Started by Alistaire, February 08, 2015, 06:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alistaire

Hello,

I'm working on a quite complex mod that adds several apparel types:

• Torso
    • OnSkin: Tunic
    • Middle: Subarmalis (under-armour)
    • Shell: Several types of heavy armour (chainmail, plate armour)

I want to add a cape drawn over all of this, for cold climates. I want to add this to the Neck bodyPart, but this bodyPart doesn't have a bodyPartGroup. Some of the existing bodyPartGroups layer over the torso (listOrder > torso's listOrder), but these are layers like Teeth, Mouth, FullHead etcetera - nothing that would make sense for a cape to go on.

>>Is it okay to add another bodyPartGroup?

Another thing is that a cape would have to have multiple listOrders or so, because the front of the cape has to layer over armour but the back would have to be layered behind everything.
Apparello has a Poncho that is close to what I want, but I don't want the cape to BE the armour. It has to layer over it. This also brings us to the problem that some armours would have huge shoulderpads which would screw with the cape's sprite (armour peeking out and such).

>>Is it possible to have a single piece of apparel show graphics over and under a pawn?

I could fix some parts of this question by removing underarmour and putting the cape on the Torso Shell layer, but it would still not show graphics behind a pawn. A problem with having the cape on a Neck layer would of course be that the entire equipment system would have even more complexity with a whole nother clothing layer.

>>Should I strive for realism (lots of armour layers) or simplicity (merged armour + underarmour, merged armour + cape)?

Thanks!

Shinzy

You'd have to make new body group for the cape
and then some real coding stuff for the rest of it to work properly =P

So I'd suggest making caped and noncaped variants of the shell armours and shell layer cape
and a crafting recipe with which you can combine and separate them

that way you can have caped undergarments crusader
and full plated knights who won't boild during the summer/freeze in winter

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Alistaire

And another thing; will the pawnKinds wear warm clothing at all? And when will they stop wearing more warm clothing? I've added braccae (trousers) which act like parkas for legs and have a -18 comfyTemperatureMin, but wearing these would probably fulfil any temperature requirements for most cold climates. I'm not sure whether capes would be needed or even worn.

Shinzy

the only thing I've noticed is that during winter or the few months before everything and everyone will be wearing a parka regardless of what other options they have and even if they're not using the same apparel tags

so I can't really tell how it all works ;D

your pants may be way op though =P those and any old duster and your guys will be set for life