary alien bugs.
I mean, why have vents if aliens can't scurry through them and jump out of them at colonists?
Maybe the megascarabs for example could use them, while nothing bigger could.

Weyrling

Quote from: absentminded on December 11, 2014, 09:11:10 PM
Quote from: dragonid1423 on December 11, 2014, 04:06:01 PM
  A vent would be built into an already existing wall like conduits do, and would act like an opening, but ONLY temperature would be able to go through these.

What about ONLY temperature AND scary alien bugs.
I mean, why have vents if aliens can't scurry through them and jump out of them at colonists?
Maybe the megascarabs for example could use them, while nothing bigger could.
This would turn the idea from great to perfect.

Chibiabos

Actually, how about vents with temperature controls?  That way you could have centralized heating and air ... do something useful during cold months with all that crazy heat from geothermal.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Drahkon

Like to see this in two types, manual and automatic.
Manual being.. well, manual. toggle it open/closed.
Automatic you select a temperature, and if the 'Green' side is closer to the target temperature than the 'White' side it leaks heat to equalize them at a medium pace. Slower and less versatile than AC for far lower power use. Fairly easy coding I think starting with a cooling unit as the base.

Someone could always mod it and see.

naxili

As a temporary measure, doors function the way that vents do (i.e. they let heat through) so its already possible to heat all your bedrooms by putting them on a single hallway - it just has a bit of a lag time.

Also... might would -probably- be possible to mod in a vent which was essentially a permanently locked door (this is assuming that doors dont just transfer heat while colonists are passing through them)

Mattorious

I approve of this idea. It would make the game just that much simpler and more intuitive.  :D
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

Jotun

Also would like to second this request, especially for bedrooms it's a bit silly to have to put a 100 metal heater in each one, rather than allowing them to share heat.

Possibly one other option would be to allow the vent to open or close based on temperature? So it can open if side A/B is above or below a certain temperature? Would be useful for allowing areas to hold their temperature better throughout the day.

rizay

I would love to see this implemented!

Flarestarchild

(moved comment from another topic) I was thinking of this as well when I was building my colonist bedrooms. Something like vents/fans in the walls that you can place to send the heat to adjoining rooms with a heating transfer penalty or electric power penalty to offset its advantage but it would still be impassable by people and large animals. Keep it that small animals like boomrats and squirrels can walk through it for that realistic feel.

Idlemind79

An overlay (like in Prison Architect) for utilities would be a welcome addition. In the overlay you could map out duct work and build a thermostat for each room. The furnace or/and ac unit (or maybe one piece of tech called "environment control") would have to look at the area affected and the settings for each room to calculate power draw. The only limitation I can think of to put in at this time would be a min/max on the temperatures attainable. You can't use it to freeze food, and you can't use it to induce heatstroke. Something like 12C to 20C would be the range *edit: so you can tailor the room to hot-skinned / cool-skinned comfort level, I didn't do the math though but that's the idea*.

Mechfried

maybe it could be just enough , if we can force door to be open.  :D