Fertilizer pumps...

Started by DDog, February 19, 2015, 02:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDog

Loving A9...  but I do miss the pumps....

Boboid

I certainly miss being able to remove unbuildable terrain.. don't miss the indoor farming though.
Chances are someone will mod them back in though as a lot of people relied heavily on pumps for their -exceptionally easy- food generation.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

ShadowTani

Yeah, I went to settle a boreal forest and totally ended up quitting a few in-game weeks later when I realized it where gone. I just don't manage to deal with having to build around all that marshland. Arid Shrubland it is then. *sigh*

JimmyAgnt007

I never used it for indoor farming, just mud removal.  I think the best solution would be manual mud removal, like smoothing stone.

ManWithNoName

It will soon be modded back in, I personally preferred the pumps over hydroponics don't know if it was just me but i felt they gave more food plus i just preferred the ground over basins placed everywhere. As for cost, of cause pumps were always cheaper.

How could it of been balanced?
Researching took longer/more researching steps needed
Pumps were one time use - ie you could not recover any steel back
Took longer to change the soil > More research could make it shorter
Ground after x months/years might need re-doing again > crop rotation?

There was something else but i forgot what it was when i started to stair into space... lol

OldVamp

It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

TheSilencedScream

I will miss fertilizer pumps.
I also never used them in-doors (honestly, I actually never thought of it), but it made marshes (slowly) manageable when trying to expand an outdoor colony.

Edit:
Quote from: OldVamp on February 19, 2015, 03:44:16 PM
shameless self promotion >  ;)

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9138

Not a bad idea at all. I'd like to see both as options, though, so that one could set up their colony either way (or, in some cases, both!).
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Vexare

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on February 19, 2015, 02:50:20 PM
I never used it for indoor farming, just mud removal.  I think the best solution would be manual mud removal, like smoothing stone.

Yes! This! I wonder if anyone's put that in the 'cheapest ideas' thread because I don't have time to read the whole thing but this is a fanstastic idea that should not be too difficult to program, right? But what do I know, I'm not Tynan!

I would love it if my colonists could 'dig' out the mud from some of the caves I've occupied in the beginning instead of having to wait until I had bricklaying researched and supplies enough to lay down a proper floor.

Boboid

Frankly, I'd settle for the ability to just concrete over marshland and other undesirable terrains, I rarely care about farming on it I mostly just don't want to have to build around it.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

Vonholtz

I liked the indoor farming over the hydroponics. It to easy to lose the crop with hydroponics. Any lose of power(flares or a short circuit)or a blight and you lose the whole crop. But indoor farming if you lose power the crops have some time before they are lost. You can get the power back before the crop is fully lost. I was having some bad runs with hydroponics where I lost 5 crops in a row. I will miss the pumps till someone mod's them in to game. :'(

tommytom

Quote from: OldVamp on February 19, 2015, 03:44:16 PM
shameless self promotion >  ;)

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9138
Me too:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10447
Suggestion for farming half of replacing fertilizer pumps rather than removing ground/etc.

I ran into the same problem with tundra/boreal biome realizing too late about the pumps being removed.
I am playing in a somewhat cold temperate forest now and sucessfully made an outdoor indoor farm (oxymoron!). However, I don't know how viable that is/was with the tundra/boreal biome I was in. It would require getting some wood extremely fast to build walls, 360w constant power for sunlamp, +200-400w for 2 heaters (to keep optimal growing, anyways), the power stations, all the metal required for this, not freeze to death, and not starve to death.

As long as you have a good hunter and enough to run a cook stove, I suppose it can hold you over until you get it up and running. It's a rough start, to say the least.

Though, I suppose that's if you pick the coldest possible one that has no trees and never warm enough to grow anything (what I picked). I wasn't ready for the challenge. Maybe another time.

Chibiabos

Devilstrand proved impossible to grow in hydroponics because solar flares happen too often.  They could also not be grown in Boreal or colder climes because the growing seasons were too short to allow them to mature.  They could only be grown indoors.  I know length-of-day has been lenghtened, but days-in-a-month shortened, not sure what the net effect is on the growing season, has anyone been able to successfully grow Devilstrand in Boreal or Tundra biomes in Alpha 9?
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

tommytom

Quote from: Chibiabos on February 19, 2015, 08:18:31 PM
Devilstrand proved impossible to grow in hydroponics because solar flares happen too often.  They could also not be grown in Boreal or colder climes because the growing seasons were too short to allow them to mature.  They could only be grown indoors.  I know length-of-day has been lenghtened, but days-in-a-month shortened, not sure what the net effect is on the growing season, has anyone been able to successfully grow Devilstrand in Boreal or Tundra biomes in Alpha 9?
As long as you can survive long enough to put walls around normal soil, heat, sun lamp, sustainable power, it should be possible I'm already doing that in temperate forest that is cold, but I got a head start. The question is if you can survive long enough to be able to spare resources/time on outdoor-indoor devilstrand farm, no the other way around, I would think.

I'd like to try it eventually.

Boboid

I *think* solar flare frequency has been reduced quite substantially in A9.
That was certainly my experience in all my games during the public test.

Might have to ask for conformation on that one!

Vonholtz

Quote from: Boboid on February 19, 2015, 09:25:01 PM
I *think* solar flare frequency has been reduced quite substantially in A9.
That was certainly my experience in all my games during the public test.

Might have to ask for conformation on that one!

I hope this is true.